• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tier 9-A Partners in Crime Tournament; Round 2 Match 3: Sub-Zero & Scorpion VS Pyro & Engineer (0-0-0)

Sub-Zero & Scorpion VS Pyro & Engineer

re9w3fe.png

Battle Conditions
  • Combatants start 30 meters away from each other and not within each others line of sight
  • Speed Equalized
  • All combatants are restricted to 9-A (Unless their arsenal and whatnot already fit into 9-A)
  • All combatants have their Standard Equipment
  • Battle takes place in a shopping mall at night.
  • Otherwise, Standard Battle Assumptions
Combatants
Votes
Sub-Zero & Scorpion
Pyro & Engineer
Spinning Fish

Note: I wrote this before seeing the actual Thread, so paragraphs may feel disjointed.

Scorpion & Sub-Zero have the skill advantage for being trained ninjas since birth, fought multiple battle against comparable foes, proficient in multiple martial arts, yadda yadda yadda, returning voters get the idea. If anyone wants me to elaborate, I can, but it just be a huge chunk of text.

I've seen in Pyro's and Engineer's match that Engineer would be making turrets while Pyro keeps the duo away. If that is a false premise, please correct me. I don't want to sound conceited, but this match-up looks like an open and shut case. Pyro's main attacks are Fire Manipulation, which both Sub-Zero and Scorpion resist, up to 3000*. Scorpion quite literally no sold Fire Manipulation from Sektor, while Sub-Zero resisted it normally. If Pyro tries to go for melee, then he'd just get beat up with the skill and martial arts difference. Sub-Zero and Kuai Lang is 376.56 megajoules, while Pyro and Engineer are 255.35 Megajoules. I'm not sure how much of a times difference that is, but they have 121.21 megajoules of a difference. Even if Pyro's "Stronger than before" justification comes into argument, I don't see it making up the difference of an entire 100 megajoules of force.

Now, I do remember TF2 supporters saying that Pyro would stand back and protect Engineer while he is using his Construction and Preparation, but Scorpion and Sub-Zero simply would not let that happen. Scorpion would teleport to the duo's location before Engineer can begin to start his construction and Sub-Zero would be using his ice slide to get to Pyro and Engineer. Even if Pyro uses his Air Manipulation to blow Scorpion back, which I argue that Pyro's Air Manipulation wouldn't work since Scorpion's Lifting Strength is stronger than what it's Air Manipulation is shown to push, Scorpion just teleports back into range. The second time around, Scorpion teleports behind Pyro and beats him up. Pyro would have to react to Scorpion teleporting behind him, turn around, and then fire his flamethrower in order for him to get Scorpion off of him, which isn't happening because Scorpion would attack immediately after teleporting. Pyro simply doesn't have the skill enough to hold back Scorpion. Scorpion's skill is equal to someone who has beaten up mercenaries that have fought ninjas and literal demons before (Jacqui Briggs & Cassie Cage)

Turrets aren't a huge win condition, because Sub-Zero can use his Ice Manipulation to freeze them and Scorpion can burn them (or just teleport into the turrets, dealing damage equal to his AP. The location of his teleportation can hurt things) I saw that Turrets can shred people comparable to Engineer and Pyro, but can turrets damage people 100 megajoules above them? If the turrets are actually a problem, then Sub-Zero would just do an area of effect Ice Manipulation blast to deal with them all, assuming that they are completely stationary. Scoprion and Sub-Zero, even with speed equalization, their reaction and combat speed would allow them to react to turrets (if it isn't a stretch of course), and by extension, any attack that Pyro and Engineer does.

The combat speed of that faster character is assumed to be equalized to the combat speed of the slower character. Every other speed the faster character has is reduced by the same multiplier. This includes the speed of any attacks, projectiles, reactions, perception, flight, etc.
It says "reduced" so they'll still have a higher reaction and combat speed than their...speed? Weird.

(Here's what I've written after seeing the Thread)

Scorpion and Sub-Zero are, well, ninjas. They both have Stealth Mastery. Since they know the direction of Pyro and Engineer, they'd just stealth and look at them from afar. Assuming that the Shopping Mall has long winding halls, they'd be able to comfortably stealth around the place. Double points if the shopping mall has a map. They would access their situation before deciding what to do. By this time, Engineer would have built multiple turrets, as per the addition of Koopa, so Sub-Zero would plan to freeze each turret one by one. Sub-Zero and Scorpion know what turrets and guns are, they've seen them before (I can provide sources if someone asks) Even when using Ice Ball, it can be seen in the gif that the people even getting shoot at doesn't know where it's coming from. Whether that's because they are stupid, because Ice Ball is that fast, or because Ice Ball is genuinely that stealthy, it can be interpretated as anything. From here, they'd target Engineer specifically since they would see him make the actual turrets themselves, and well...
Weaknesses: Not very adept in close combat compared to the other mercenaries.

Engineer gets beaten up. Personally, I don't think his Extraordinary Genius would help since it's limited to manufacturing and building things (with a few other stuff, of course. See Engineer's Intelligence section for more context), not battle intelligence.

I genuinely scrolled through Pyro's and Engineer's profile and nothing sticks out to me as something Sub-Zero and Scorpion would reasonably have a problem with. Their Invulnerability just gets dodged to or straight up negated by Sub-Zero's Ice Manipulation (Invulnerability is immunity to damage, not status effects), the random critical attacks (at least in my opinion) aren't going to turn the tide because Pyro swinging his axe in a weird way would just get blocked or dodged by both Sub-Zero and Scorpion, as well as having a really small chance to happen.

The base Critical hit chance for standard weapons is 2%. (TF2 Official Wiki)
Critical hits can be easily distinguished from normal hits. Most melee weapons have a unique swinging animation (TF2 Official Wiki)

I don't know how much more damage Critical Hits even do, as it says "Damage Boost" so I'll assume they're vaguely stronger than their AP margin by an unknown amount. If Scorpion and/or Sub-Zero get hit by this, they'll think "This guy just packed a bigger punch than before, we have to beat them quickly before they get more powerful" because they're experienced in people having sudden, crazy power-ups. They would automatically assume the worse (Because as per Standard Battle Assumptions, they think that Pyro and Engineer are Kronika's soldiers sent to kill them, or wish to cause extreme harm to their loved ones), and think that Kronika is about to buff the **** out of them.
Each character will view their opponents as enemies, who they have to assume wish to cause them severe harm such that losing could have any range of dire consequences.

Depending on how evil Pyro and Engineer present themselves to be, the duo may just straight up kill them in any amount of ways. I'll have to look further into what makes Sub-Zero and Scorpion want to kill someone rather than just knocking them out. Sub-Zero has no qualms about killing literal demons, but he mostly incapacitates as far as I've seen. Scorpion, on the other hand, is pretty unknown to me. Even though both of them have been in a tournament where losing equals death, they have been shown to knock out their opponents and Scorpion, even when he's on his vengeance conquest, refused to kill people. The Standard Battle Assumptions can get pretty volatile, and I don't want to assume Sub-Zero and Scorpion immediately thinks Pyro and Engineer are Quan Chi resurrectionists that wish to eliminate the entire Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu, which would just cause them to blitz and murder both Pyro and Engineer by ripping their heads off using Class K lifting strength, because that's just dubious. This doesn't hinder their fighting capabilities, because they'll largely be doing the same things even if they want to kill Pyro and Engineer, so yeah.

Voting Sub-Zero and Scorpion because they out-skill Pyro and Engineer, they are easily able to stop their main Win Condition (which is summoning a lot of turrets and shooting them down), and have a 100 megajoules AP difference that is going to hurt.

Bueno 👌

Since they start with no line of sight Engi has plenty of time to set up and fully build his sentries which even a level one can take down comparable peeps in a few shots.
How quantifiable is that? The duo is 121.21 megajoules over Pyro and Engineer, so...three shot for people comparable to them? I don't know. The turrets are wide out in the open, something Sub-Zero can easily freeze using Iceball, and if Engineer tries to pull the "Sitting out in the open" stuff, he's just going to get frozen by Sub-Zero as well. It also looks like they have to get within a certain, really small range, to actually be point at and shot at.

Cause of this Sub and Scorp are gonna have a hard time getting in close to harm the mercs in CQC.
Sub-Zero freezes the turrets before Scorpion teleports in to fight them.

Even though it may seem like the obvious answer, Pyro just burning the Ice away wouldn't help because Sub-Zero's ice can't be melted by 3000* fire (If you don't agree, it can at least be said that it is comparable to 3000° oxyhydro fuel)

Me eepy rn so I'll go through the big post later.
How quantifiable is that? The duo is 121.21 megajoules over Pyro and Engineer, so...three shot for people comparable to them? I don't know. The turrets are wide out in the open, something Sub-Zero can easily freeze using Iceball, and if Engineer tries to pull the "Sitting out in the open" stuff, he's just going to get frozen by Sub-Zero as well. It also looks like they have to get within a certain, really small range, to actually be point at and shot at.
Iirc Pyro and Engineer are 359.824 Megajoules so their not that much weaker. In meet the Engineer he put his Sentrys out in open to fend off all the on coming Blu's. In a more compact situation like this Engineer will likely put his Sentrys out of immediate site to take Sub and Scorp by surprise. They also have a sizeable range of 1100 hammer units so it shouldn't be to much of a problem since their in an enclosed location.
Sub-Zero freezes the turrets before Scorpion teleports in to fight them.

Even though it may seem like the obvious answer, Pyro just burning the Ice away wouldn't help because Sub-Zero's ice can't be melted by 3000* fire (If you don't agree, it can at least be said that it is comparable to 3000° oxyhydro fuel)
Engi can probably set up serval Sentries by the time they reach them and they can lock on to a target in less than a second. So unless Sub can freeze all Sentries at once he gonna get filled with lead and killed within a few seconds. Also, Engi can put a forcefield around his Sentries with the Wrangler to block Subs ice attacks.

Iirc Pyro and Engineer are 359.824 Megajoules so their not that much weaker. In meet the Engineer he put his Sentrys out in open to fend off all the on coming Blu's. In a more compact situation like this Engineer will likely put his Sentrys out of immediate site to take Sub and Scorp by surprise. They also have a sizeable range of 1100 hammer units so it shouldn't be to much of a problem since their in an enclosed location.
The value you used isn't accepted.
Agree: @DarkDragonMedeus, @Abstractions (prefers at most 9-A for Gravel War) @Eficiente (disagrees with using Panzer Pants taunt), @Lonkitt (Also disagrees with the Panzer Pants taunt)
The reason it isn't accepted is because the feat that caused the calculation is not canonical. Therefore, Pyro and Engineer are not 360 Megajoules.

Sub-Zero and Scorpion wouldn't go towards Pyro's and Engineer's location without knowing where the two are first. The only way I'd see them being surprised is if Engineer and Pyro stand out in the open while placing their turrets in a hidden location. Sub-Zero is comparable to Bi-Han, who is able to go through an entire trapped temple without dying once. Some of the traps are impossible to predict or had no indication that a trap was there (I can provide scans. Just ask me)

What is 1100 hammer units to feet meters? (AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAA 🦅 🦅 🦅 🦅 🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷 WHAT THE **** IS A KILOMETERRRRRRRRRR????!)

Engi can probably set up serval Sentries by the time they reach them and they can lock on to a target in less than a second. So unless Sub can freeze all Sentries at once he gonna get filled with lead and killed within a few seconds. Also, Engi can put a forcefield around his Sentries with the Wrangler to block Subs ice attacks.
Sub-Zero can freeze all the sentries at once.

Wrangler [which lets him control his Sentry and triples its durability with a shield and doubles its firing rate]
They're still getting frozen...? Can I see a video of what the Wrangler looks like in action? Will Engineer put the forcefield without being prompted to? (Meaning, will Engineer just put the Wrangler on the turrets while he is making them?)

What stops Pyro from just airblasting the Ice ball away?
Being caught off guard by Sub-Zero's Stealth Mastery. Otherwise, nothing is stopping Pyro from air-blasting it away, but Sub-Zero's main win condition is beating up the duo or freezing them so they can't fight (He can freeze them with his hands, no projectile required)

Last edited:
The value you used isn't accepted.

The reason it isn't accepted is because the feat that caused the calculation is not canonical. Therefore, Pyro and Engineer are not 360 Megajoules.
It's been accepted, it's even on the verse page, and profiles. The tally just wasn't updated in the thread.

Just wanted to clear up that misconception.

The Wrangler just basically surrounds the Sentry in a forcefield as soon as Engineer takes out the Wrangler.

Being caught off guard by Sub-Zero's Stealth Mastery. Otherwise, nothing is stopping Pyro from air-blasting it away, but Sub-Zero's main win condition is beating up the duo or freezing them so they can't fight (He can freeze them with his hands, no projectile required)
It's gonna be much harder to catch them off guard when Sentries make a distinct beeping sound whenever it detects an enemy.

Wait, question before I make any more arguments: Since they’re not starting in each other’s line of sights, would
each pair be around a corner or something?

Due to the nature of shopping malls, they can probably be in a hallway or maybe a few rooms apart, as they are 30 meters apart. They might also be a level above/below too since shopping malls don't usually come in just one floor.

Hmmm not voting yet since people still have arguments to make. Though I am leaning towards the ninjas a bit, the forcefield shtick might turn the tides for me.

Me a little busy so I'm not gonna break @Catbowtie post down in full but here's my mini break down of the rest.
  • There are two many Sentry's for Sub to freeze at once
  • Wrangler forcefield deals with Sub Freezing the Sentry's.
  • Them sneaking around isn't gonna help cause the Sentry's vision. They also make a sound then they spot someone which would alert Engi and Pyro to their location.
  • If they enter CQC Engi and Pyro can easily pull out their shotgun (or better yet the Panic Attack which has a faster swapping speed) and blast them. Given that the shotgun in TF2 can easily blow through comparable peeps and the small AP gap they're probably not gonna be able to take more then two shots. Also both Engi and Pyro have ways to make more distance (I;e Engi with the Eureka Effect's teleport or Pyro with their jet pack.
  • Critical Hit are its not on profile but 3x amps and considering that TF2 weapons can already one-shot comparable peeps in the meet the team vids, Sub and Scorp are pretty much dead if Engi and Pyro get them.

Last edited:
  • There are two many Sentry's for Sub to freeze at once
This is too vague. How many sentries is Engineer putting down? Sub-Zero will just send a freezing AOE attack that will freeze all of the sentries, and the range of the attack is big.
  • When attempting to freeze targets outside of his melee range, Sub-Zero can opt for his projectile attacks, such as his signature Ice Ball, a concentrated orb of ice that flies towards his target and freezes them solid in a layer of ice. He can also utilize a more accurate attack that shoots a beam to continuously freeze targets until they're trapped in a thicker layer of ice. Against a larger group of enemies, he can release a blast of cold wind at the cost of precision but more spread to cover multiple opponents.
Precision isn't a huge issue, because it would only matter if Sub-Zero is trying to target one single person. The purpose of the AOE is to get as much turrets as possible.

up to Hundreds of Meters with cryomancy.
Hundreds of Meters: 100 - 1,000 m

• Wrangler forcefield deals with Sub Freezing the Sentry's.
From what I've seen in the video, The Wrangler forcefield can only go on one turret, so all the other turrets are still getting frozen. It looks like Engineer himself will get caught in the ice blast because he has to stand near the turret to use it. Sub-Zero and Scorpion knows what guns are, and I'm sure the visualization if Engineer pointing something at them, then the turret turning to where Engineer is pointing, will be more than enough to tell them that they need to attack Engineer. Scorpion teleports to Engineer's location, behind Engineer. Does he have the reaction time to react to that? Before getting punched and grappled by Class K Lifting Strength? Especially when Scorpion's teleportation can be done at a moments notice

Them sneaking around isn't gonna help cause the Sentry's vision. They also make a sound then they spot someone which would alert Engi and Pyro to their location.
"When they spot someone," respectfully, that is literally what Stealth Mastery is for: Not getting spotted. Your word choices seem to imply that sentries are just a second pair of eyes, and don't actually have special abilities that would help them detect Sub-Zero and Scorpion. I don't really see anyone saying that turrets have a detection range or some type of sensor, so I'd appreciate it if someone can elaborate on this.

How is the turret alerting Pyro and Engineer Sub-Zero's and Scorpion's location? Do you mean that the turret will turn to the duo's location? Okay, sure. You proposed that Engineer would have The Wrangler up and ready, so they would just attack Engineer, because they both know that Engineer is the one who is controlling the turrets, and making them if they could guess off of his appearance.

At what point does Engineer just stop making turrets? Or just he just keep making turrets until he dies or something? Because if Scorpion and Sub-Zero see Engineer making turrets, they'll just attack them. How good is Engineer at dodging? Because Sub-Zero would fire an Ice Ball and freeze Engineer when he's out in the open making turrets or at any point in the fight. I do remember Koopa saying that Engineer would make his turrets out of immediate sight, but does that mean that Engineer would be out in the open? Or with his turrets? If he's with his turrets, then Sub-Zero and Scorpion would just...Try to find where Engineer and Pyro are? Koopa said "out of immediate sight," so it isn't as if they are hidden. Scorpion and Sub-Zero aren't stupid enough to walk right to Pyro's and Engineer's location without trying to figure out what they're up against.

If they enter CQC Engi and Pyro can easily pull out their shotgun (or better yet the Panic Attack which has a faster swapping speed) and blast them. Given that the shotgun in TF2 can easily blow through comparable peeps and the small AP gap they're probably not gonna be able to take more then two shots. Also both Engi and Pyro have ways to make more distance (I;e Engi with the Eureka Effect's teleport or Pyro with their jet pack.
Panic Attack deals 20% less damage.
Pictogram plus.png
+50% bullets per shot.
Pictogram plus.png
+50% faster weapon deploy time.
Pictogram plus.png
Fires a fixed shot pattern.
Pictogram minus.png
-20% damage penalty.
Pictogram minus.png
Successive shots become less accurate.

Pulling out guns during close-quarters-combat is just...bad. Sub-Zero and Scorpion are in punching distance to Pyro and Engineer and they choose to take out their guns instead of fighting back? Ignoring the part where the duo will react to them pulling out their guns and preventing it, Sub-Zero grabs Engineer's or Pyro's gun and freezes it (The scan is him shooting an ice ball at the gun, but Sub-Zero will use his freezing abilities when guns are involved) While Scorpion will aim dodge using his teleportation and attack and/or disarm either of them from behind.

(Sub-Zero)
  • Physical contact can be used to freeze his opponent even for a brief moment. Most of the time, he uses the touch of his palms to freeze his target, but he may also use his limbs to freeze them.

Separate but related comment, the idea of "one shotting people comparable to them with guns" has me feel a little bit skeptical, because wouldn't Pyro and Engineer just straight up have a higher AP value?

(This is redundant if you have seen Koopa's CRT on TF2. Skip to the next reply if you don't want to read this)

So, I did a little digging because of that.

The TF2 profiles are very confusing because they say "Optional Equipment," but some profiles just doesn't have Optional Equipment, but instead have a "With additional weapons" Key. For example:

(Scout's profile)
9-A, 8-C via Optional Equipment, higher with Power Ups

As y'all know, it's a 9-A tournament, so 8-C would be restricted. Scout's Optional Equipment is listed as

This is strange to me, because Engineer's Standard Equipment gives him literally everything that he has.
But also says,
At least 9-A, higher with Sentries, 8-C via Optional Equipment

Apparently, "Optional Equipment" is actually the "With additional weapons" key.
Building level via Optional Equipment (Can utilize the Pomson 6000, C.A.P.P.E.R, and the Short Circuit, which can vaporize robots)
That is in his "With additional weapons" Key.

Engineer has a roundabout way of getting 8-C weapons and his Optional Equipment.

And because I'm dumb I did all of this instead of looking at Koopa's CRT.

(This is yap, feel free to ignore this section)
Anyways, I feel the one shotting people comparable to your AP with your own AP is dubious, because you aren't actually comparable to their AP (Assuming that the person doesn't downscale immensely from their AP and their durability is equal to their AP. Under these circumstances, your AP is just straight up higher than their AP) The AP gap isn't within two to one shot territory, but because it's stated that "[Engineer's shotgun] can one shot comparable people," it actually can one to two shot people with comparable AP? Aren't they getting their values from one shotting people, rather than being able to one shot people comparable to them? I don't know man. I just feel like Pyro's and Engineer's values of 359.824 Megajoules should be the amount of AP they're dishing out and that's it. The "Being able to one shot people comparable to them" feels like it's cherry-picking information and misrepresenting it. I know, I know. The videos and explanations on their profiles proves it all, but like...I feel like that's a wrong interpretation? Or like...the one shot explanation gives us the "Small Building" tier (Meaning their AP is Small Building Level from the one shot) I'm really not trying to find problems because I'm mad or whatever, but like, that sits so wrong with me. Is that a No Limits Fallacy?
This is when someone states that because something has not demonstrated any limits (or only certain limits) then it has none (or only the ones demonstrated).
The only limit being "one shotting people comparable to them" so they just one to two shot Sub-Zero and Scorpion because they have comparable AP. Like...their AP is 359.824 Megajoules, how are they one to two shotting Sub-Zero and Scorpion?

Critical Hit are its not on profile but 3x amps and considering that TF2 weapons can already one-shot comparable peeps in the meet the team vids, Sub and Scorp are pretty much dead if Engi and Pyro get them.
Critical Hits have a 2% chance to hit, and they're very unlikely to hit if they do come up because Scorpion and Sub-Zero are out-skilling Pyro and Engineer. Like I said before, Pyro or Engineer swinging their weapons in a weird way will only get their attacks dodged, and their guns would just be destroyed by Scorpion and Sub-Zero, if they even can get their guns out.

(Engineer and Pyro)
Speed: Athletic Human movement with Subsonic to Subsonic+ reaction speed (Should be comparable to Sniper), Supersonic attack speed with Standard Equipment (Weapons and Sentries should be capable of firing at this speed)
Athletic Human movement (As a trained mercenary, the Pyro should be able to keep up with other athletically fit combatants, such as the Soldier and Heavy) with Subsonic to Subsonic+ reaction speed (Pyro can utilize compression blasts from their weapons to deflect projectiles such as arrows and rockets, requiring them to have the ability to react to do so), Supersonic attack speed with Standard Equipment (Can access weapons like the Shotgun)
(Sub-Zero and Scorpion)
Speed: Hypersonic+, likely Massively Hypersonic+ reactions and combat speed (Slipped past a missile's explosion and kept up with Scorpion)
Speed: Hypersonic+, likely Massively Hypersonic+ reactions and combat speed (Equal to Sub-Zero, whose Slide move can outpace an explosion. Can react to his past self's attacks and teleportation, who defeated Raiden)
(Speed Equalization rules)
  • The combat speed of that faster character is assumed to be equalized to the combat speed of the slower character. Every other speed the faster character has is reduced by the same multiplier. This includes the speed of any attacks, projectiles, reactions, perception, flight, etc.
    • Speed Amplification techniques are assumed to grant the same percentile of increase to a character's equalized speeds, as they would to their usual speeds.

While all combatants are moving at the same combat speed, Sub-Zero and Scorpion would have the advantage in reaction speeds because it's reduced, not equalized. This helps because Scorpion can reactively teleport and Sub-Zero can actually reactively teleport too. In Close-Quarters-Combat, it could be really easy for Sub-Zero to freeze Pyro or Engineer completely, rendering them incapacitated. He would go for Engineer first because of reasons stated before (Tl;dr, they would gain information on Engineer from either seeing him make the turrets or using The Wrangler to attack them with turrets) and freeze him. I don't think the amount of turrets would really matter, because Scorpion's teleportation blows them away. Even if they survive, they're just going to get tossed everywhere. Depending on how close Engineer is to his turrets, and how close Pyro is to Engineer and his turrets, they might get blown away and dazed.
Air Manipulation (Can summon a fire whirl upon teleporting),

While all combatants are moving at the same combat speed, Sub-Zero and Scorpion would have the advantage in reaction speeds because it's reduced, not equalized.
"reduced by the same multiplier"
The profiles list them as if both the combat speed and reaction speed are derived from the same feats. So unless I'm mistaken their reaction speeds would also be reduced to the exact same point as the TF2 mercs combat speed. So unless I'm wrong on that fact, the TF2 mercs would actually have that advantage due to having reaction speeds several times that of their normal base speed. If they are different however then the difference should probably be stated so that the Mercs and Ninja reaction difference can be compared

Edit: I was assuming the Mercs' combat speed is the Athletic Human level one and not the Supersonic one, because if that's the case then the Mercs would have slower reaction speed than what they are fighting on lol

Last edited:
The profiles list them as if both the combat speed and reaction speed are derived from the same feats. So unless I'm mistaken their reaction speeds would also be reduced to the exact same point as the TF2 mercs combat speed. So unless I'm wrong on that fact, the TF2 mercs would actually have that advantage due to having reaction speeds several times that of their normal base speed. If they are different however then the difference should probably be stated so that the Mercs and Ninja reaction difference can be compared
I think this is wrong. The speed equalization states that their combat speed is equalized, while their reaction is merely reduced. Reducing their reaction speed to the merc's combat speed would just make it a hard-fought battle at best and a Stomp at worst. We can ask someone in Questions and Answers though

I think this is wrong. The speed equalization states that their combat speed is equalized, while their reaction is merely reduced. Reducing their reaction speed to the merc's combat speed would just make it a hard-fought battle at best and a Stomp at worst. We can ask someone in Questions and Answers though
Yeah, when I noticed the sheer difference in speed types the Mercs had, I knew this was going to fall under some funky logic

The rules clearly state that the reaction speed is reduced by the same multiplier as the combat speed, problem is which speed do we use for characters that vary so greatly.

Equalize it to the gun speed, and the mercs are fighting characters they can't even see due to having far lower reactions. Equalize it to the average human speed and now the Mercs have the obvious ballpark advantage. Regardless on how this goes I doubt it's going to end in this fight being added to profiles lol

Hmmm...I read Speed Equalization as "Combat speed goes to the same Combat speed of the slower character." So Sub-Zero and Scorpion would go to Engineer's and Pyro's speed.
The combat speed of that faster character is assumed to be equalized to the combat speed of the slower character.
I feel like this is intentional word usage, instead of an arbitrary word they use to mean "reducing"

Every other speed the faster character has is reduced by the same multiplier. This includes the speed of any attacks, projectiles, reactions, perception, flight, etc.
In this sentence, they say "reduced." If whoever wrote it meant that the other speeds would get equalized, they would've just said "equalized" (or some synonym of it) again, but instead they say "reduced." If they wanted to say everything gets reduced to the same speed, then they would've just said something like "All of the speeds of that faster character is assumed to be equalized to all of the speeds of the slower character" or some equivalent. I don't think that this is a slip-up, because Speed Equalization is constantly used and referenced. I'm pretty sure someone would bring this up.

(LephyrTheRevanchist)
Speed is Equalized.
Speed Equal rules:
The combat speed of that faster character is assumed to be equalized to the combat speed of the slower character. Every other speed the faster character has is reduced by the same multiplier. This includes the speed of any attacks, projectiles, reactions, perception, flight, etc.
Speed Amplification techniques are assumed to grant the same percentile of increase to a character's equalized speeds, as they would to their usual speeds.

So Spawn retains the advantage on reactions and the speed of his teleportation.
It seems to be if someone has a reaction advantage over a person, they can still hold it even despite the Speed Equalization. I'm not trying to commit some type of logical fallacy here, so correct me if I made an error. Also, I saw somewhere else where a person can actually calculate the multiplier the other speeds get reduced by. Take that with a grain of salt as a personal anecdote.

Equalize it to the gun speed, and the mercs are fighting characters they can't even see due to having far lower reactions. Equalize it to the average human speed and now the Mercs have the obvious ballpark advantage. Regardless on how this goes I doubt it's going to end in this fight being added to profiles lol
Under your premise, I think this is pretty wonky too.

Hmmm...I read Speed Equalization as "Combat speed goes to the same Combat speed of the slower character." So Sub-Zero and Scorpion would go to Engineer's and Pyro's speed.
I'm not arguing that, it's just which one of the speeds do they go to, since Engi/Pyro have 3 different speed types, each with drastically different results.

In this sentence, they say "reduced." If whoever wrote it meant that the other speeds would get equalized, they would've just said "equalized" (or some synonym of it) again, but instead they say "reduced." If they wanted to say everything gets reduced to the same speed, then they would've just said something like "All of the speeds of that faster character is assumed to be equalized to all of the speeds of the slower character" or some equivalent. I don't think that this is a slip-up, because Speed Equalization is constantly used and referenced. I'm pretty sure someone would bring this up.
It's not a slip up, since various characters have drastically different stats between different speeds EX The Mercs, however the wording 'reduced by the same multiplier' means that everything about the character is reduced by a same rate.

For example Gon from HxH has Hypersonic speed with Hypersonic+ reactions in one of his keys, if he was equalized down his reaction speed would still be noticeably higher based on whatever multiplicate amount it is now. However his weaker version with Subsonic speed would have both his reaction and combat reduced to the exact same level since there isn't a difference between them to begin with

It seems to be if someone has a reaction advantage over a person, they can still hold it even despite the Speed Equalization. I'm not trying to commit some type of logical fallacy here, so correct me if I made an error. Also, I saw somewhere else where a person can actually calculate the multiplier the other speeds get reduced by. Take that with a grain of salt as a personal anecdote.
That's because Spawn has a noticeable gap between his actual speed and his reaction speed from what I'm seeing, with his second key having Supersonic travel, Speed of Light teleportation, and FTL reactions with no mention of his combat speed. However I'm not familiar with the character so I can't say much since so for all I know I might be wrong on that.

Last edited:
Gonna reply to new stuff in a bit when I can lock in on making a response. I should have responded earlier when I had time but I forgor.

it's just which one of the speeds do they go to
Uhhhh
Athletic Human movement (As a trained mercenary, the Pyro should be able to keep up with other athletically fit combatants, such as the Soldier and Heavy) with Subsonic to Subsonic+ reaction speed (Pyro can utilize compression blasts from their weapons to deflect projectiles such as arrows and rockets, requiring them to have the ability to react to do so), Supersonic attack speed with Standard Equipment (Can access weapons like the Shotgun)
Athletic Human movement with Subsonic to Subsonic+ reaction speed (Should be comparable to Sniper), Supersonic attack speed with Standard Equipment (Weapons and Sentries should be capable of firing at this speed)
There's no combat speed. Huh? I think we use the Athletic Human movement for their combat speed?

It's not a slip up, since various characters have drastically different stats between different speeds EX The Mercs, however the wording 'reduced by the same multiplier' means that everything about the character is reduced by a same rate.

For example Gon from HxH has Hypersonic speed with Hypersonic+ reactions in one of his keys, if he was equalized down his reaction speed would still be noticeably higher based on whatever multiplicate amount it is now. However his weaker version with Subsonic speed would have both his reaction and combat reduced to the exact same level since there isn't a difference between them to begin with
Right. Gon doesn't have a differentiator between his Subsonic combat speed and his reaction speed, so they both are technically equalized. Sub-Zero's and Scorprion's "likely" Massively Hypersonic+ are being used here (At least I would say)

We can leave it up to the Thread Starter to give Sub-Zero and Scorpion the combat speed and reactions if the judgement on using likely Massively Hypersonic+ is inconclusive. It's whatever everyone else wants to do.

That's because Spawn has a noticeable gap between his actual speed and his reaction speed from what I'm seeing, with his second key having Supersonic travel, Speed of Light teleportation, and FTL reactions with no mention of his combat speed. However I'm not familiar with the character so I can't say much since so for all I know I might be wrong on that.
I don't know either.

(This portion is going with the assumption that Sub-Zero and Scorpion get equalized to Athletic Human)

So, if the Thread Starter doesn't decide to use Scorpion's and Sub-Zero's Massively Hypersonic+ Combat and Reaction speed, then they'll be moved down to Athletic Human overall.

If he does, then their Combat Speed will still get equalized to Athletic Human but their Reaction Speed will be way higher than their Combat Speed.

Sub-Zero's and Scorprion's "likely" Massively Hypersonic+ are being used here (At least I would say)

We can leave it up to the Thread Starter to give Sub-Zero and Scorpion the combat speed and reactions if the judgement on using likely Massively Hypersonic+ is inconclusive. It's whatever everyone else wants to do.

So, if the Thread Starter doesn't decide to use Scorpion's and Sub-Zero's Massively Hypersonic+ Combat and Reaction speed, then they'll be moved down to Athletic Human overall.

If he does, then their Combat Speed will still get equalized to Athletic Human but their Reaction Speed will be way higher than their Combat Speed.
I don't see how the version of Scoprion/Sub-Zero's speeds would have an effect here, since it would either be the 'likely' Massively Hypersonic+ reactions and combat speed or instead Hypersonic+ reaction and combat speed. Unless they have feats that put them on separate levels on the respective tiers, they'd be equalized to the same amount due to a lack of differentiator since both reaction and combat are classified as the same thing for them

I'm honestly unsure of what to do with this, but I'm leaning towards not using the 'likely' speed so as to have this battle be a bit fairer. Dunno if this will affect whether this match can be added to the profiles or not, though.

You know what? We're going with full equalization. We're not going to use the 'likely' speed then.
EDIT: Retracting this statement for now, please ignore it for the moment.

Last edited:
I'm honestly unsure of what to do with this, but I'm leaning towards not using the 'likely' speed so as to have this battle be a bit fairer. Dunno if this will affect whether this match can be added to the profiles or not, though.
From my point of view, there are a few possibilities

Option 1: Ninjas are equalized to Athletic Human and are outdone by the reaction speed and weapon speed of the Mercs, and would 100% need to rely on abilities in order to make up for that massive gap

Option 2: Ninjas are equalized to the Supersonic weapon speed and completely outclass the Mercs in that category, forcing the Mercs to use the tech and skills to the fullest abilities

Option 3: Screw the rules, give the Ninjas an equalized speed to the Mercs reaction speed. It gives the most fair results and in any other circumstance I'm pretty sure characters would likely just have that listed as combat speed for similar reasons anyway

Option 1: Ninjas are equalized to Athletic Human and are outdone by the reaction speed and weapon speed of the Mercs, and would 100% need to rely on abilities in order to make up for that massive gap
Option 2: Ninjas are equalized to the Supersonic weapon speed and completely outclass the Mercs in that category, forcing the Mercs to use the tech and skills to the fullest abilities
Both of these options would mean that one side has to lock in, which would make for a pretty good debate.
Option 3: Screw the rules, give the Ninjas an equalized speed to the Mercs reaction speed. It gives the most fair results and in any other circumstance I'm pretty sure characters would likely just have that listed as combat speed for similar reasons anyway
This one is definitely the most fair option, but this match might not be added to the profiles.

Both of these options would mean that one side has to lock in, which would make for a pretty good debate.

This one is definitely the most fair option, but this match might not be added to the profiles.
Honestly from the first two I see them as absolute washes for different reasons, Supersonic speed Ninjas are going to speedblitz and Athletic Human Ninjas are liable from getting weapon and reaction blitzed. While I can see arguments for both sides being possible, the speed itself poses a massive problem. I'd recommend getting a moderator since this is a very unorthodox scenario and this probably should set some standard for characters like the Mercs who just have drastically different stats with little to no possible way of fairly equalizing their speed with rules as written

I don't see how the version of Scoprion/Sub-Zero's speeds would have an effect here, since it would either be the 'likely' Massively Hypersonic+ reactions and combat speed or instead Hypersonic+ reaction and combat speed. Unless they have feats that put them on separate levels on the respective tiers, they'd be equalized to the same amount due to a lack of differentiator since both reaction and combat are classified as the same thing for them
Basically:

If we're just using their Hypersonic+ Reactions and Combat speed, then that would be equalized

But if we're using their Massively Hypersonic+ Reactions and Combat speed, their Comat Speed gets equalized but their reactions get reduced.

Did I answer your problem?

Reaction Speed is the speed a character can react to an attack they don't know is going to happen or at a very close range, while combat speed is just the speed that they can fight in.

I've asked for some mods over at a management thread so hopefully they'll come.

Reaction Speed is the speed a character can react to an attack they don't know is going to happen or at a very close range, while combat speed is just the speed that they can fight in.

I've asked for some mods over at a management thread so hopefully they'll come.
No, I know what the difference between reaction speed and combat speed is lol

I'm asking what the actual speed difference is for the Ninjas massively hypersonic+ combat speed and their massivly reaction speed since if they are the same value, they'd be equalized to the same amount

I'm asking what the actual speed difference is for the Ninjas massively hypersonic+ combat speed and their massivly reaction speed since if they are the same value, they'd be equalized to the same amount
I don't think so? Let me make sure I'm on the same page as you. You're saying that their "likely Massively Hypersonic+" reactions and combat speed would get equalized because they are the same value? Not sure on the answer to that.

I don't think so? Let me make sure I'm on the same page as you. You're saying that their "likely Massively Hypersonic+" reactions and combat speed would get equalized because they are the same value? Not sure on the answer to that.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying, since it'd be "reduced by the same amount".

Back