• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently we've received a lot of complaints about poor thread closure reasoning that has been ignored because it is not currently a official rule. Thus, I believe it would be best to add a rule about it. For example:

"Please do not close or remove threads without adequate reasoning, such as personal distress caused by a thread or the like. It would be best to have both the OP or multiple staff agree to its closure."

Perhaps, but this isn't solely a staff issue. Normal users can remove threads. Perhaps it would be best to add one specifically addressing removal on the wiki rules.

Yeah, that's another issue in and out of itself. A lot of times when vs threads are completed, the creators of the thread accidentally press the delete button without realizing that only mods can close threads. This was greatly needed.

No, normal users can only remove threads they made. They can't remove threads made by others, only discussion moderators and admins can. So take that small percentage and make it even smaller as it doesn't even apply to all staff, just Discussion mods and admins.

It would still apply to all parties actually, as all members can remove their own threads, which would still require regulation. Let's not try and target staff members by making this a staff-only issue.

I fully support the implemantation of this rule. The fact that we need a rule to prevent that in the first place instead of it being common sense is mind boggling to say at least.

Not a rule, but an addition to the Staff Advice page.

I'm not saying this shouldn't be a punishable offense, it should be if done in excess, but it's not a rule. Rules apply to everyone on site.

"Do not tell people to kill themselves" is a rule, it applies to everyone. Staff and Non-Staff.

"Do not close threads without proper reasoning" does not apply to everyone since most people can't do that anyway.

But thread removal does apply to the entirety of the wiki, even if closure does not. Hence why a rule is necessary for one and not the other.

Sera EX said:
I prefer an addition to Advice to the staff of the VS Battles wiki about giving proper reasons for closing revision threads rather than a rule that only affects a small percentage of the wiki, that being the staff.
Rules are meant to apply to everyone.
Bit of a nitpick, but the OP of threads, which can be regular users, can actually close or remove them, and I've actually had experience with threads where the OP suddenly closed or removed the thread because they didn't like the outcome.

No it doesn't. You can close this thread Yobo because you made it, you can't go on some random vs thread and close it.

This is something that belongs on a staff page, and might even be something the Human Resources group might need to handle. It doesn't even qualify as a Discussion Rule.

I mean, we seem to have several staff support for this new rule, maybe we should get a Beauracrat in here to see what they think.

@Dargoo

There has only been one instance of that. Someone was closing/removing his vs threads "when they weren't going his way". I remembered him actually getting reprimanded for it.

This is the result of...well...check the RV and you'll know. So again, if it's more so about staff closing threads than just threads being closed in general, then it belongs on the staff page.

This is a issue that extends beyond a single case, and should be treated as that. This is not intended to be targeted towards staff for that very reason.

Even if there has only been one instance of something, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a law against it.

Btw, I moved the thread to Wiki Management because that's where it belongs. Also, you should preferably get the bureaucrats on this thread. It's not passing without their consent.

Sera EX said:
This is the result of...well...check the RV and you'll know. So again, if it's more so about staff closing threads than just threads being closed in general, then it belongs on the staff page.
I was sort of just nitpicking the argument that we can't have the rule because it doesn't apply to all users.

I can agree that the actual reasoning behind this is more attached to staff, and staff-specfic rules shouldn't be on the regular site rules, but at the same time I don't have any objections towards greater accountability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back