• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The official calculation blogs

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

Our wiki navigation bar currently has two series of sections that overlap, "Guidelines: Policies" and "Featured: Information Blogs".

Basically, the official pages within the former section mainly focus on informing about standards used for calculations, but so do some of the blogs within the latter section, whereas most of them provide information about different fictional franchises.

This seems improperly organised, and I have noticed that this causes our members to be considerably less aware of the important information provided by the blogs. As such, I suggest that we copy the contents to official regular pages, and link to them within the "Guidelines: Policies" sections instead.

Would the rest of you find this acceptable?

The following pages would be included:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Darkanine/Earthquake_Power_Chart

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Antoniofer/Explosion_Radious/Area

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Lina_Shields/Mountain_and_Island_level_requirements

NOTE: STAFF ONLY

@Assaltwaffle

Yes, that seems like a good idea, and I would link to them via the list in the front page as well.

I am fine with including the storm calculation blog. I had forgotten about that.

I will wait for a bit more input before handling this, to be on the safe side.

Okay. I will handle this after I am done with the daily backlog.

I think I've found an issue with my storm blog.

You see, they all assume the storm cloud is 30,000 ft.

The calculation in this forum thread, which attempted a hypothetical calc of a "standard" storm, used a height of 15 kilometers, a width of 10 km, and a length of 10 km.

http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/1147886/How_much_energy_is_in_a_thunde

The storm got 1.687 terajoules, from this standard storm. Quite handily blowing all of the values on my blog out of the water.

Well on one hand it's pretty ridiculous for a storm that only covers an area of 550 meters to be 13,000 meters tall.

It's also pretty ridiculous for a storm that covers the entire planet to be 13 km tall (maybe)?

So I think establishing some mid, high, and low for the according values should be fine.

Okay, false alarm.

"Now lets assume a modest density for air, which is variable with height (decreasing), so hence in the US standard atmosphere at the surface you have 1.225 kg/m^3, at altitude a 5th of the pressure, so hence lets take a mean value of say 0.75kg/m^3 for the depth the cloud.

So by mass 1.125x10^12 kg.

Assume all energy is yielded and the CAPE is a modest 1500J/kg:
1.687 Terajoules"

So not only did he use a different cloud density to find the mass, but 13,000 meters isn't that much lower than 15,000 meters, and he somehow got 1.687 terajoules by multiplying 1.125x10^12 by 1,500 (The actual result would only 1.6875e+15 joules).

EDIT: He didn't multiply incorrectly. I just misinterpreted terajoules as teratons.

Okay. Thank you for the update.

Back