• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

So Let's Talk About Milk Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultima_Reality

?????????
VS Battles
Administrator
About time someone made a discussion thread about that

This thread contains links to ****************, so I suggest you make sure to use an AdBlock or Antivirus Program when clicking on them. Those kinds of sites tend to be really spoopy.

Introductio
So, to give you all a brief primer about what Milk Wars is all about: Basically, it is a Crisis Crossover of sorts which unites characters from both Mainstream DC and its more obscure imprint Young Animal, intended for more mature readers and yada yada. It spins directly out of the sixth volume of Doom Patrol, written by Gerard Way, with the basic premise being that an extradimensional, omnipotent corporation responsible for admnistering all possible stories known as Retconn is adjusting and rebranding Earth-Prime as a whole using radioactive milk from psychic cows to mutate several Superheroes into clean, homogenized versions of themselves which Retconn consider safe to the masses, and thus proper for selling to Manga Khan, another Doom Patrol villain who makes an appearance here.

This results in the Justice League becoming the "Community League of Rhode Island", and most Superheroes becoming characters which seem to have been pulled out from a 50s Sitcom (Wonder Woman becoming Wonder Wife, Batman becoming Batminister and Superman becoming Milkman Man, sort of, but we'll get to this in a short while)

As you can probably guess, this storyline is mostly intended to be a huge meta-joke, with the Retconn Corps being clearly a stand-in for DC Comics itself. In fact, in spite of being entities from beyond reality, they act and look pretty much like normal humans, with their soldiers being easily dispatched by Batman and their asses being almost kicked by the Justice League and the Doom Patrol, the fact that they are also threatened by Manga Khan didn't really help things either, so the storyline was mostly treated as being just meme material and disregarded as impossible to tier by this wiki.

Now I can perfectly follow this train of thought, considering that the head writer of the (un)event, Gerard Way, already expressed that Milk Wars is an event that can stand on its own grounds and isn't necessarily fully attached to Mainstream DC in some ways, with its events mostly affecting the storylines published under the Young Animal banner. However, I've found some evidence that can allow for at best partially serious Milk Wars profiles, at least that's what I think.

The Stuff
So, the stuff mostly focuses on the character Ahl, who appears in Doom Patrol as a mostly posthumous figure, known as "The God of Superheroes". Basically, he is an inhabitant of Final Heaven, a perfect, archetypal world of concepts and ideas which exists outside of all Reality and Fiction, in the outer ring of existence. In Doom Patrol, he is in fact said to be an entity created by the Retconn Corps themselves, who ruled over them and stood as the Lord of all Real and Imaginary, before he was killed after the Disappointment bashed his brains in with a brick.

The fact of the matter is that Ahl in fact appeared as a major character towards the last issues of Justice League of America. Much like in Milk Wars, he is presented as a divine being from Final Heaven who descended upon the Earth in Mount Justice, Happy Harbor, leaving in it an imprint of his existence from which the very idea of Superheroes flourished upon the world.

It should be noted that Ahl's first appearance as a character (alongside Retconn itself) was in Doom Patrol (Volume Six) #1, released in November 2016, while the last three issues of JLA in which he appeared were released in May 2018, and the first issue of Milk Wars, on the other hand, was released in March of the same year, so it's certainly not a case of the character having debuted in a "normal" storyline and then having been used in Milk Wars, far from it.

I should also note that the same JLA storyline Ahl appears in also references the events of Metal and the Dark Multiverse, as you can see here by scrolling down a bit, should be pretty easy to find.

Now, if you read both Doom Patrol and this JLA storyline, you may know that Ahl seems to have conflicting portrayals in both stories. Mainly the fact that in JLA, after his death by Chronos' hands, all Superheroes would simply cease to exist, with the only thing keeping them alive being 4-dimensional energy coming from the same place where he left his imprint on the Earth. Meanwhile, in Doom Patrol, he gets killed by the Dissapointment and pretty much nothing happens.

This can be explained by the fact that, when the Justice League confronted Chronos' forces (which had Ahl in captivity at the time), they were in the dawn of time, an unimaginably far past when Ahl was still a new, young concept, as he himself states, likely because Retconn had just created him out of old comic book stories.

Meanwhile, in Doom Patrol and Milk Wars, Ahl likely was a much "older" idea (I use quotations because Time doesn't really apply to Final Heaven), with one of the Retconn Workers stating that by this point, there was already quite a vast amount of mathematical formulas and blueprints branching off of Ahl's existence, each corresponding to a Superhero and existing as an independent permutation of the concept embodied by him.

That is not to say the existence of Retconn Corps isn't quite wonky itself, since they are implied to have created the whole DC Continuity, and directly stated to be its owners. Hence why I said that Milk Wars profiles should be at best partially serious. How they scale in relation to the Monitor-Mind? It's tricky to say, but in the final issue of Milk Wars, one of the employees pulls out a reality nuke which gradually erases the entire continuity, including the Final Heaven itself, which was being burned away alongside everything else.

Considering that Milkman Man states that everything is "going blank page" as a result of Retconn's destruction of reality, I am inclined to say that they are still part of the overarching blank canvas, though maybe in a higher layer of it (If that makes sense), since the Doom Patrol actually seems to have broken through the white page to enter the Final Heaven in their storyline (Scroll down to the last 4-3 pages of the story)

There is also the fact that the Eonymous, cosmic gods who see even the Final Heaven as fiction broadcasted to them through a TV, also seem to exist in a blank void of nothingness themselves. In fact, after literally becoming Jesus and expanding to encompass all of existence, uniting herself with the canvas in the process, Rita Farr saw the realm of the Eonymous, indicating that even they are still part of the Overvoid.

Now, I haven't read Animal Man, so how do they fit in with the Writer's existence is beyond me.

Also Superman gains Resistance to 1-A Conceptual Manipulation maybe, as shown in the scan above. so yea.

Doesn't Eternity Girl also continue from the events of Milk Wars as well? I remember you telling me something like that on Discord.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Doesn't Eternity Girl also continue from the events of Milk Wars as well? I remember you telling me something like that on Discord.
Indeed it does.

Superman also survived inside the Source Wall without losing his individuality and dissolving, because he is necessary to the functioning of existence (Not literally speaking, but as a concept).

Matthew Schroeder said:
Superman also survived inside the Source Wall without losing his individuality and dissolving, because he is necessary to the functioning of existence (Not literally speaking, but as a concept).
Oh? Scans of that? for personal research ovo

actually that seems pretty cool

another thread though

anyways I'm not even that much of a DC fan so I can't be opposed or supportive of milk wars here

DMUA said:
>Superman resists 1-A conceptual manipulation
O H O K A Y T H A N
This is because Superman is the metaphysical anchor of the DC Multiverse, so to speak. Dr. Manhattan also noticed that through his observations on the nature of the Multiverse, he realized how everything seemed centered on Superman and he couldn't understand how that could be. But really, it is obvious. Superman is the archetypal hero and the first superhero when we stop to consider DC as fiction, and this is reflected inside the DC Universe.

Is the Thought Robot, the primal representation of absolute good to oppose Mandrakk's evil, the idea of hope and heroism, designed to defend existence against the ultimate threat... Not shaped like Superman? And wasn't Superman's spirit the only thing that could operate it?

This is sounding a lot like a post from a few years ago talking about how Superman being an embodiment of hope and justice was canon in DC like in real life.

So, at the end of Milk Wars, Flex Mentallo uses a secret power of Muscle Mystery in conjunction with [idontremember] to prevent the continuity from being erased by Retconn's reality nuke, and its effect is basically compared to a defibrillator which gave reality the shock it needed to repair itself. This results in all of DC being completely rebooted, with everyone forgetting that Milk Wars ever happened.

How do we treat that?

And yet, he's still weaker than a green rock. Profile for a Tier 0 green rock/Kryptonite

Anyway here is the context of how Superman survives inside The Source:

Well you already know I dig your profile drafts. So I'm all for it if you want to add this stuff to the wiki.

There's a rather impressive 1-A scaling chain to work out between this stuff and whenever the Endless get revised.

Jesus christ that hax upgrade for Supes is ridiculous.

Also wait... are you telling me the coffee stain is the canonical version of the flaw that was mentioned in DC ?! Are.... You ... FREAKING KIDDING ME !!

... Sorry. Anyways it seems agreeable on my end.

Ultima Reality said:
So, at the end of Milk Wars, Flex Mentallo uses a secret power of Muscle Mystery in conjunction with [idontremember] to prevent the continuity from being erased by Retconn's reality nuke, and its effect is basically compare to a defibrilator which gave reality the shock it needed to repair itself. This results in all of DC being completely rebooted, with everyone forgetting that Milk Wars ever happened.
How do we treat that?
I plan to read Flex Mentallo in the near future because his profile ******* sucks. "The World" as referred to in his miniseries is the comicbook itself as fiction, and when Flex defeats his own creator (i.e, the writer who created him) and stops the world from collapsing, he's stoping the comics from ceasing to be.

Flex Mentallo in general is essentially Grant Morrison's manifesto about the nature of Comicbooks and their history, and how they ought to be and why their existence is justified. Each of the four issues is modeled after an Age of Comics (Gold, Silver, Bronze and Dark Ages respectively), with the character behind the creation of Flex Mentallo being a stand-in for Grant himself and the struggles he went through as a youth, and his journey to come to terms with the nature of comicbooks. He's basically arguing that Comics exist without the need of their writers and creators, and as stories that amaze, inspire and outlive us, comic book characters aren't just as real as us, but moreso.

But yeah disregarding the metaphors behind the story 5-B Flex Mentallo is a joke. He might be anything from Low 2-C to 1-B when it's all said and done.

Yobo Blue said:
That doesn't seem applicable if the Source was the reaso
I mean, probably? But it's just like when The Spectre couldn't kill Darkseid because "Higher Forces" deemed him necessary to existence.

It's not applicable in a Vs Debate battle, I agree, but it's something to consider within the confines of the fiction.

I mean with shit like Reinhard's 1-A immortality through Mercurius and the like I don't see how this wouldn't be applicable in similar ways, even the Darkseid reference Matt just made.

I mean we've given people hax based off someone else being the supplier of said resistance for that character [ AHEM Cain ] ... So I don't think it's that far off.

Would Milk Wars affect Vertigo's definition of destroying the Universe , maybe the Void, or ?

This seems to be a thorough analysis, but I am not sure what we should do with the information, including how to make it fit properly with the powerscaling structure of the rest of the DC Comics continuity.

I don't think it's meant to fit really because the whole storyline is a huge joke. But the events of the story clearly happened and their characters do exist which creates a problem.

I'm personally fine with Milk Wars profiles but I am not really that fine with applying it to the rest of DC and try to mish mash the cosmologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back