• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

There's something that has been bothering me for awhile

KGiffoni

VS Battles
Retired
About speed equalization in vs matches. Let's put it like this: one character is Relativistic and the other is, let's say, Superhuman.

The thing is, about speed equalization. I think it should be specified to what speed we are equalizing the characters to. About the previous instance, let's say the Relativistic character gets super amped after going very close to the sun, and can fly. It's a wincon for him to get this amp if he's able to fly to the Sun in a certain speed that allows him to do so shortly. However, if it took days for him to get to the Sun, he wouldn't do that, possibly removing one of his wincons.

That's just a example, but similar stuff happens in many VS Battles and it always bugged me.

The God Of Procrastination said:
Yes. That, or just get rid of this problematic gimmick altogether.
Second option would make Vs Matches almost impossible. It's hard to find characters that don't blitz each other and don't AP stomp each other simultaneously.

Personally I think we should just get rid of Speed Equalization and replace it with Stat Equalization instead. At that point its simply a contest of abilities.

SuperAPM said:
Personally I think we should just get rid of Speed Equalization and replace it with Stat Equalization instead. At that point its simply a contest of abilities.
Well, i personally agree with this.

Actually yes. I've seen this issue in a lot of fights. Is always bugged me. I think specifying which level of speed it is equalized to would be a good idea.

No, it's not about different types of speed. That's not what i'm talking about.

Complete stat equalization isn't happening. I always thought some sort of relative speed equalization, which puts the two characters at similar speeds, with the faster still being a bit faster, would be a good idea.

We're not removing Speed Equalization though. Ruins most matches.

I'm not asking for removal of speed equalization, neither am i asking for stat equalization. I just tought this issue needs to be adressed.

I would be down for Relative speed equal. I think it could be like

If they are only a bit faster (say 1.1 to 1.4 times faster) it should be left alone.

And then from .1.5 to above times faster. It could be rounded down to 1.5 to 2 times faster as a base for Relatively equal.

I kinda think that an scenario like that is rather specific. However, I can see the overall point.

I'm more concern about, however, Speed Equalized matches that involve the slower character winning through speed enhancements that aren't above the speed of the faster character. Like, a slower character defeating a faster one due being faster it's rather ridiculous.

I don't really have an opinion about this beyond what Promestein stated.

I thought the general consensus was that all speeds would be equalized to the faster character's speed.

Monkey Dunno said:
I kinda think that an scenario like that is rather specific. However, I can see the overall point.

I'm more concern about, however, Speed Equalized matches that involve the slower character winning through speed enhancements that aren't above the speed of the faster character. Like, a slower character defeating a faster one due being faster it's rather ridiculous.
We have something for your point, though it may need to be stricter.

If a character has equipment that must be launched, and speed is equalized, is said equipment affected by the equalization?

BigSmoke4269 said:
If a character has equipment that must be launched, and speed is equalized, is said equipment affected by the equalization?
I think so.

GojiBoyForever said:
I disagree with this for Promestein's reason.
He's not really disagreeing with the OP, only saying Stat Equalizaiton or removal of Speed Equalization ain't happening.

Really? I have rarely seen nothing of it.

• During a match where speed is equalized, speed amplification techniques are allowed, unless they lead to a victory via Speed Blitz in favor of the slower character.

Sir Ovens said:
I thought the general consensus was that all speeds would be equalized to the faster character's speed.
This. I don't even agree with allowing speed amps in speed equal matches as it completely removes the point of having equalized speeds in the first place.

We already have a rule in place that a speed amp can't be the only reason for a victory for a slower opponent. Also if someone speed amps and gets a disadvantage in another stat because of that and then they try to blitz but it doesn't work even tho it should work in their minds, you get a lot of weird stuff, so it's best to just allow amps but not let them be the sole reason for winning for the slower character (heck I'm fine if this is applied to the fastest character as well).

Sir Ovens said:
Where is this written exactly?

Back