• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wario "tanks" the destruction of the universe... but not really

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I never claimed I was objectively correct all the time, only that I was one of the main people who wrote it and thus one of the main people who knew full context on the policies. And it was approved by multiple staff members; Matthew Schroeder's 3 point stuff also had point 1 and 3 accepted but point 2 rejected. Logically because it is agreed that there needs to be proof that a dimension was actually created, not just teleported to a starry sky area and not just hand wave and a starry sky background appears. But if a "Worldwide Dimension" was formed, the logical assumption is to assume the outer space is an actual outer space. And having backgrounds that warp rapidly just means the character has great power over it. Last I checked, most of the people who were active on the thread were me, Ultima, and Andy. Even DontTalkDT basically said he didn't have much energy to give a proper debate but basically agreed I hammered the nail with my descriptions. And even Bambu also complimented thinking I was the one hammering the nail on another thread that discussed the same thing. So in other words, I did have approval from several staff members and I kind of do deserve half the credit or a 3rd at worst that DT got for making the page; though he clearly deserves most of it.

But still, we do not really have the biggest set policy on secondary canon sources. But this is the usual practice, we typically ignore it if it's outright contradictory. For example, if the main game says planet while the official website says universe, we go with planet. Likewise, if the main game says Universe while the secondary source says planet, we also go with universe since primary takes precedence. But if the main game just says world or dimension which literally doesn't give us anything beyond a bench mark and not a cap, while the secondary canon is more specific on the universe stuff, the secondary canon source becomes viable. Also, European websites are usually better with translations than Nintendo of America as they likely have translated to multiple languages, not just Japanese to English. But Dark649 has a history of translating Italian sources that turn out to be closer to what the Japanese translations actually are. So that's another reason to give credit. Also, it's mostly Wario's Treasure that gets transformed; debates could be made about basement because that's where most of his treasure is stored, but his entire castle can also be considered part of his treasure as it's a castle he conquered and basically stole. But either way, what he transformed into the parallel universe isn't the relevant part, what matters is the fact that he created a parallel universe in the first place.

But if the main game just says world or dimension which literally doesn't give us anything beyond a bench mark and not a cap, while the secondary canon is more specific on the universe stuff, the secondary canon source becomes viable.
This is not even secondary canon. A European website for a Japanese game would be way farther from just secondary canon. Secondary canon in this case would be game manuals and guidebooks released by the main Japanese branch, or even the Japanese website.

Secondly this is only viable when the secondary canon is written as a matter of fact article. We know it isn't written that way when it gets the most basic thing wrong. That immediately puts the accuracy and research that went into writing it into question. And in such cases, we dismiss it based on our canon rules.

Moreover, when the only evidence for such a huge claim is a questionable statement from something farther away from the main canon that has zero mention of it in the canon material or any piece of media that is closer to it, then that becomes inherently weak.

And when there is visual evidence from the primary canon that blatantly contradicts the presence of celestial bodies in the so called "universe", to get around which you require even more assumptions like "they are warped to be made unreal", then this requires even more solid proof (more than a questionable statement from a secondary canon). In lack of which, we can't treat those "unreal" celestial bodies as actual ones and apply our standards and calculations that are meant for the actual celestial bodies. Accepting these as real would be in clear violation of the very first and foremost requirement of the creation feats standards.

I see this thread has achieved nothing after being reopened. The same arguments are being rehashed and the thread is getting stonewalled for no purpose. It's clear that we disagree with each other, and when that happens, we should take votes into account instead of arguing endlessly. (Which we already did earlier.)

Last edited:
wouldnt it fall under the same situation as using the north american zelda sites for windfish and golden goddesses ratings, which we currently accept (windfish is currently in contention, but that isnt the point)
This isn't a CRT on Zelda, pointing out a possible issue with those pages does not refute the issues with the Black Jewel feat

Website likely not even written by development team of said game is an issue.

And please, its a pretty popular trend to look up "but what does the Japanese version say??". A lot of recent Mario upgrade attempt threads have used them.

Nintendo of Europe has a lot more reason to be secondary canon than Nintendo Power, and Nintendo Power has even more reason than Prima Guides; those go without saying. Not going to say whataboutisms even if they're already said above. But the reason the latter are accepted is because Nintendo still gave them permission to elaborate on the lore; Nintendo of Europe's case is they already have permission due to being associated with Nintendo. And this isn't the same case of people asking staff rhetorical questions on Twitter to get a "Yeah sure, whatever" this is a literally published source by the very company that owns rights to the game.

Honestly I feel like if those are only arguments for things, then maybe yeah.

But that would be a bigger general issue to tackle.
Then this just goes into my issue with dismissing the noe statement as lower canon. This logic applies to all games sites and like 99% of game guides (prima,brady) which several verses on site use.

Considering how frequently game guides get location names, event triggers, and collectable locations wrong, I'm not sure why people think the game companies endorse and QA them beyond the bare minimum.

We have a lot of profiles with inaccurate ratings or that use improper evidence. That just means they have to be downgraded and sorted out instead of giving an unjust upgrade based on inaccurate logic just because it managed to slip by reliable evaluation in the past.

Honestly, instead of both sides spamming whataboutisms here, we should just make another thread talking about verdict on secondary canon sources altogether. We regarding how we used back before 2018, but nowadays people complain the opposite. I know it's an even split, and Kepekley at the time made a massive breakdown about how we used to ignore secondary canon works and has consistently complained to other staff members about the consistent double standards combined with immediate rejection without looking into the story of how the sources got made in the first place. I know not all retired staff members are reliable by today's standards, but this was a case where he brought up a lot more good points.

But yes, this is on the list of site wide jobs that we would need a lot of active staff being available to tackle and that's assuming people aren't pushing for other site wide revisions already.

Yeah, no offence to anyone, but if you think a guide being stated to be "Officially Endorsed by Nintendo", stated to meet "Nintendo's Licensing Standards", given the " Nintendo Seal of Approval", or went through a "Strict Evaluation Process" isn't mostly marketing smoke and mirrors to state they did the bare minimum QA to make sure it didn't include any unsuitable content or wasn't complete fabrications by a guy who had absolutely no contact with the development team, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

It's not even a guidebook it's a random blurb on a website written by who knows? The only credential is that it's Nintendo UK.

im just pointing out we accept those kinds of guides across numerous verses. Seems odd to write off Nintendo of europe and still accept those
Context matters. This is a website not a guide. A website that can't get its facts right, which instantly tells you it's not written to be matter-of-fact thing. It makes an egregious claim unfounded in any other media. The canon source shows visual proof that it is in fact far from being true and would make you go through hoops to explain it which would require ridiculous assumptions. Such assumptions always come with the caveat of proving them with the same amount of concrete proof. Occam's razor goes heavily against those assumptions.

Not everything can be measured by a single scale because there is always some context that is different. This isn't a hard and fast thing.

Last edited:
And please, its a pretty popular trend to look up "but what does the Japanese version say??". A lot of recent Mario upgrade attempt threads have used them.
In fairness, not really. At least for verses not like Mario anyway. A lot of verses here at times get away with not using their original language (and one time where I asked what does the OG language say for one verse trying to get an upgrade, I was outright told it was ridiculous to ask that).

This keeps giving me a reminder actually to make a thread about our translation standards, but thats beside the point for this thread.

The only potential argument that holds weight is if we ignore the universe thing as then the size is unknown.

But again, the game's plot says it transforms "Wario's World" as well, and given we do see it can have stars in the sky the only logical assumption is that it's range extends that far.

Also, they bring up a good point. Why do YOUR guides and excerpts from sites have to hold more credibility than Nintendo of Europe? These arguments all stem from secondary sources. The official game says literally nothing about the castle becoming a world or whatever, all we have is Black Jewel wanting to make his treasure into real evil things.

If you want to argue primary source, i.e. the game itself, then perhaps mention how there's no statement of world creation within it and how it's story is rather barebones to begin with and try to use that. But you didn't. You continue to insist "well that source doesnt count!!" and use others as reference for something as small as a location being mentioned that is a PART of the damn castle anyways, with other sources just as valid saying it warped "Wario's World" too which can indeed support the universe claim.

Oh no, now the castle comment is contradictory! It can't be used!

The Japanese site does indeed claim that Black Jewel transformed the castle into a mysterious world, but it also "could've been written by anyone"

Regardless, even if you want to fully believe in the secondary japanese source, "world" is still at the least determinable at a lowball to mean the planet, given context such as Wario finding jewels from "all across the world" with "world" equating to planet there. At worst, we just get a potential Tier 5 feat from this.

Can someone summarize what each supplementary source says about the feat? Do they conflict with each other?

Basically:

- "Black Jewel turned Wario's World into a different place"

- "The castle was turned into a mysterious world"

- "The basement was transformed into a parallel universe"

The castle one is probably most consistent? I haven't checked other translations. But the basement having been transformed is still technically true as it is a part of the castle anyways. The only blatant statement with no relation to the castle is the world one.

The whole planet or ‘World’ being affected isn’t supported by context so I disagree with it being Tier 5, it’s expressly clear it just turned Wario’s castle or basement into a pocket dimension of possibly stellar - universal proportions.

Speaking of, I’m still wholly neutral on whether this is Tier 4/2, but am fine with applying whatever consensus this comes to.

Last edited:
I don't see why you'd disagree with this context but agree to the "context" for Low 2-C Power Stars but you do you

It seens rather blatant world means planet at the very least and it's literally contextually supported I dunno what to tell you.

Not saying it's a definite Tier 5 feat but if Tier 2/4 is scrapped that's clearly the only other way the feat gets a tier.

To clarify I'm not saying the world was effected, I'm saying the world Black Jewel creates would at least have to be Tier 5 given context with what "world" has been referred to as in the same game.

It seens rather blatant world means planet at the very least and it's literally contextually supported I dunno what to tell you.
Mind explaining how planet is contextually supported?

Edit: Ah, saw your edit. I don’t see how that’s substantial either. In this franchise the term ‘World’ refer to areas of less-than-planetary size so we can’t give 5-B for that word alone.

Black Jewel creates a world.

World was used to clearly acknowledge the planet Wario has traveled across to acquire many of his treasures, thus, "world" means planet contextually, and we can assume at the very least the world Black Jewel created can be a planet as the absolute lowest interpretation of the feat.

Ok, AKM has shown me this supposed parallel universe and all I can say is that it shouldn't count as a real universe by wiki standards. Half the sky is night and the other half is day. This is not a real sky nor does it operate as such. We can't assume the bare minimum which is just a starry sky because the game doesn't even give us that.

Like Nintedo seal of approval aside, how did Wario in any way tank the universe's destruction?

World was used to clearly acknowledge the planet Wario has traveled across to acquire many of his treasures, thus, "world" means planet contextually, and we can assume at the very least the world Black Jewel created can be a planet as the absolute lowest interpretation of the feat.

"Black Jewel turned Wario's World into a different place"

You are right that the source that states the above is also the source that acknowledges that Wario travelled the world (on another page). But the problem here is that it states that "Black Jewel changed Wario's world into quite a weird place". World can mean the castle itself since that is the only thing that mattered to Wario at that point. But even if you assume he warped the planet, that would be reality warping on a planetary scale/range. As far as the actual creation goes, he did not create an entirely new planet from scratch, just changed the appearance of the existing one with his RW. Thus changing his world into a weird place by changing its properties.

Last edited:
I do disagree with the random planetary assumptions yeah. I still disagree with the OP regarding the outcome as I still think the source is credible as with our policy on secondary canon sources if primary canon sources are bare bones to begin with. That was one thing I do agree from Fox. But it appears I'm outvoted and do not care too deeply for the specific feat anymore, and I know Dino Ranger Black doesn't like getting pinged back and forth for stuff on the verse anymore either. I know Gyro also had his own thought to give for other things, but I'd rather not rush him.

They're not random. Did you read? God. Why participate when it feels like no one reads?

I'm using the same logic used for other CRTs this site is so hypocritical.

Suddenly contextual evidence to support what "world" might mean isn't okay to use when it has in the past. Okay.

I'm also done here. Why bother to care

Here is current vote tally.

EDIT:

Completely agree with OP: AKM sama, Seol404, Armorchompy, TMaakkonen, Starter_Pack, Ogbunabali, SamanPatou, KingTempest, Eficiente, Damage3245, Cropfist

Disagree with removing the Creation feat: Dino_Ranger_Black, DarkDragonMedeus, GyroNutz, Foxthefox1000, Starsprite53
Can somebody update this list? Nothing new of value has been added here, only more people have ended up agreeing that the feat is not usable. The creation should probably remain unknown.

Completely agree with OP: AKM sama, Seol404, Armorchompy, TMaakkonen, Starter_Pack, Ogbunabali, SamanPatou, KingTempest, Eficiente, Damage3245, Cropfist, Everything12, Sir_Ovens

Disagree with removing the Creation feat: Dino_Ranger_Black, DarkDragonMedeus, GyroNutz, Foxthefox1000, Starsprite53, LuckyEmile, The_real_cal_howard

If anyone missed out, please say agree or disagree clearly.

man what the **** is with me getting into all these big CRTs of late, this much reading can't possibly be healthy

I agree with the OP, the Wario feat has actual absurd amounts of questionable details. Even if the OP's interpretation doesn't end up being the primary one we stick with down the line, it's simply far too questionable to take this as the highest interpretation. Something something extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

So yeah mark me with completely agree.

It seems like there is sufficient agreement to apply this then.

What puzzles me the most isn't even the entire discussion about what's it's real, what's not and why, but why would the Jewel's hax scale to its attacks.

I know it feeds on greed and grows more powerful through it, but greed isn't its Universal Energy System. The Jewel doesn't fire lasers made of pure greed, it's just a form of empowerment. It's a rather common trope in fiction to have evil characters getting stronger through the negative emotions of others, but that alone is far from being enough to justify an actual connection between the Jewel's reality warping hax and attacks.
Lasers aren't even the only way its has to attack Wario, it also rams at him, creates shockwaves and fires crates and cartoonish bombs. All of these things can harm Wario and I don't think we have enough evidences to say these powers are all connected to its reality warping.

Moreover, the Spritelings have similar reality warping powers, which are used by them to fix Wario's castle and its surroundings. As you can see from this video, after the Jewel's death its creation fades aways, leaving just a white void. After that, Wario has a brief talk with the Spritelings (whose number depends on how many of them were saved by Wario throghout the game), who then proceed to restore the world with their magic powers.
The more Spritelings have been saved, the better Wario's house will be, ranging from a tent in the forest up to the original shining castle, with various degrees of buildings in the middle.

The white void isn't even a transition as it could look like, because Wario needs the help of the Spritelings in order to have his castle back. If it was just a transition, Wario would just have to wait and his old manor would be back as it was before the game. This tells us that the white void is a permanent one, and even a single Spriteling has the power to restore reality to a basic level (a forest) and grant Wario something (a tent).

The Spritelings are also the ones who sealed the Jewel in the past, which could further point out to a connection or similarities of their powers, with reality warping being a magical ability shared by all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back