• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Warning!!!! Your accounts are being taken over by hackers!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

Our forum is under attack by people who post what appear to be crypto Telegram links, but they likely contain viruses that infect the computers of those who click them.

Do NOT under any circumstances click on these links, or quote the messages that contain them.

If you see such posts, quickly report them to our rule-violation reports thread, so our staff members can delete them.

Here is what they look like:

Screenshot_20230117_211822_Firefox.jpg

According to our available information, it appears that the hackers are using programs to brute force access the accounts of members with weak passwords.

Everybody please make sure that you have sufficiently strong passwords that use a mixture of letters, numbers, and symbols, and use at least 17 to 18 of them in combination, and also always use two-factor authentication if possible.

I extremely strongly recommend that everybody who read this follow these instructions to get stronger passwords and two-factor authentication, and inform all other members here that they know about it as well.

Last edited:
Let's banish them to the Shadow Realm
jhp4hEW.jpg

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the accounts that have been hacked have also been relatively inactive correct?

Don’t click on the links for the love of god but you may be ok (for now) if you’re still an active user even if you did happen to click on it.
No, at least one of them had been active in a normal manner just hours previously.

Good god Ant has a zillion things in his inbox
I knew he was busy, but this put's it into perspective...
Either way
Also @Antvasima wouldn't it be good to make it so this thread shows up in the news feeds of everything as well?

Just to be sure that people don't accidentally miss out on this thread.

I agree with this sentiment. It would be helpful in spreading awareness of the ongoing situation.

Also @Antvasima wouldn't it be good to make it so this thread shows up in the news feeds of everything as well?

Just to be sure that people don't accidentally miss out on this thread.
I have been busy instructing our forum system manager how to extend our wiki administrator rights so they can now delete and moderate posts in ALL of our sub-forums, as, with all due respect to Promestein and Ryukama, it turned necessary to cover that security risk given the latest developments here.

Guess we entered the Ratrace against scammers now. A shame
Yes, see above. If our forum system administrator did not give moderating rights over all sub-forums to FC/OC and Joke Battles administrators as well, please send me a PM message about it later.

I've seen those scam bots engage in staged comment threads all over YouTube, it's pretty awful they've contaminated the forum too. If possible I recommend peeps download a spam detector/blocker or just avoid the external forum completely until this situation gets resolved.

Agreed 100%, please always make sure to keep accounts secure and do not click on dangerous URLs and especially do not give anyone log in information's or passwords if they link you to what look like disguised log in forms but URLs do not exactly match the traditional log in URLs otherwise seen on those web pages/forms.

I am curious why medeus can’t use her dragon powers to make the scam bots go away?
I do Spam clean their posts and ban them. But they always come back with more accounts and of course there's the usage of VPNs and extra Email Addresses to get around those barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back