• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Overlook Hotel (Cinema) Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tllmbrg

VS Battles
Content Moderator
Aight so the AP is eh questionable
How is it 8-B, of the current reasoning it should at best warrant "Unknown physically, Large Building with reality warping" because well unless I missed something nothing implies the hotel is so massive to cover a city block and it can't really punch you so

Also standard equipment needs to be changed, currently it's:
Standard Equipment: Ax, spirits of the hotel, possessed Jack Torrance or Danny Torrance

Jack is maybe okay since he became part of the hotel but Danny literally only got possessed by the hotel in the last part of Doctor Sleep and then destroyed the Hotel

Also the mind manipulation and illusion creation need to be given a proper justification or they should get nuked of it

I agree. This page should also see similar revisions.

Though, Jack did get his head fucky-wuckied with so Mind Manip is OK.

I mean, kind of. His personality was still there so it wasn't completely overwritten, just altered. So yeah, Mind Manip through Possession.

Isn't that because he resisted the possession tho?
What's illusion creation from?

Nah, I think that's just how the possession was done- it's honestly more like corruption than possession. I'm not sure about the latter. Been a while since I watched the movie. I think they're supposed to be the spirits appearing to Jack.

Hm then we should switch those then, as for illusion creation ig we should ask staff what to do

Weird how this was made the very next day Goji left the wiki.

Illusion Creation comes from river of blood and the bear suit people, the fact it can make imaginary alcohol appear, and all the imaginary people in the gold room. Also Mind Manipulation comes from the hotel ******* with Jack's mind as seen in the typewriter scene.

Two Jack Torrance and Danny Torrance are it's possessed victims. It has control over them and has used them thus standard equipment and the fact Danny can fight the possession is detailed in the weakness sections.

Also it is possibly 8-B due to the fact the interior is far bigger then the outside.

The ratings make no sense anyway since no matter how large it's gonna get it won't get to actually attack with that size, by virtue of being a building, and buildings usually don't throw punches. Even then, 8-B sounds a bit too generous for the size we see it reach.

Considering Danny broke out of it, he clearly isn't equipment.

Yes the building isn't throwing punches, its tier is through its Reality Warping, having complete control over itself both on the inside and outside, hence why Striking Strength doesn't have that.

Also considering that Danny got possessed in the first place he clearly is, him breaking out of it is simply a weakness of the hotel. The Overlook Hotel still owns him and he couldn't leave it.

I agree with Gews. Striking Strength doesn't equal AP, so the "buildings can't throw punches" argument is complete bs.

If you want to go by that, no characters should get any AP justifications for reality warping, or any form of hax.

Last edited:
Yeah, fair enough tbh, I think the distinction should still be made clear in the AP section though. Still don't agree with Danny being equipment, though, unless someone is basically permanently tied to the one commanding it I don't see them counting as equipment.

Also, you literally defeat your own "it can't punch you" argument in the OP. You point out how it's tier rating is because of it's REALITY WARPING and how it's UNKNOWN PHYSICALLY.

Like, Tllm, I don't think you're stupid enough to do this without realizing it. If you have a problem with Goji, that's fine, but this isn't how you should go about the situation.

Yeah, fair enough tbh, I think the distinction should still be made clear in the AP section though. Still don't agree with Danny being equipment, though, unless someone is basically permanently tied to the one commanding it I don't see them counting as equipment.
I think I agree with this part at least. It makes sense, he wasn't under complete control and burnt the place down.

I disagree with every other part of this CRT.

I think I agree with this part at least. It makes sense, he wasn't under complete control and burnt the place down.

I disagree with every other part of this CRT.
Personally I'd still consider 8-B to be too much without some calculation, I know the place gets huge but High 8-C can cover very large areas too.

Personally I'd still consider 8-B to be too much without some calculation, I know the place gets huge but High 8-C can cover very large areas too.
Do you think "At least High 8-C, possibly 8-B" would be justifiable? Either way, someone could try to calc it, but it might not be quantifiable since it can manipulate the size inside of it

Possibly or not doesn't really change the fact it's too vague to put that high of a rating on it IMO, but I don't think it's worth fiercely debating.

Illusion Creation comes from river of blood and the bear suit people, the fact it can make imaginary alcohol appear, and all the imaginary people in the gold room. Also Mind Manipulation comes from the hotel ******* with Jack's mind as seen in the typewriter scene.
Fair enough
Like, Tllm, I don't think you're stupid enough to do this without realizing it. If you have a problem with Goji, that's fine, but this isn't how you should go about the situation.
I mean I did say at best you can have the rating be unknown physically, large building level with reality warping so
Yes the building isn't throwing punches, its tier is through its Reality Warping, having complete control over itself both on the inside and outside, hence why Striking Strength doesn't have that.
Yes, no character ever should get striking strength from reality Warping alone, as said in the striking strength page:
“Striking Strength is the amount of physical force an individual can deal out in a single strike. In other words, it is the physical Attack Potency of an individual. It may or may not depend on Lifting Strength.“

I fail to see how reality warping automatically translates to your physical strikes
Also considering that Danny got possessed in the first place he clearly is, him breaking out of it is simply a weakness of the hotel. The Overlook Hotel still owns him and he couldn't leave it.
I’d still oppose giving him as standard equipment, that implies the hotel always has him which it doesn’t
I’d be fine as him being optional equipment, but I really don’t think he’s standard just because the Hotel took over him in the end

Yes, no character ever should get striking strength from reality Warping alone, as said in the striking strength page:
“Striking Strength is the amount of physical force an individual can deal out in a single strike. In other words, it is the physical Attack Potency of an individual. It may or may not depend on Lifting Strength.“

I fail to see how reality warping automatically translates to your physical strikes
I never said that its Reality Warping translates to its physical hits, all I said is that it is the reasoning behind its current tier. Don't put words in my mouth.

I’d still oppose giving him as standard equipment, that implies the hotel always has him which it doesn’t
I’d be fine as him being optional equipment, but I really don’t think he’s standard just because the Hotel took over him in the end
Fair enough I guess.

It literally does not have a striking strength rating, did you even properly read the profile before making this CRT?

Nobody claimed reality warping claimed to physicals, because that's irrational. You don't need a certain level of striking strength to achieve a certain level of AP.

Then the AP rating should be changed to reflect that fact too

Anyways, the mind and illusion creation should be detailed as mentioned in CRT, Danny should be switched to optional equipment, slight modification to AP justification and we can close this CRT

Uh, agree and disagree with what? We didn't even agree to start voting.

CRTs don't work by voting by default. And considering Axx literally agreed to some stuff, it shouldn't be simplified to that.

Anyways, the mind and illusion creation should be detailed as mentioned in CRT, Danny should be switched to optional equipment, slight modification to AP justification and we can close this CRT
Actually we literally came to this conclusion, unless you disagree with it somehow

So a CRT can be added with just 2 people agreeing with a CRT (one of those two people only agreeing with ONE thing about the CRT), and the majority of the people who participated in the thread disagree with the thread. And on top of all of that not a single staff member has given their thoughts on the CRT?

So does anyone want to at least apply an edit explaining the mind Manipulation and illusion creation?
Rest I’ll assume are in contention still so we can’t just edit it in unless Gews is okay with having Danny as optional equipment and to change the wording for AP

Edit: so we can’t do the latter edit but first should still be done

So a CRT can be added with just 2 people agreeing with a CRT (one of those two people only agreeing with ONE thing about the CRT), and the majority of the people who participated in the thread disagree with the thread. And on top of all of that not a single staff member has given their thoughts on the CRT?
Disagree with what. Not "the CRT", make an actual argument. It's not even a big change, just some minor rewording. But you are right in that it cannot be applied yet.

I am ok with the edit explaining the Mind Manipulation and Illusion Creation bit. Everything else about the profile is ok.

However I would like to add that the SS of the profile should be replaced with N/A. Its a building and it should be obvious that its tier/AP is based on its powers (because when was the last time you saw two buildings have a battle to the death?).

Edit: Also I am pretty sure there are other profiles out there that are like this too.

Last edited:
However I would like to add that the SS of the profile should be replaced with N/A. Its a building and it should be obvious that its tier/AP is based on its powers (because when was the last time you saw two buildings have a battle to the death?).
This is the main thing I would like changed and not the tier simply be "x via Reality Warping" as that should be self-evident because we list the Striking Strength statistic a certain way for a reason. Simple nitpicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back