• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The situation on Youtube and our moves to stop this

Hello there fellow members of VSBW fandom! Veloxt1r0kore here to inform you an something important and we really nees your help, i know this is not fandom related but it still important to what? To rhe internet itself

So as we know, Youtube announced a new rules/law called COPPA (in case you don't know you can search it) and this would impacting the majority of youtubers in really bad way and lead all of this to an doom/disaster. The rules is: You need to be 13+ or higher to use yt (this one are not the issue btw), and then for content creators, you should labelled your channel/video being for kids or not for kids, and this is where the main issues comes

Why? Because first, if you made your content kids friendly, it would disable all of your tools like community tab, ability to comment, and clicking the bell, and more bad side of it. "But isn't that bad?" No my brother, because it aiming to like video games, arts, animations, toys, and so on. That mean every pop culture would be limited very hard

"But you can at least lying and change it to not for kids, not that hard" Yeah not that hard when youtube found it and finding an kids content traits on it, you will get fined for at least $ 42,000!!! And its for one video, calculate every videos that get fined, this can lead to the bad situation like massive stress, depression, to even out of control act

I mostly didn't have any issue with this, "then why you made this?" Because i want to help, helping the others and unite to prevent or even stop this! This i for our sake of freedom of creativity and happiness to world!!

Thankfully we have so many paths to stop this, example is we have a petition to stop these rule/law, and even FTC opening themselves for many question/complaints, i will give the link bellow

Remember we are social creatures, helping each others would solve this together, so lend your hand and join us to stop these unfair moves, spread this to other wikias to even other plaxes on internet, unite and together we can!

https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=FTC-2019-0054-0001

For the FTC section

https://www.change.org/p/youtubers-and-viewers-unite-against-ftc-regulatio

The petition

Sorry for the sudden and my apologies if my word are hard to understand, this is Veloxt1r0kore....Veloxt out ;)

I can place a link in the highlights thread.

Veloxt1r0kore said:
"But you can at least lying and change it to not for kids, not that hard" Yeah not that hard when youtube found it and finding an kids content traits on it, you will get fined for at least $ 42,000!!! And its for one video, calculate every videos that get fined, this can lead to the bad situation like massive stress, depression, to even out of control act
So, let me get this straight - if you make content that you want to personally not have kids watching, but YouTube independently determines that it's okay for kids (or has 'kids content traits', whatever those are), they fine you for what, fraud? And a fine worth more than the average YT user with > 1mil subscribers yearly income?

Like, what, they want you to cuss in every other video to show that you're "too mature for kids" when you don't label your content as kid-friendly?

What kind of crack is Google/YT smoking right now, and where can I get some of it?

Internet Historian says it won't have the quite frankly ludicrous effects people are saying it will have (e.g. If you play a hentai game on youtube it'll be considered for-kids since it's a video game and you'll get fined $40,000 by the FCC).

Some people disagree but that just seems like drumming up outrage for clicks, so I'm not super worried about the fines affecting random innocent people.

JUST imagine channels such as Nux Taku and his videos were to be tagged as For Kids cus there is animated content...

I heard about these regulations, and while there are some good motives behind this; such as getting rid of all the Elsagate crap. The guidelines are executing this very poorly. Honestly, it really should be the other way around. It should be that that videos that are stated to be kid friendly but are obviously lying about it are the ones getting fined. If gamers with a cursing habit just want to do things peacefully without getting kids involved, they should just continue what they're doing without getting dragged into these messes. But if they have to cuss in every video to stay monetized, now that's actually weird and the exact opposite of a guideline.

If I were a Youtuber, I obviously would want teens and adults as my main audience because I'm a hardcore gamer. And while cursing is generally something I try to avoid and I don't actually want to curse in every single video. But I may have a cursing habit which I don't want younger audiences repeating. Youtubers shouldn't be punished just because kids watched their videos, it should be the parents who should be responsible instead of letting some strangers online do the parenting for them. It's really unfair for people like SML among other channels to get sued where as some actual violators are just simply losing their adds while keeping their content public on YouTube kids based on the way that is currently being executed.

So yeah, this is really a huge problem. Also, the "Anti-Middle ground" policy is so BS. So we're allowed to either have everything on our channel be for little kids and/or everything includes mature content but no in between? I channel recommended for audiences 13 and up regardless of whether their content is PG or not shouldn't be fined. It's the Mature content on a kids channel that should be fined.

Yes, there should at least be more than two options.

Is it possible to choose different settings for different videos in the same channel?

I had this idea, that instead of tagging the videos based on the content, they do it based on the audiences.

If the majority of audiences (Subcribers to just avarage viewers) are 14 and/or older, they can be tagged as NFK (Not For Kids).

The problem I see is that several of those kids actually don't have their own profile actually, they use instead of the parents, which could provoke absurds issues.

With the amount of stupid decisions YouTube has been taking it's pretty clear that they're trying to inmolate.

To help a bit with this, there's a model used to fill the letter's blank space:

" To the FTC,

I am a regular YouTube user and have been for XX years. I am also an adult enthusiast of "pop culture", and that includes TOYS, CARTOONS, VIDEO GAMES AND COMIC BOOKS and ANIMATION IN GENERAL.

Your recent announcement is very troubling to me. This decision does not display accurate knowledge of this landscape and could result in the disenfranchisement of a large number of U.S. citizens and even people outside U.S (both content creators and viewers).

Many YouTube channels about pop culture are for the benefit of ADULTS and DO NOT TARGET CHILDREN with their content or commentary. While they may not be inappropriate for children to view, they do not cater to children and do not speak to children's interests in their videos.

A few of these channels include XXX, XXX, XXX, and many more. These are just examples.

Using "toys" or "comics" or "characters and themes" as benchmarks to identify kid-targeted content demonstrates great misunderstanding of modern culture and a massive overreach in society. This isn't 1989. It's 2019. Toys, comics, cartoons and games are catering more and more to adults rather than children in many genres.

The measure of "characters and themes" is also potentially damaging to the YouTube platform. For example, a YouTuber might be making a video about vintage Spider-Man comics that dealt with adult topica, but your benchmark wrongfully pegs it as kid's entertainment because it's Spider-Man.

Or, a YouTuber might be devoted to Star Wars news, a topic of interest to adult movie fans. However, if "Star Wars" is defined by the FTC as for kids only, it takes a VERY BROAD TOPIC and artificially narrows it to a tiny wedge that does not reflect the many actual audiences of Star Wars, destroying many channels devoted to Star Wars. The FTC should allow parents to decide whether their kids will use YouTube Kids or YouTube's main platform; not puish independent creators.

The FTC should not expand the scope of COPPA to child-attractive content as it pertains to content creators.

The FTC should put out an enforcement statement on how it intends to enforce COPPA against individual content creators.

The FTC should provide clarity on the rules defining what constitutes "directed to children," as the definition is extremely vague in the creator context.

Roll back elements of the 2013 amendment as they pertain to content creators to preserve their ability to continue producing free, ad-supported content for the families who choose to consume our content on YouTube's main site.

Shutting off personalized ads on creators' content will cause more harm than good, especially for children. Quality family-friendly content will shrink, while more mature content will grow — yet kids will still be watching.

The FTC should not expand COPPA regulations for content creators. Broadening the definition of "child-directed" to include "child-attractive" would force many more creators to turn off personalized ads. As a result, even more quality content will dry up, and more mature and extreme content will fill the platform.

The free YouTube Kids app is a better solution than regulation targeting family-friendly creators. YouTube Kids removes privacy concerns around personalized ads. Parents buy devices and allow their children to watch YouTube Main. Many parents prefer to use YouTube Main because it has more features and less barriers.

Creators should not be punished when parents choose not to use YouTube Kids. COPPA is about putting parents in control of protecting their children's personal information online. The FTC should not use COPPA to remove parents from the process in regulating content and online advertising.

While large corporations will survive these changes, small business creators face terminating employees, changing their business model, or shutting down production altogether. These regulations will particularly hurt young underserved audiences who participate in YouTube communities on topics like special needs, faith, and minority groups.

Limiting quality free content for kids expands the digital divide. Turning off personalized ads on kids' content also encourages increased product placement and brand deals within kids' content. Creators face COPPA fines up to $42,530 per video, yet the regulation and definition of "child-directed" is vague. The FTC needs to provide creators with enforcement clarity. After these channels you've targeted are gone, CHILDREN WILL STILL BE ON YouTube Main. What is the next step? Children like furry animals. They like dinosaurs. They watch hours and hours of cat and dinosaur videos on YouTube. But guess what ― ADULTS LIKE THOSE THINGS TOO. Will the FTC begin a witch hunt to purge all cat and dinosaur videos from YouTube as well? Thank you for reading this message. "

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Just a heads up, I have written a letter to YouTube. And there are millions of people joining in the fight. I'm not sure if that's going to be enough, but no reason to give up unless we try.
Indeed, I just joined yesterday to start uploading videos of things that I enjoy and want to raise money for charity and environmental organizations!

So, after ruining animes with shitty Netflix adaptations, ruining Italian cuisine by putting pasta in the water before it boils, America is now ruining itself.

Congratulations America, you can destroy everything you touch now. And you're trying to bring down the rest of the world with you.

Just to know, how would other countries affected by this?

People like Mr Enter and a few others however think that the whole thing is not something to cause too much panic (Or at least not try to cause panic in people.) About with COPPA actually being a good thing and that the rules won't be as over the top as people think either way I really worry the vagueness is right there.

Enter however did say that at the very least COPPA needs MASSIVE REVISIONS he too is not happy of how such rulings are handled and then some, AND YES I'm afraid our worse fears has been realized it's not just YouTube the execution from this plan of theirs will probably make some kind of big CRASH of the internet is what I'm getting at though maybe I'm just exaggerating, I will be making my move one day though sooner then later sorry I have to organize my thoughts...

I was going to use YouTube for a channel idea and test out my as of now novice drawing skills to then convert into a full on creative idea but with this such an attempt would be a futility... Say whatever it is about it but this is indeed so unbalanced and not well placed and we have to point it out.

I would love to know the big "why" as to the reasoning behind all of this. I doubt that the heads of YouTube are stupid or don't realize the backlash and repercussions of this. Personally I think that YouTube might be trying to stop monetization of YouTubers and to gain favor of advertisers by doing this.

Nico-v11 said:
I would love to know the big "why" as to the reasoning behind all of this. I doubt that the heads of YouTube are stupid or don't realize the backlash and repercussions of this. Personally I think that YouTube might be trying to stop monetization of YouTubers and to gain favor of advertisers by doing this.
Yep *(Sighs.)*, it's all come to this... Very dark days for many.

Dargoo Faust said:
What kind of crack is Google/YT smoking right now, and where can I get some of it?
Good question... What are you going to use it for against someone because that's a drug I don't even want to indulge into and end up that deluded. (Of course I don't do drugs.)

Regarding the topic; it's stupid, yeah, they're overreaching so much in an attempt to appease the FTC however I think some people claiming a crash of the internet or massive fines to be making exaggerations and hyperbole.

It also seems they even pay attention to words, like "yea". "Yea" is for kids! If you say it, it's "for kids" content, fined 42k if found it's not....>_>.

Also includes some colors from what I heard. Apparently adults only like black or white colors.........

They also are preparing bots it seems, that will regularly check all 37 million(?)+ channels there is.

Already signed the petition yestersay (or was it the day before?), and I hope and expect Youtube to react to this. After all, if YT has lots of money to lose.....cough.

OpMasada said:
Regarding the topic; it's stupid, yeah, they're overreaching so much in an attempt to appease the FTC however I think some people claiming a crash of the internet or massive fines to be making exaggerations and hyperbole.
Thank God it was an exaggeration, nevertheless this is one change that could still do some degree of problems so I wouldn't let your guard down anyways that's we are here discussing it, spreading the word.

So pardon if anything came out as callous and stuff.

I've signed the petition. It's not much, but I think we should all do that at least to show our support.

Back