• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Calc Group Discussion forum board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavpeny

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
It has come to my notice recently that the Calc Group discussion board is being under-utilized (in the sense that most calculation evaluation discussions continue to happen within calc/blog post comments section), which is a concern.

I realize that creating a corresponding new thread for discussing a calculation is a hassle to the creator of the blog post, but I must ask calculation blog post creators to nevertheless put up with it, since it makes their blog posts far easier to discuss and evaluate.

The current strategy of ideally having a forum thread for every blog post is because:

1. Blog posts have the added advantage of being added to categories, unlike forums, which allows for relevant calcs to directly show up on the Verse pages. Additionally, blog posts are far easier to search than forums, in case of requiring a future reference.
  2. However, blog posts are quite poor for holding discussions, primarily because blog comments do not generate notifications, which leads to discussions going nowhere. Forum threads, on the other hand, are a great way to conduct discussions.
Keeping in mind both of the above, the two-fold strategy of having blog posts and forums together was suggested and implemented.

To that end, I have a request for Calc Group members, to increase the usage of the two-part strategy.

Whenever requested to evaluate a calculation by members, I would like to urge the Calc Group members to ask the members to create corresponding discussion threads in the calc discussion forum board.

A sample conversation:
Member: "Please evaluate [sample calc/blog post]".
Calc Group: "To facilitate easier evaluation, please create a corresponding discussion thread under this board."

A simple yet effective response like that should increase usage of the forums for discussing calcs. As for what the corresponding thread post OP should look like, something simple like: "Thread to discuss [sample calc/blog post]" will suffice.

Lastly, the blog post creators should also edit their blog post later, to add a link to the forum thread where the discussion about their calculation took place (eg: This calculation is discussed at [thread link]).

Note: This is only relevant to calculation blog posts. All other blog posts are exempt from any requirements of corresponding threads.

This is fine. Should we also include some brief lines in the original calc eval post to spread the message faster?

We should probably write a few lines there yes. Do you have any suggestions?

All of my yes. The vast majority of the time all I do for a calc blog is post once and forget about it, leaving discussion unfinished. This has happened to my calcs as well. I think we can certainly implement something like this to make the system drastically more effective.

I can agree aswell, but would do if the correction is a big one. Minor corrections (mis-calculations for example) can be done in the same blog.

I have added the following text to the first post of the calculation evaluations thread:

In addition, whenever you post a new calculation blog, always start a corresponding thread in the calc group forum, and post a link to it within the blog. This is done so the calc group members can more easily discuss the issue with each other by receiving notifications.

Okay, so how do you think that I should modify the text?

I would say it applies for mainly long/detailed calculations, or calcs using uncommon methods. There are some things that can be judged by a glance, or within a few seconds.

Okay. However, I am very tired, as I have both worked my usual time at the wiki and organised the staff recruitment drive results today, so help with suggestions for how to appropriately adjust the text segment would be appreciated.

In addition, for calculation blogs that are long and detailed, or use unusual or uncommon calculation methods, always start a corresponding thread in the calc group forum, and post a link to it within the blog. This is done so the calc group members can more easily discuss the issue with each other by receiving notifications.

Okay. Do the rest of you prefer UMR's version?

Can anyone post a link to the guide for compressing the mass of a planet? I remember a guide on shrinking energy, but can't find it.

@Lightbuster

I'm not exactly sure, but you can always use the movement of the planet to find a kinetic energy value. Also I am not sure why this post is still open, since it has been done since October 13th. If you would like to ask such a question, please make a post on the Calc Forum and I am sure one of us will be there to help out and give a more elaborate response.

Edit: Also I am closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back