• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Skyscraper DC?

So I was using looking up the minimal energy needed to level a skyscraper, I did some research and the term skyscraper is rather fluid over the years as it refers to very tall buildings, it was first coined around the 1880s, where as the first building to be called a Skyscraper is the Home Insurance Building, and for any building referred to as Skyscrapers over the years have increased in size.

so I did a bit of research that the building has 12 floors (54.9 meters), a width of 30.12 meters and a Length of 38.02 meters.

So I found that the volume of the building is 62869.41576 m^3 = 62869415760 cm^3

and on the wikipedia page, it weighed only one-third as much as a masonry building would have, so I have to multiply the volume by density (2100 kg/m^3) and I get 132026000 kg.

Then I multiply it by (1/3) which is 44008666.6667 kg.

then I would do a reverse which I find the volume to be 20956500000 cm^3

Then I would us the lowest end for hollowness (90%) and multiply it by 69 j/cc (fragmentation), and the result I found is 144599850000 Joules (City Block).

Would this be a good low end for destroying real world skyscrapers?

here is the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Insurance_Building

You should ask some calc group members to comment here.

Not quite sure what weigh is usefull for since frag is J/cc. Shouldn't you be able to just take the volume, account for the hollowness and just use that for frag?

100 Megaton Tsar Bomba said:
Not quite sure what weigh is usefull for since frag is J/cc. Shouldn't you be able to just take the volume, account for the hollowness and just use that for frag?
It is a way of getting the best estimated volume to do the calc for frag, I was just following the info on the HIB page

But Wikipedia says it weighs a third of a masonry building that unlike a skyscrapers is made out of bricks not steel? Also that was at construction and two more floors were added in post?

Back