• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(STAFF ONLY) Regarding calc blogs with multiple calculations and/or walls of text

M3X_2.0

VS Battles
Retired
Hello everyone. I brought this discussion with @Antvasima and the others calc group members and I decided to create a thread about it. As the title says, this thread is about calculation blogs with multiple calculations and walls of text.

The issue was raised because of this blog and a few others. Blogs with multiple calculations will not be acceptable anymore, if the calculations in question are very important for the verse. If they are very important for the verse, such as a calc that would define the Tier of the characters, it should be created a new blog for this specific feat. Multiple feats, but small ones, are obviously welcome, such as this.

About the "walls of text", we, calc group members, don't need a in-verse explanation about the feat in question and the mechanics around it, we just need a explanation of what is happening (if, of course, the feat depends on verse mechanics), but we don't need to read a light novel. Do it separately from the calculation, it can be after or before the calculation, but never mix both together. Quoting @Mr._Bambu:

Please try to keep information in your calc concise and intuitive. Our calc group members rarely have the time to learn things like in-depth verse mechanics- in light of this, please make an effort to shorten calculations to make it easier for a calc group member to evaluate it, while still maintaining the same crucial amount of information given.

Another issue is the amount of decimals some people use. Try to use 4 to 6 decimals while doing calculations. More than that or huge amount of decimals doesn't make it more accurate, but the opposite.

This will be our new guidelines. If you're a normal member, you have my "staff permission" to ask questions if you have any.

since you allow me to speak here.

This will be our new guidelines. If you're a normal member, you have my "staff permission" to ask questions if you have any

I probably won't but I want to ask, if I create a separate tab where I keep the context such as the mention of where Character X is and the mechanics of his power, which can be easily avoided by closing Tap, would it be allowed?

I agree with this of course. Blog posts that have multiple unrelated calculations and huge walls of text really sap me of my enthusiasm as a calc evaluator.

I'm not expecting all blog posts to be retroactively fixed to deal with this, but going forwards people should be more mindful of how much they're putting in a single blog post when it doesn't need to be all in one place.

Yeah, should work. Those long posts will only make harder to evaluate/understand the blog be a calc member or a normal one who would just want to see from where X statistic comes.

Somebody needs to write a new instruction text to add to the first post of our calculation evaluations requests thread.

This is fine, I think we should have a limit of like 4 small calcs per blog

Of course if each of the feats is massive, they should all have their own blog, there's just been many times where I've been asked to evaluate a calc blog with like 10-20 calcs in one blog, which is like... I'm happy to eventually evaluate them all, but all at once is a bit much to process at one time

Somebody needs to write a new instruction text to add to the first post of our calculation evaluations requests thread.
See the first post here:

This will be our new guidelines. If you're a normal member, you have my "staff permission" to ask questions if you have any.
If it's ok, I would like to ask one question
Another issue is the amount of decimals some people use. Try to use 4 to 6 decimals while doing calculations. More than that or huge amount of decimals doesn't make it more accurate, but the opposite.
As a member who done several calcs myself, I would like to ask why exactly it's best to stick with few decimal digits, because the explaination on that reddit blog isn't very clear to me

DontTalk told us in private that it is best to use a sufficient amount of decimal digits during the calculation processes themselves, but not when presenting the final results.

Does this also mean older and already evaluated calculations like this have to be broken up?

For reference, I don’t just link the entire blog on pages, I link the specific section.

It's fine since it's being used. This threads is to avoid that from now on

I would like to mention that I wasn't referring to speed calcs themselves, but calcs that measure distance.

The calc that ByAsura linked is one of the examples I was referring to with unnecessary amount of digits.

28563.2151462995 km
53.7423312883 m
2764.37116564 m
2743.40205959 m
28563.2151462995 km

(58991.0912218 + 36869.4320136) / 2 = 47,930.2616177 km/s

What would happen if we reduced the amount of digits in this last formula, would it change the results significantly like DT said?

(58991.09 + 36869.43) / 2 = 47930.26 km/s

No, it didn't, it didn't affect the result even by a fraction. Adding more than two decimals is just asking to make the blog more difficult to read and understand.

Last edited:
I'm not a calc member/person but I do agree with this. I've seen blogs contain multiple unrelated calculations of a single verse and I know it's hard to evaluate.

How would calculations that are just really big work?

Like this is all 1 calc. Would things of this nature be an issue?

That is all for one feat, so that one isn't an issue.

Though the figures don't necessarily all need to be as long as they are as Therefir pointed out up above.
The blog is well structured so it's fine
Gotcha and thanks.

So I guess the main points of this thread are
  1. Keep the calculations in a blog to a minimum. Don't fill up a blog with 10+ huge calculations and say "evaluate".
    1. If multiple calcs go in 1 blog, don't make it too many in 1 blog. Can be a handful of small blogs.
  2. Make sure that the few calculations there are are related, don't ask for a plethora of random feats that have nothing to do with each other.
  3. Lessen the amount of significant figures used in a calc, restrict it to 6 max and recommended, 2 or 3.
  4. Don't explain too much about the feat, just explain enough so the CGMs know what the feat is.

Blogs with multiple calculations will not be acceptable anymore, if the calculations in question are very important for the verse. If they are very important for the verse, such as a calc that would define the Tier of the characters, it should be created a new blog for this specific feat. Multiple feats, but small ones, are obviously welcome, such as this.
Does something like this count? (it is not evaluated yet, but it is my best example).
Although the second one ends up defining the tier of a character, it is not very big and the first feat is only a backup, without really affecting anyone's tier.

Back