• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I'm taking a shot at this. SpongeBobs town level feats being rejected seems hardly legit. I'll cover the reasons that I've seen most popular to reject them, if there are anymore, I'll go over what I think of them. But here's these for now

1. Stomped by Humans/Animals

This means absolutely nothing. Humans outclassing spongebob doesn't mean spongebob can't be town level. It just means Humans, Seagulls, and animals upscale it, or it's just PIS. Humans have shown they can clearly be superhuman. David Hasselhoff (The Spongebob Squarepants Movie), Jim Bob, and most importantly. Someone who literally has survived a town area feat, Patchy the Pirate and Potty the Parrot. Another example. Burger Beard survived a MCB level attack and was just fine afterwards. All these people are obviously superhuman, and some even showed urban level survivability.

2. Stock footage is unreliable and not animated

This is because this show still takes place in a real world setting. There has been only 1 instance in the over 20 year show where it showed above ground animated. This being the mermaid man and Barnacle boy origins. However this is even on thin ice at best due to how inconsistent they are with their past, and the footage shown isn't the original footage, as nobody was around to actually be recording all of that. The fact it was animated likely means the people running the show just made it that way, and simply got the story from mermaid man and barnacle boys perspective, and on top of that, they even have trouble remembering how their past actually was. They Kept arguing about what actually happened, meaning it all together could be unreliable.

Aside from that, The only animated thing is the spongebob cast. The movies above ground is IRL, the explosion is IRL, they went onto land in a few episodes and it wasn't animated above ground, The movie had The Cyclops as a real person, as well as his shop, The Birthday Bash had above ground IRL, and Patchy the Pirate even stayed non animated when he went to spongebob himself. Considering they have even referred to the bomb as nuclear and it once was caused through literal atom splitting, saying it's not animated and stock footage isn't reliable has no real ground to stand on. This show has been consistent on what above ground looks like (which says a lot coming from a cartoon). And they did In fact animate the explosion when it was underwater. We clearly see it being drawn as it grows bigger than bikini bottom, then stock footage taking over as it got above ground into IRL territory. They show this footage as that's what happened, but they wouldn't animate an explosion over real waters in how weird that would look. Look at Patchy being under water in an animated world already looks strange. This backed up even more by the fact they swapped to 3D models for the movie when going above ground. So stock footage is reliable.

3. The explosions doesn't destroy the town

That's just because cartoon logic. Realistically, an explosion that big, also happening underwater would do far more damage that is shown on the town. So that kind of logic would contradict itself when looking at it like that, and we shouldn't even look at it like that. It wasn't destroyed for the same reasons a planet level person punching the ground doesn't destroy the planet. If anything, just just says more about thr towns durability than it does the explosions force. They are meant to be nuclear, it's even downright staged by plankton once to be nuclear.

4. They tend to be comically weak

We don't use their comical gags that make them planet level, which they have a few of. Why would we go back on that logic here? Spongebob is made to be haha funny weak at times with being unable to lift a q-tip, when on a Much Much MUCH more consistent basis, he shows to be vastly stronger than his haha funny moments. This is essentially a Mr. Burns thing. Burns is made to be comically weak at times, but when you actually sit and look at his average feats, he isn't as weak as he is placed out to be. Not to mention, LS and AP are different, and a show isn't always to be accurate on their strength levels. They aren't making it with the intention of always making him one level of strength. Spongebob is going to vary on what he can do, as will a lot of other characters. But that's not reason to downright deny town stuff. Using that logic, Spongebob wouldn't even be allowed a wall level key considering what he fails to lift or is shown to be would be under wall level at times.

So the reasons I've seen behind this don't seem to stand. Being stomped means nothing, considering these people clearly show to be superhuman anyway, and it really just means they upscales. Stock footage is reliable considering how consistent they are about above ground. (And considering this is a Cartoon like sponge bob being consistent above something, it's pretty clear what they intend), the explosion not destroying the town has several flaws in it and essentially is cartoon physics, and their comically weak moments is just haha funny humor moments and are far more contradicted by their normal feats than their funny moments. They mean for these to be nuclear, Plankton even literally states it. Calling it nuclear, I'm not sure there's a more clear way to make it that these should be legit.

The "didn't destroy the town" argument was always so weird to me. That's such a common thing, we have our own term for it - Area of Effect Fallacy, which this clearly goes into.

I have generally thought Tier 7 Spongebob was consistent enough, so I agree here as well.

>"Humans outclassing spongebob doesn't mean spongebob can't be town level. It just means Humans, Seagulls, and animals upscale it, or it's just PIS"

This is wrong tho, it does mean they are above Spongebob in the way it's portrayed. Not for nothing Spongebob has a variable tier, if he's tier 7 in some episodes due to toon force then so be it, but in the rest of them he's as weak as always.

What are all the feats, btw? Even the outliers, I may support this if consistent.

As far as the humans point. As I brought up. They have feats of their own that have been as far as Urban, and are always prorated right be vastly above Spongebob. Like Patchy survived a small town feat and Burger beard a MCB feat. Jim Bob just multiples a bunch of arms, and moves fast enough to create after images, and even potty lifted overpowers patchy and has flow at faster than hypersonic speeds. The humans we have been show are all vastly vastly superior to a normal human. Would be far fetched to say normal humans are just notably stronger. Every almost human we have seen has shown to be superhuman in some manor. (With the exception of background characters). And they always are portrayed as superior to spongebob. So it's both they have had urban feats, And are parried as superior. Doesn't seem unreal to say they just are able to upscale.

I'll need to find more of the instances. But here's a few. The first one being a video that contains a few of them (like 4 or 5 of them).

first explosion here

here

here

planktons literal atom splitting one

It's a consistent thing shown with large scale explosions.

The town feat they scale to uses footage of an actual nuclear explosion, so the upgrade treats it as an actual nuclear explosion

More recent nukes are. But the nukes shown are town level iirc. We could maybe get the around above exact nukes given we know the place they were dropped at and time that they used these footages. But it's safest bet at town unless we find more context.

I have always agreed with tier 7 spongebob, so I agree to this.

I was confused why, if they consistently portray nuclear explosions, why it is deemed "inconsistent"

Finally, someone did this, I never got why Spongebob was always an exception when it came to AP/durability buffs whereas other cartoon characters who are more inconsistent got freebies, not to mention there has only been one time in the series where a human was ever considered a threat to Spongebob (The first movie)

In short, I agree

I agree with Sigurd and Eficiente. The nuclear explosion should be rescaled relative to the size of the miniature city, and the characters should not be treated as consistently this strong.

You guys make this hard to evaluate, forget how the tier may end up looking in the profile, what matters is the evidence of everything, with that everyone will be able to be mindful of all the context and accept what needs to be accepted. So it would be good to have all the feats with explanations of what's going on in them (to see if they are AP or durability feats, and what characters are in them), calcs on them or if not approximations of what level they would have.

I posted several of the explosions above @Eficiente

The explosions shown above are ones they are at the center of and survived and from the looks, are the same explosions done during Operation Crossroads. Which had nukes around 23 Kilotons.

Already covered that point. As did someone above. Basically, an explosion that big would logically have wiped out the building regardless. Even if we didn't compare it to a nuke. So using that logic contradicts itself. An explosion that grew that big, nuclear or not, would have done way more destruction than what was shown even just by its size. Basically what was said above

"That's such a common thing, we have our own term for it - Area of Effect Fallacy, which this clearly goes into."

There is hundreds to thousands of feats and instances where said explosion should have done way more than what happened across the area. Cartoon physics.

I'm going to remain neutral for now.

If this gets denied once more a new discussion rule is to be done out of how much this has been done.

Didn't we already finish this discussion long ago after lots more posts?

It seems much better to start a new thread later if you really need to.

Also, content revision are not allowed right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back