• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Highwayman Vs The Magician (House of the Dead) - Hamlet vs Mansion

Dismas sighed as he felt the rain mat his dirty hair, closest he felt to being clean in he didn't know how long. When your usual line of work was running and gunning it out in giant overgrown woods, a murky set of sewers, the ruins where your employer's ancestors lived and a cove filled with fish men that wanted to gut you like a trout you took whatever respite you could. He was given leave to oversee a delicate matter for the heir and the plague doctor, supposedly there was a mansion about a day's travel from the hamlet that was conducting various experiments and Dismas was tasked with speaking to the head of the place and seeing if their services could be enlisted.

As he walked down the path to the manor gates he heard unearthly roars and the cries of people in danger, his ears perking up Dismas drew his dagger and flintlock and bolted into the manor grounds. He blew off the head of a creature that most certainly reminded him of the weald's creatures but not before it killed one of the staff. Dismas ran to the man who asked him "Others are still inside, save them." before they bled out.

The highwayman knew it'd be too long to come back with aid before these creatures got out into the world, Dismas sighed and thought 'Perhaps I should follow Reynauld's example and give this heroism thing a shot' and so he went blasting and slashing his way through the countless monsters that lurked within. It turned out the lord of the place was behind it all, shuddering from the tales the heir told him of the Ancestor's creations Dismas resolved to put two bullets between the man's eyes when he got hold of him.

Before long he came to the lab where Curien was........Dismas calmly readied his gun muttering "Don't even blink you monster......."

Curien however smirked and said "Your too late, my final weapon is ready. Behold! The Magician!" and slowly and surely the monstrous final creation of Curien was unleashed and promptly turned on its master! Dismas just barely dodged the fireball before giving chase, no way he could let this thing out into the world!

Speed is equalised. Both are 9-A. HMW has no optional equipment and Magician doesn't have Pandora's Box. SBA otherwise

My way or the highway!:0

Light Gun Mewtwo: 8

Incon: 0

Last edited:
A Darkest Dungeon thread. I have been summoned.

Key questions: How quickly the Magician regenerates? How does he fight in-character?

So I probably should go over AP for this

Magician has this calc here, however the feat in question kills the creature that Magician is comparable to. Here's the video of it in question and the creature seems to get vaporized from what I can tell (It was the only way to overpower its healing and regen as the boss does come back after dying the first time and was transforming before James went and yeeted himself)

So he doesn't fully scale to this (Idk by how much) and HWM can amp himself to cover the AP anyway so it should be fine

That's interesting. Basically, the Magician runs around at very high speed and does hit-and-run tactics. That's quite different than what Dismas would be used to, as the Magician is faster, way more mobile and flashier than the closest alternative I can think of in DD, which would be either other Highwaymen in Butcher's Circus, or something like the Swinetaur. Also, nice story! I wish more people did that to matches.

Hmmm, for AP, Magician seems and feels stronger, and even the AP advantage provided by Dismas wielding knives and pistols and actually upscaling from the feat (The weakest incarnation of the Swine King does the feat, and Dismas fights stronger versions while way better equipped) would be mostly null here as the Magician does too with his claws. I'll say that Dimas can make up for it a bit with his damage buffing abilities, but Magician is clearly stronger. Dismas seems stronger in LS by having actual feats, but I don't think it'd play out on this fight in most scenarios. Neither of them fight using their LS in any meaningful way.

Durability is the same deal, Magician is tougher. What actually makes this special is that Magician, at least from seeing the boss fights, is quite prone to interrupting attacks by wincing. Dismas is way less frequent in his shooting than the other dude, of course, so it happens a lot less, but it is still something to be aware of. Dismas seem to be actually the one that tolerates pain and adversity better, so he might have points for that.

Speed is equalized, but I'll say that the Magician is way more mobile. For reasons I'll go into, I don't think that matters much in this fight, but it is indeed something that happens.

In versatility, powers and the like... This is actually pretty straightforward. The Magician has more offensive options and can offend Dismas in more ways than Dismas can otherwise, but Dismas' options are, in themselves, better. While the Magician's powers read like different ways of smacking someone, either with his fists, energy, fire and claws, Dismas can actually debuff, cause bleeding damage, buff himself and push the Magician away. Seeing the Magician's propensity to flinch, Point Blank Shot can very way repulse him in most times he tries to rush Dismas, and if he just charges straightforwardly to him, Duellist's Advance can actually provide a solid counter. However, despite having the tools for it, I can't imagine this being fun for Dismas. The Magician fights unlike anything in Darkest Dungeon, and in such a way that is deeply inconvenient to him. Every single mistake he makes, which he will make, will be very bad for him considering his toughness V.S. Magician's strength.

As how the fight would play out, I expect the Magician to win with a lot of difficulty. Again, Dismas has the tools to take care of him and totally could if he was, above everything, more durable, but this simply isn't the case. In this battle of Dismas stabbing him with Duellist's Advance and Point Blank Shot and the Magician hit-and-running and bombarding him with fiery stuff, I'm betting on the clawed abomination,

Back