• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Mario Bros. Hax CRT: Power Stars + Emotions and Manipulation

So this is gonna be a quick little CRT for an ability I wanted to add to the character's pages for a long time. This will include feats as well as resistances.

Let's begin from probably the biggest case in the games:

Super Mario 64

This one should be rather straightforward. Here's a few excerpts from the plot summary:

"To help him accomplish this, he plans to convert the residents of the painting world into monsters as well. If nothing is done, all those monsters will soon begin to overflow from inside the painting."

"Princess Toadstool and Toad are missing, too. Bowser must have taken them and sealed them inside the painting. Unless Mario recovers the Power Stars immediately, the inhabitants of this world will become Bowser's army."

So, here we learn that Bowser is planning to corrupt not only Peach, but her Toads and the residents of the painting worlds as well, and Peach is the purest of heart canonically so it would be pretty effective morality manipulation too.

Converting into monsters is blatant transmutation as well.

We can go even further with a quote from the DS Version from the Toad in the room of Jolly Roger Bay:

"Being imprisoned in these walls can drive a fungus crazy. When I really start to freak out, I think to myself, "Well, I'm going to be here for a while, so I might as well stare at the fish. They are oddly hypnotic." Then I actually start to like being captured............Aaaguugh! IT'S MADNESS! I've got to snap out of this! You have to free us before we're all completely brainwashed! ...But for now, why don't you gaze at the fish with me. You look tense. Come relax."

As you can see, there's a direct quote that the Toads may be being brainwashed as they lay trapped inside the castle walls. This particular Toad is going mad.

However, there's also a few more pieces of evidence I'd like to bring up:

"Watch out! If you wander around here, you're liable to be plastered by a water bomb! Those enemy Bob-ombs love to fight, and they're always finding ways to attack. This meadow has become a battlefield ever since the Big Bob-omb got his paws on the Power Star. Can you recover the Star for us? Cross the bridge and go left up the path to find the Big Bob-omb. Please come back to see me after you've retrieved the Power Star!"

"Waaaa! You've flooded my house! Wh-why??? Look at this mess! What am I going to do now? The ceiling's ruined, the floor is soaked...What to do, what to do? Huff...huff...it makes me so...MAD!!! Everything's been going wrong ever since I got this Star...It's so shiny, but it makes me feel...strange..."

"Owwch! Uncle! Uncle! Okay, I give up! Take this Star! Whew! I feel better now. I don't really need it anymore, anyway--I can see the stars through my ceiling at night. They make me feel...peaceful. Please, come back and visit anytime."

The Wiggler states that things have been going bad ever since it got the Power Star and once it relinquishes the macguffin to you, he suddenly feels better and more at peace.

And as for the Bob-Omb Buddy, it let's us know that Bob-Omb Battlefield used to just be a normal meadow before King Bob-Omb with the Power Star acquired turned it into a battlefield. Just a supporting thing.

Power Stars can also give Mario more courage.

So as you can see, from 64 alone there's a ton of good empath manipulation/corruption feats, mostly done by Bowser and the Power Stars. The Wiggler instantly got relieved of it's anger and stress the minute it handed the Power Star over, which I believe is proof that empath hax is passive. Anyone who has used Power Stars should be able to resist this unless they've been shown to be affected. The range depends on how the Power Star CRT goes, but for now it can assumed to be an effect on the entirety of these painting worlds.

Next up, we have Yoshi's Story:

The Super Happy Tree is the source of all happiness for the island, and when Baby Bowser takes it away, the Yoshis who witnessed it are crushed, too crushed to do much of anything. Even the Sun itself seems to grow dim and droopy in sadness, which shows impressive range and potency

The fruit from the tree could grant Yoshis Super Happy forms, which granted them a plethora of abilities and amps, using empath manip to physically empower them kind like the Vibe Scepter from Super Princess Peach.

Upon retrieving the Tree back, Baby Bowser claims that the fruit it bears tastes rotten to him anyways, showing that this magical tree of happiness couldn't even affect him.

And now, Bowser's Fury:

While details are unclear, what we can observe is that Mario and Bowser Jr. don't get turned into evil goo versions of themselves when Bowser passively corrupts the whole world, which would be a resistance to empath/mind manip and corruption.

Mario and Jr. also can withstand Bowser Jr.'s paint which is what corrupted Bowser to begin with.

And then finally, Color Splash:

Mario can still fight despite having emotions used against him - sad, unmotivated, self-concious, and angry

Worth noting that anyone with paint abilities can replicate this as well, and people who have lived without paint before (Mario and Jr., and maybe Bowser and the Koopalings) would likely have a resistance on a conceptual level (if that Paint CRT ever goes through, but if not, ignore this)

This is all in base.

Some more abilities for the Power Star as noted by GyroNutz

Healing: Power Stars are shown to heal Mariowhen he collects them, even if he's on 1 HP. This happens in the levels upon collecting them, and after the levels too.

Purification (Types 2 and 3): Defeating Bowser and his troops brought peace back to the world, shown to be due to power stars. Toad also states that life is returning to the castle thanks to the power of the Stars. This would be type 2: getting rid of dark energy.
Type 3's more straightforward: Power Stars can heal Mario from burns, which is generally considered to be a form of status effect.

Statistics Amplification: Very straightforward, Mario is stated to get stronger from the power of the stars. This logic is already supported but not explicitly on the profile.

Size Manipulation: The Power Stars are implied to have made Wiggler far bigger, as he shrinks upon losing the power star. The official player's guide states that Wiggler returns to his normal self after losing the power star, and the Grand Star has a similar ability which is shown more explicitly.

I'll bring up a few of my own thoughts on Power Stars.

For one, it's pretty straightforward, but Power Stars can frequently take you out of the dimensions in the paintings and walls upon collecting them. This should be Dimensional Travel and grant a resistance to BFR.

Speaking of BFR and ways to resist it, a Power Star's magic also helped Kamella teleport around

And speaking of Kamella, the Power Star would also have the abilities in her boss fight listed, which includes fire manipulation, summoning, and creating barriers, otherwise known as Forcefield Creation.

Another ability I want to talk about the possibility of is Power Nullification.

For one, Power Stars are stated and shown to be able to undo the seals Bowser has put on the doors of the castle, and collecting them all allowed Peach and her staff to have their seals lifted as well.

Secondly, in Mario Galaxy, while it might be headcanon and can't be directly proven Comets are related to Power Stars, what IS a fact is that retrieving the Power Star of a Comet will undo it's effects, such as the Daredevil Comets which reduce Mario's health down to a single hit and negate any healing or recovery items as well as 1-Ups

To summarise:

- All Power Star users who haven't shown to be affected by the Power Star's passive empath abilities would be granted resistances to those abilities

- Power Stars should have Corruption (which includes effects like that of transmutation/biology manipulation, morality manipulation, and mind manipulation), Willpower Manipulation, Empathic Manipulation, Healing, Purification Types 2 & 3, Statistics Amplification, Size Manipulation, Teleportation, Dimensional Travel, and Power Nullification added to their abilities on their profiles for all of the statements and feats in 64 and other games

- Super Happy Tree feat is just supporting evidence and shows Bowser's resisted pretty good empath hax since he was an infant

- Bowser Jr.'s paint scales above any other feat of resistance Bowser would have so far, and both he and Mario resist it

- Paint, as in the ability/concept from the Paper Mario series, has the ability to affect emotions with an overabundance as well as without any of it, and anyone with the ability to use or drain paint would have this capability, and anyone who has functioned without paint or while under it's emotional effect grants them a resistance to it

If I've missed anything or links don't work please provide feedback. I'll be happpy to fix them.

I can also always add more to the additions list if anyone has found any other hax related to emotions, morality, mind, corruption, etc. I can't claim to have found everything, just enough to get discussion going.

Last edited:
Would corrupting Peach be feat to list or not, because it didn’t happen in the end?

Maybe? Speaking of, Peach has some empath hax of her own I think.
Well, yeah.

But if it didn't happen, can we be sure Bowser can corrupt Peach? I personally doubt it, since Mario didn't save Peach "immediately" as the text said and Peach was still fine

While details are unclear, what we can observe is that Mario and Bowser Jr. don't get turned into evil goo versions of themselves when Bowser passively corrupts the whole world, which would be a resistance to empath/mind manip and corruption.

And Peach, from what I heard, has a stronger pure heart than Mario

Yeah, I put quotations to ignore it for now. Besides, the video linked shows more evidence of paint affecting emotions to support the link above, and given Mario and BJ were able to live on without paint it'd still be a resistance.

Regardless I don't think it matters much. It's still an ability he was gonna use/did use
Fair but I just wouldn't word it as corrupting Peach for vs match purposes, say, Peach vs Bowser, or Peach vs anyone with corruption, if she is suppose to scale above Mario having a purer heart than him.

This is the most straightforward and comprehensive CRT I've ever seen. Hard agree.

Corruption, Madness Manipulation, and Empathy Manipulation looks fine. But iirc, Morality Manipulation is something that needs more context. Willpower Manipulation I might be fine with too.

Corruption, Madness Manipulation, and Empathy Manipulation looks fine. But iirc, Morality Manipulation is something that needs more context. Willpower Manipulation I might be fine with too.
Morality Manipulation is when you change your morality, such as being good to bad and bad to good. In Bowser's case, he went against everyone, even his son who he cares for. And as such, Mario resists since he can touch it.

There's also the fact he was planning to corrupt Peach and the Toads as well as the inhabitants of the worlds.

Though I'll look more into this just to be sure

Using mind manipulating powers, the user can forcefully control the morals and loyalties of the target, making them their slave, right-hand-man or even just something who abides by their laws.

Here's the description for Morality Control on the Morality Manipulation page. Note how it says they can control the loyalties of their target and/or make them their slave? Is that not what Bowser is doing by forcibly using magic to convert the residents into members of his army he can command?

Also, as Blaze pointed out, the black paint made Bowser turn against his own son, and the cats who will normally shower Cat Mario with love and affection will be forced to turn against him, acting out Bowser's will due to his fury affecting them.

I feel like those fit the qualifications.

I should also mention that Power Stars should also get mind manipulation from this quote:

"Being imprisoned in these walls can drive a fungus crazy. When I really start to freak out, I think to myself, "Well, I'm going to be here for a while, so I might as well stare at the fish. They are oddly hypnotic." Then I actually start to like being captured............Aaaguugh! IT'S MADNESS! I've got to snap out of this! You have to free us before we're all completely brainwashed! ...But for now, why don't you gaze at the fish with me. You look tense. Come relax."

For context, Toad stated he was being brainwashed when he was sealed within the walls/paintings of Jolly Roger Bay. You can also argue quote number 2 is mind control.

The former seems like corruption - Bowser turning the inhabitants of the painting worlds into "monsters", or a "zombie army" as stated in the official player's guide fits the description well. This would be active as it's something Bowser is going to do, rather than something he is doing. Worth noting that corruption can involve physical changes as well, so transmutation wouldn't be necessary.

The Bob-Omb quote seems to be more about power imbalance, and how the Power Star is strengthening the enemy Bob-Ombs. However the stuff about Wiggler is clear, and made more explicit in the player's guide. This would be passive empathic manipulation, something that power star wielders would resist potentially numerous times over.

I don't agree with the toad quote - it's pretty clear that he's being driven mad by being trapped inside the walls, unable to move rather than some passive ability of the power stars.

Bowser's Fury stuff seems fine.

Mind Manipulation and Morality Manipulation seem superfluous when Corruption explains what they do more specifically. I suppose willpower manip is fine too.

So corruption covers transmutation, morality, and mind manip for Power Stars?

Corruption would also cover similar things for Bowser's Fury then save for transmutation, except that case is actually passive.

Just asking for clarification

Yeah, I think corruption accurately describes the Power Stars' feat by itself.

Oh, I found something potentially interesting.

In Mario and Luigi, a natural status effect called Fury can be cured by a Refreshing Herb. Fury is exactly how it sounds: Characters under it's effects are visibly steaming and can attack more rapidly with an increase of stats. In Bowser's case it increases POW at the cost of defense. It's basically a natural Rage Power/Berserk Mode.

However, a Refreshing Herb can cure this status effect, meaning it pacifies the user, calming their... well, fury.

Would this be like a minor form of and/or resistance to empath manipulation via use of an Herb because it can pacify a target, quelling their anger? Or is this like, a purification thing maybe?

Purification is the act of removing contaminants from a person or object. This can either mean cleansing evil spirits or filtering out materials within a substance (ex. reverse osmosis in the purification of water). In the former case, this can be seen as a form of Soul Manipulation or Spiritual Healing and can be used as a counter to Possession. Purification can also be used to remove status effects.

Okay yeah, so probably Purification but it can also pacify anger/rage in things that aren't spirits. Refreshing Herbs also clear Poison and Sickness as well so it would be fitting.

The former seems like corruption - Bowser turning the inhabitants of the painting worlds into "monsters", or a "zombie army" as stated in the official player's guide fits the description well.
Not necessarily, as this isn't the first time Bowser has went ahead and turned people into other things, aka Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and later on Yoshi's Story or Mario Party 2.

I don't agree with the toad quote - it's pretty clear that he's being driven mad by being trapped inside the walls, unable to move rather than some passive ability of the power stars.
I disagree with this, and that's due to the fact that he specifies that he is indeed being brainwashed from being trapped, plus corruption and mind control can always be a sub-power of both.

So overall I still think transmutation, mind control, and morality manipulation are still good to go.

Not necessarily, as this isn't the first time Bowser has went ahead and turned people into other things, aka Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and later on Yoshi's Story or Mario Party 2.
Yeah, Bowser has transmutation via his black magic. However this is done using the Power Stars, and seems more like a case of corruption, which is capable of physically changing targets too. While it could be transmutation, corruption explains the feat on its own accurately.

"Corruption is the ability to "infect" someone or something with one's power, making said person or thing into a different being or state of being than it was before."

I disagree with this, and that's due to the fact that he specifies that he is indeed being brainwashed from being trapped, plus corruption and mind control can always be a sub-power of both.
He's being driven crazy from being trapped in the walls. The example he gives is him staring at the fish and thinking it's not so bad to be trapped inside the walls. It all strongly implies that his "brainwashing" is just him being driven mad by being trapped inside the walls rather than some ability of Bowser/the Power Stars.

Speaking of Power Stars, there's a few other abilities that I think they're currently lacking. Would you mind if I brought them up here, or would you rather I brought them up on a separate thread @Foxthefox1000?

Healing: Power Stars are shown to heal Mario when he collects them, even if he's on 1 HP. This happens in the levels upon collecting them, and after the levels too.

Purification (Types 2 and 3): Defeating Bowser and his troops brought peace back to the world, shown to be due to power stars. Toad also states that life is returning to the castle thanks to the power of the Stars. This would be type 2: getting rid of dark energy.
Type 3's more straightforward: Power Stars can heal Mario from burns, which is generally considered to be a form of status effect.

Statistics Amplification: Very straightforward, Mario is stated to get stronger from the power of the stars. This logic is already supported but not explicitly on the profile.

Size Manipulation: The Power Stars are implied to have made Wiggler far bigger, as he shrinks upon losing the power star. The official player's guide states that Wiggler returns to his normal self after losing the power star, and the Grand Star has a similar ability which is shown more explicitly.

Alright. Looks good to me. Added to the OP.

If anyone else has any abilities the Power Stars have done I suppose we can also discuss and add them here.

I'll bring up a few of my own thoughts on Power Stars.

For one, it's pretty straightforward, but Power Stars can frequently take you out of the dimensions in the paintings and walls upon collecting them. This should be Dimensional Travel and grant a resistance to BFR.

Speaking of BFR and ways to resist it, a Power Star's magic also helped Kamella teleport around

And speaking of Kamella, the Power Star would also have the abilities in her boss fight listed, which includes fire manipulation, summoning, and creating barriers, otherwise known as Forcefield Creation.

Another ability I want to talk about the possibility of is Power Nullification.

For one, Power Stars are stated and shown to be able to undo the seals Bowser has put on the doors of the castle, and collecting them all allowed Peach and her staff to have their seals lifted as well.

Secondly, in Mario Galaxy, while it might be headcanon and can't be directly proven Comets are related to Power Stars, what IS a fact is that retrieving the Power Star of a Comet will undo it's effects, such as the Daredevil Comets which reduce Mario's health down to a single hit point and negates any healing items or health restoration as well as 1-Ups I can look for more support from the guides later where I believe they back this part up.

Last edited:
Back