• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Problem with Destruction Values We Use (Staff only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugarik

VS Battles
Calculation Group
The problem

If an object is destroyed as a result of some attack we calculate the energy output of the attack using the original volume of the object and the destruction value of the material the destroyed object is made of. According to Naruto Forums (and that's the only source we have), the fragmentation value is equal to the shear strength of the material, violent fragmentation is equal to the tensile strength and pulverization is the compressive strength. But we never questioned the credibility of the source.

Fragmentation is defined as "the energy needed to make something fall apart in large fragment" while the definition of shear strength is "the strength of a material or component against the type of structural failure when the material or component fails in shear" As you can see those definitions do not line up quite well and the same reasoning can be applied to violent fragmentation and pulverization values as well. So there reasonably comes the question: "does this whole thing even make some sense?"

What should we do instead
The energy needed to destroy a particular object is indeed proportional to the original volume of the destroyed object however shear, tensile and compressive strength do not determine the amount of energy per unit volume. But there is a material property that does.

Toughness - is the amount of energy per unit volume that a material can absorb before rupturing.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any toughness table for common materials. So how can it be calculated? Toughness can be determined by integrating the stress-strain curve by the following formula:

CodeCogsEqn

Where sigma is the stress and epsilo is the strain. f indicates the point of rupture.
Unfortunately, most materials have random stress-strain relation so it's really hard to find a function one can integrate. Hopefully, we can still measure it by measuring the area under the material's stress-strain curve using paint.net. You can also do the same thing with the load-displacement curve and then devide the result by the original volume of the specimen

(for those who found this page I can tell you that it's basically the same formula. Young's modulus is inversely proportional to toughness and there is 1/2 because the area under the elastic region has a shape of a right triangle via Hook's law)

Finding toughness for some common materials
So now we need to find some of those values...

Concrete

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtvm7YNsSU0
Concrete
Area under the curve: 18134 px20 MPa - 77 px
0.05% - 56 px

Toughness: 18134*(20/77)*(0.05/100/56) = 0.042 J/cm^3

Stone

Sandstone limestone
Limestone:
area under the curve: 166400 px

1000 psi - 6.895 MPa - 77 px

0.0005 (unitless) - 129 px

Limestone's toughness: 166400*(6.895/77)*(0.0005/129) = 0.058 J/cm^3

Sandstone:

area under the curve: 71070 px

2000 psi - 13.79 MPa - 79 px

0.002 (unitless) - 112 px

Sandstone's toughness: 71070*(13.79/79)*(0.002/112) = 0.22 J/cm^3

Wood

Wood

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqAFSKlALwkThe area under the curve: 16260 px
100 kN - 69 px

10 mm - 94 px

Work of deformation: 16260*(100/69)*(10/94) = 2507 J

The specimen is 25x10x15 cm wooden block so its volume is 3750 cm^3

Toughness: 2507/3750 = 0.67 J/cm^3

Soil

Source: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzizh7dB9A
There were 3 samples

Soil
Soil2
Soil3

1. Area 81492 px
0.05 MPa - 67 px

1% - 84 px

Toughness: 81492*(0.05/67)*(0.01/84) = 0.0072 J/cm^3

Using the same method sample 1 and sample 2 got 0.016 J/cm^3 and 0.011 J/cm^3 respectivily so I don't know which one should we pick

More Informatio
There are a couple of things people need to understand.

1. Toughness determines the minimal amount of energy required to rapture the material. There is no way we can find v.frag or pulv values using it. The best thing a can suggest is to set v.frag 10 times above the toughness and pulverization 10 times above v.frag. If anyone has a better idea I'm willing to hear it

2. This method is still not perfectly accurate. Idealistically the material needs to be completely solid and the impact needs to be perfectly flat and perpendicular to the surface of the destroyed object. But I guess we can ignore it because I believe it's the best we can do.

3. Pulverization value base on compressive strength can still be used for feats like this one because in order to make a hole like this one needs to compress the concrete inside the wall. The mechanical work of pressing this hole inside should be equal to the compressive strength times the volume.

Well, you proved the current method we use to calc the destructions value isn't accurate at all, but your method relies on assumptions as well, as you pointed in the 3 points of the last part.

Waiting for more imput to see if people have a better ideia, as you said in the first point. I might help with suggestions soon

Shall hear from more people about this.

Oh no, the mods, admins and bcrats must be highlighted about this.

Actually, this is up to DontTalkDT and the calc group to decide. Somebody should ask all of them to comment here: VS Battles Staff

I agree with Antvasima. I will notify them of this thread.

And I believe this should be Staff-Only and a Calc-Group member-only thread. Or maybe just Calc Group only thread.

To be honest, I knew the method we used was inaccurate and could be improved, but I thought it was something that was already understood and used simply because it was the best we could do under our natural conditions.

But with the recent changes being made in most of our calculations methods, I realize that I was just being innocent about it lol . It seems like a good idea to us if we can improve it even further.

I added "Staff only" at the top of this thread.

This looks interesting. Some more staff input, especially DT, is needed.

I knew that the absence of sources with this method would bring problems one day, and a thread like this was about to happen sooner or later. However, I will wait for more input before accepting Ugarik's proposal, I would like to know what DontTalkDT thinks about this.

Is this formula complicated to use for doing new versions of our old calculations? We may have to use the standard destruction values if they at least give approximately correct results. It isn't good if only the most skilled calculators can provide new calculations by using this method.

If I have understood well this new method, it shouldn't be complicated to use, Ugarik is only updating the destruction value of materials we usually use, like 6 J/cm^3 (Current destruction value of concrete) to 0.042 J/cm^3 (New destruction value of concrete).

However, I'm a confused whether these new values depend on the area/volume of the destroyed object or not. If Ugarik did this method with an existing calculation, it would be really helpful.

Some people may think that more proper way to calculate is is by using ΔV (volume change after impact) instead of the original volume of an object.

It may sound like it makes sence but it's not the case.

Let's say a cylindrical object becomes 2 times wider. It mean its volume will increase 4 times. How will it affects work needed to rupture it? Since the cross sectional area is now 4 times greater the force you have to be pressing it with will also increase by 4 times. If force becomes 4 times greater so is work of deformation.

If the object becomes 2 times longer it voleme becomes 2 times greater. Cross sectional area does not increase so the force remains the same. By since now the cilinder is 2 as long you need to maintain this force for twice the distance so the work still becomes 2 times greater.

Antvasima said:
Is this formula complicated to use for doing new versions of our old calculations? We may have to use the standard destruction values if they at least give approximately correct results. It isn't good if only the most skilled calculators can provide new calculations by using this method.
The formula is the same as before but the destruction values are different not. The formula above is used to find those destruction values anyone can use

Okay. We already have other site-wide revisions at the moment though, particularly for Regenerationn, and redoing several hundred calculations will be an absolutely staggering task to deal with long-term.

Not to mention updating all of the profiles that scale from them.

I should mention that almost all the profiles here will be affected by this revision.

Again, let's wait for DT to give his opinion on this matter. There are still many other calc members who haven't responded to this yet.

Not to mention that not all calcs involve concrete, sandstone or limestone and use different materials, even wood has multiple types that can't be brought down to one average. We'd have to find countless values for these things.

Therefir said:
I'm a confused whether these new values depend on the area/volume of the destroyed object or not. If Ugarik did this method with an existing calculation, it would be really helpful.
They do not. The method is the same. Now one needs to destroy about 350 thousand cubic centimetres of concrete to get wall level rating (about 70 cm tall concrete cube)

Sorry but should we check on the current value for compression strength for materials first, then divide them by a certain ratio to get frag and v frag values? (If compression values can be used for pulverisation feats, which is what we should be doing currently)

Also, do we need to take into account some objects are much easier to frag but much harder to pulverise? Say we have absurdly high pulverisation values for glass and ceramics but we are all sure we can destroy glass cups and ceramics cups much easier than destroying metal cups.

I agree with Ugarik's proposal to use toughness for fragmentation. However, I disagree with just multiplying 10 for violent fragmentation and pulverization, that's completely random without any justification. I am not sure how to find those values though.

I'm going to wait for more staff input on this first

I always knew our fragmentation values aren't 100% accurate since it isn't exclusively Joules/cc, as the shape of the object among other things. Plus, there are many different levels of fragmentation. And some elements and compounds don't always have static hardness or toughness values. Whether an temperature can effect stuff like that greatly.

Anyway, this is something that requires more staff input, especially from DontTalk, and we're already in the middle of other projects.

Regardless if this is accepted or not, we have several ongoing massive site revisions at the moment:

• The tiering system revision fallout.
  • The Regenerationn revision.
  • The removal of links to illegally uploaded material.
And this on top of the upcoming forum move. As such, I do not think that this is realistic to apply for quite a long time.

As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with Antvasima. I don't like things being disorganised or plainly incorrect on our profiles, but there probably isn't going to be enough time to truly and thoroughly handle these changes for quite a while.

One potential way to at least get some of it handled would be to make a thread where people can mention profiles that would definitely be affected by these changes. But a full site-wide sweep and revision of all the affected profiles isn't realistic at the moment.

DarkGrath said:
As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with Antvasima. I don't like things being disorganised or plainly incorrect on our profiles, but there probably isn't going to be enough time to truly and thoroughly handle these changes for quite a while.
One potential way to at least get some of it handled would be to make a thread where people can mention profiles that would definitely be affected by these changes. But a full site-wide sweep and revision of all the affected profiles isn't realistic at the moment.
But such changes have to be made uniformly to all character profiles else profiles will be not ready for versus debates or really biased.

Maybe people can start discussing how different materials get destroyed at different states and which values and/or miltipliers be applied, then we apply those agreed figures to relevant feats.

This will be causing least disturbances to the current many massive projects.

Besides, we still need more people to at least look at this first and DT doesn't seem to have responded yet. Before we talk about how this applies to the entire wiki as a whole (Which it will if accepted), we actually need people accepting it in full.

BTW Ugarik, does this apply to only brittle materials being destroyed or is metal also affected?

I am just saying that we would have to postpone such an enormous undertaking for several months at least, given our current situation in the wiki.

KLOL506 said:
BTW Ugarik, does this apply to only brittle materials being destroyed or is metal also affected?
Technicaly metals should also be affected but becaose of their high ductility it's not gonna be that different

Yeah, I don't think the really strong metals like steel are going to be too different. It's mostly stuff like fragmenting dirt clots aren't much of feats to begin with. Plus, pulverization seems pretty accurate given that's how much to crumble something into a salt/powder like substance.

Truth Bullets said:
I'm still confused as to how one calculates the toughness of materials.
To do the calculation you need to do a toughness test using a machine that tests the reaction of a material under some stress, this results in a stress-strain curve, then we use integration to find the area under the curve at certain points and the result of that area will be the toughness in dimensions that are proportional to j/cm┬│.

Then, after that we simply multiply that value to find the energy to destroy the material. The hard part is to find the value, Ugarik used youtube videos where the test is done to find the value of certain materials, but this is still far below from what we have in our current chart in specific values.

Truth Bullets said:
No, this affects fragmentation, violent fragmentation and pulverization calcs
No, only frag and v. frag. Ugarik himself noted that pulverization calcs using compressive strength of a material is still okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back