• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Small addition to the profile of Gojo Satoru

It doesn't seem like it is actually confirmed to be tachyons, right? Not is there any mention in the manga itself about being Faster Than Light.

I'm not an expert on the Jujutsu Kaisen verse, but I don't think we can say it is definitely FTL based on the mention of "imaginary mass" alone.

Hey, but the tachyon field is just a field with imaginary mass and you don't need to mention in the manga that this is faster than light, this is his skill and she has such speed.

I don't really see a lot of problems with FTL speed. Characters like Toji, who is at least MHS+, are not able to react to the technique even when they are far away, everyone who tried to deviate from the technique was hit. It may not be FTL, but faster than conventional is obvious

It says its because he blitzed Ino and it scales to Ino's black flash perception. But then we would have to assume that the Black Flash speed is their normal reaction speed. Also, wasn't the Black Flash calc Sub rel or something?

I personally have no issue with it.
The science makes sense. It creates imaginary mass, then shoots it forward. That simple.

I've never heard that it needs to be explicitly called something for it to qualify for it.

Absolutely nobody scales to it, not even Gojo himself, it's only his attack speed.

No. Purple is stated to create "imaginary mass", and a tachyonic field is stated to consist of "imaginary mass", but without any evidence that Purple's IM and a tachyonic field's IM are one in the same, you can't prove that Purple is faster-than-light; It's a false equivalency.

The only reason tachyons are even considered "imaginary mass" is because they aren't real mass, which is noted in the first citation.

EDIT: Checked the original Japanese version. It uses the words "仮想 の 質量 を" which translates to "virtual mass".

Last edited:
No. Purple is stated to create "imaginary mass", and a tachyonic field is stated to consist of "imaginary mass", but without any evidence that Purple's IM and a tachyonic field's IM are one in the same, you can't prove that Purple is faster-than-light; It's a false equivalency.

The only reason tachyons are even considered "imaginary mass" is because they aren't real mass, which is noted in the first citation.
Can you show me then that there are other fields of '' imaginary masses '' apart from the tachyon field?

What I'm seeing in the link that the OP mentioned, the definition of Tachyon is "a field with an imaginary mass".
It's not like how a grape is a fruit and it falls under the branch of fruits. Tachyon is the overall branch of Imaginary mass.

I googled "types of imaginary mass", and all that came up was Tachyons. Do the same.

So if we want to get technical
I can argue every character with Nonexistent Physiology is FTL.
You could do this if it falls under imaginary mass.
Fyi, I just went to the profiles shown on the Nonexistent Physiology page and if they're not Omnipresent or immeasurable, they're at least FTL. So you wouldn't need to argue that since half of them already have them.

P.S. Hollow Purple works on an atomic level. I know Atoms and Particles are different, but my point is self explainable.

Purple is stated to create "imaginary mass", and a tachyonic field is stated to consist of "imaginary mass", but without any evidence that Purple's IM and a tachyonic field's IM are one in the same, you can't prove that Purple is faster-than-light; It's a false equivalency.
You would need to prove that the imaginary mass is different, since by definition, it fits.

Definitely not FTL. This runs into similar issues as KE, creation, etc. Unless the author states that the mass of these things is related to speed it wouldn't apply.

Just cus you can dig up some concept in physics that says that imaginary mass is FTL doesn't mean the author actually knew any of this, leading to stat inflation. Back to the argument we've always made for these kind of things "These people are writers not scientists, don't just expect them to know every nook and cranny of physics when trying to apply things like this". The same reason why we don't scale AP from speed and vice versa among other "denied even though physics says so" cases we have on the site.

Actually, Gege is an exception, as he consistently references physics, math, imaginary numbers, etc.

Gojo’s power is based of an finite set count of convergent and divergent number sequences, leading up to infinity. In layman’s terms, Zeno’s Paradox, Achilles & the Tortoise.

Not sure what the stance is currently is on the matter but if it is accepted as FTL, it wouldn't scale anyone as no one has every reacted or dodged Purple thus far in the series.

I'm not very familiar with the verse, so I don't think I can make a conclusive decision for this feat.

Part of the issue is that I don't think we have any accepted standards for what constitutes as a Tachyon / imaginary mass / FTL feat, and what requirements are for it.

Doesn't serve as justification for FTL speed.
The reasoning commits to a faulty generalization. The fact that one sample of things with imaginary mass, namely Tachyons, is FTL doesn't imply that the whole set of things with imaginary mass is FTL.
(Especially not in fiction...)

Okay. Thank you. This seems to have been rejected then.

Should I close this thread?

Back