• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Servants, Summon Rules and Standard Battle Assumptions

Lately, something has been bugging me about how servants from Fate/ are handled. The masters are completely ignored. In-universe, a servant generally has a master (the summoner), and cannot survive without them or another supply of mana. The maintenance also has a range limit, so we can't put them in another solar system. Without it, servant's get erased by the earth (exceptions exist, but most will eventually succumb to it). Saber (Fate/stay night) even has keys based on who her current master is.

Of course, technically the world erasing them could be considered outside help for the opponent, but that line of reasoning also... affects things.

The complicated part...

How Servant-Master relation works isn't even consistent.

Most of the times, in Holy Grail Wars, they are like what you described, reliant on Mana from their Master. (Most of the times, some gave 0 f*cks to it with Independent Action)

In Extraverse, they are still reliant, but not on their Master's Mana, but their Master's life itself.

In FGO, I recall they work kinda like normal Grail Wars, but they also use Mana from Chaldea's reserves. But there are also other times the Holy Grail just summons the Servant on its own.

So I guess we gotta pick 1 standard Type of relationship to use?

Diinou HotHead said:
The complicated part...
How Servant-Master relation works isn't even consistent.

Most of the times, in Holy Grail Wars, they are like what you described, reliant on Mana from their Master. (Most of the times, some gave 0 f*cks to it with Independent Action)

In Extraverse, they are still reliant, but not on their Master's Mana, but their Master's life itself.

In FGO, I recall they work kinda like normal Grail Wars, but they also use Mana from Chaldea's reserves. But there are also other times the Holy Grail just summons the Servant on its own.

So I guess we gotta pick 1 standard Type of relationship to use?
Shouldn't it be dependent on what verse the servant is taken? Example if we have a servant from FGO, then we use its rules, if it's from extra we use its rules.

The thing is though

Servants wouldn't really need mana from a master in a versus match cause The World doesn't exist outside of the Nasuverse, so nothing is trying to get rid of them, so they don't need a contract or supply of mana to fight against that and stay manifested

In addition, they can also just do what Medea does, and consume souls even if their master can't provide energy, on a full tank, a servant can last roughly 48 hours without their master giving mana

Also I just recalled Ritsuka maintaining his contract with his other Servants, despite him going into Singularities.

I think there are other instances of Masters and Servants being worlds apart, yet the Servant's contract wasn't cut off.

Not gonna say much, but I do still think explaining how it works with Verse equalization is a good thing.

Paul Frank said:
The thing is though

Servants wouldn't really need mana from a master in a versus match cause The World doesn't exist outside of the Nasuverse, so nothing is trying to get rid of them, so they don't need a contract or supply of mana to fight against that and stay manifested
As I said at the top, even if they were in Nausuverse, Gaia erasing them is outside intervention.

I guess it's best if Ritsuka is the standard master of all servants fight yeah? Also he has the most consistent stats with the servants under contract with him.

AshenCrow777 said:
I guess it's best if Ritsuka is the standard master of all servants fight yeah? Also he has the most consistent stats with the servants under contract with him.
Not for when he has Gil's Magic Resistance down to Kirei's E Rank. When Gil's supposed to have C Rank MR

Masterless Servant are a thing in FGO tho, they just have a definite stamina. Even in F/Zero, Iskandar (and maybe Gilgamesh) can do their life without the mana supply.

Apeironaxim said:
i always thought they were just given enough mana to properly fight and do their stuff, no masters present for vs threads
But not all servants have that luxury at any point. Also, that would probably result in completely different tactics than they usually show, at least for some of them.

There's also the fact that, as I've brought up before, Servants are differing levels of power depending on who their current Master is. E.g. Saber under Shirou being very toned down, but becoming absurdly powerful when summoned by the Moon Cell

Paul Frank said:
The thing is though

Does that apply to magecraft in general?

Back