• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Translation Request Thread

Celestial_Pegasus

VS Battles
Administrator
So myself and others feel that having a translation request thread would be a fairly useful thing to have. Translating is hard work so we decided that if we are to have a translation request thread it has be with certain rules:

1. It's voluntary not mandatory, users are volunteering to help others with translations as such other users shouldn't whine or complain if they don't get translations quickly or at all.

2. If someone is asking for something to be translated, it shouldn't be more than a paragraph or two, no one has the time to translate entire chapters or books. If someone post like a whole chapter that takes up a lot of the thread we should delete that, no one has time to translate all that.

3.This thread could be used to translate any language, as long as there are users who are familiar with those languages and can help with translations, we already have people familiar with Japanese, Korean, Russian, etc but again it's voluntary, people would help because they want to, they don't have to.

This sounds like an excellent idea.

This does sound like a good idea. I support this and I'm able to help out with Latin if necessary (as limited a scope as that is).

I'm avaiable for French I guess. I doubt there is much work of fiction in French that are untranslated though.

I am available for Korean. But I won't translate entire Namu Wiki pages

There's no much franchise originally in spanish, but for any, I can help with translate that.

Imho I support this idea because:

• It's voluntary, so it's not as if we're forcing people to do the work.
  • It can help find feats
  • We are a pretty large community, so there should be people who can translate a variety of languages if needed
Unfortunately I can't help to translate anything, for which I apologise.

Well, not like there's many published content in filipino (maybe the tagalog anime dubs with the annoying names for the lulz) but if there is any at all, I suppose I can help.

Also If someone post like a whole chapter that takes up a lot of the thread we should delete that, no one has time to translate all that.

I know Vietnamese (Even though there is no such franchise for that matter that originally has Vietnamese in it if I am not mistaken and the fact it is quite rare to get a series that is originally Vietnamese). However I am rusty with it so I do need to touch on that when I have the time.

I am able to do Latin, but there is not much latin usually, usually latin is just for move names

I think this is an awesome idea. Personally I find it very bothersome and annoying to have to use stuff such as Google Translate which is usually incorrect. I'd be very appreciative with getting help with translating things.

Gemmysaur said:
From the looks of it, I think we need more japanese people in the wiki. Lol.
I have seen that japanese people tend to avoid english forums. I have rarely seen active japanese debaters online in any site.

I am a proud Japanese woman, so I have Japanese, though I am VERY reluctant to do so given some recent mess involving my brother and this wiki (don't ask). But because I take pride in my honor, I'll consider helping the wiki.

While i myself is unable to translate anything, i do like this idea of having a thread like this.

Pretty what Kruvkov said is what i say this thread should be all about.

And i do agree with what Celestial said earlier. People who volunteer to translate stuff are actually using their time to look into them, translate whatever language they are reading on to English, and relaying it back to here. They don't have time to translate things like a whole chapter or wikia pages that contain info from other verses as what Sera said.

Just give like a paragraph of a feat or ability here and the others who can speak the language can try and do their work.

Also please note that we don't want to mixed up the languages or unknownly mistaken any languages for another one despite their similarities/differences.

I can help translating portuguese, considering I'm brazilian myself, but just like others have stated here, it's not going to be used much.

I'm studying japanese, though. So, perhaps I can help on it in the future?

Hm. If Tsubaki won't translate, than I will translate Japanese if I have the time. Though...Tsubaki would be the best for translation because she worked as a translator before. I hope you do consider to help out sis, I won't force you though.

If you can help that's fine, if you can't that's also fine, as this is voluntary, you don't have to if you don't want to. I think it's obvious though that some translations aren't going to be used a lot if not at all, and the most commonly asked translations will be for japanese.

Honestly I think it is best to delete redundant comments as it is best to not get too personal about it. Despite my nature of helping people when I can, I do find it annoying that comments are said before are said again or was clearly stated in the OP.

Edit: Mainly because this will cause a huge clutter of page and will result of being laggy for people who see already overfilled threads to said over 200 or so.

Yes redundant comments should be deleted, also off topic comments should also be deleted, i am sure this thread will have a lot of comments so we can't waste space on stuff that's not on topic.

Yup. What Celestial has said here.

And yeah, the comments that are redunted or off-topic here are most likely on being deleted so...

Celestial Pegasus said:
It would be prohibited to hound them on their walls to translate stuff, they will translate what and when they feel like, as this is voluntary.
I think this should be written in bold in the OP when/if this is implemented.

@Colonel I happen to agree with that rule to an extent. Though If the thread get overloaded with too many requests though it is unlikely to happen, then the people who wants a request could do on other people's wall as long they have common sense and is reasonable about their request. It is not like they gonna spam it as the one who got request or the one who did request it could close that message wall.

@Starkiller215 The purpose of this thread is to help others get translations that they need, i have never seen anyone ask someone on their wall to translate anything, it would kinda defeat the purpose i think if everyone just started to message each other on their wall for translations, people are doing this out of the goodness of their heart, they could be doing other things. I mean with calculation requests you can ask calc members on their wall to help calc something, however the difference here is that calc members were placed in those positions to help with calcs, the people who would be helping with translations are just regular members using their time to help others, they weren't placed in positions specifically for this, we don't have "translator" as a staff position, if we did i think it would be ok to ask them on their wall, but since we don't, i don't think it's ok to ask people for translations on their wall, unless they say they are ok with it.

@Celestial Fair point, but it is a likely option in case things get a little too messy here. Some people wouldn't mind getting asked of doing the request on their wall as well such as myself.

I agree with stark. Although this is volunteer work it might be somewhat unfair to turn down the members who do have reasonable fair requests because of others who are spamming their own requests and what not.

Hmm we should probably limit how much you can ask to be translated like you can only have 2 things translated in a day or something, so everyone can get a chance at getting their stuff translated however this would only apply if the thread gets cluttered with request, as i said before some translation like for Latin or Portuguese probably won't be used a lot and Japanese will be the most asked, i just don't want ven and sera to feel overworked for something they are volunteering to do. I think we should stick to don't bother them on their wall, they should follow the thread if they want to help, and can choose when and what to translate as it's voluntary.

@Celestial True as everyone has their own stuff to do and etc,. I think limiting to five translation requests per week will definitely do and the quotes or whatever they provided along with the request will do for sure.

Yea, i think we should limit the request for sure, so everyone has a fair chance of getting what they want translated, i would have no problem monitoring the thread to ensure that everyone is getting a fair chance of getting what they want translated, anything over the request limit would get deleted.

Back