• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Separation of Pokémon Profiles/Issues with Pokémon Double Standards

Don't think so yet. We try and keep verse specific highlights to a minimum and its not like regular users are causing trouvle here.

Wokistan said:
Also, let's remember the concept of an outlier still exists here. If we were to composite we would jusy throw out tier 2 grovile for outlier.
Hence why PMD Grovyle has his own profile. Because the feats are consistent with just him as a lone entity in his game. Similarly to how High 6-A Wigglytuff is a thing due to scaling to feats that is far beyond the normal of its species.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I kinda assumed that we treated the PMD characters similar to how we treat other RPG characters and as such their feats are their own.

I figured that was the case as well. But according to Yobo, PMD profiles need to be removed for some reason since Grovyle needs to be composited.

Or not. Again, I'm seriously confused at what the endgame is here. Because it seems the goal of this thread is to separate all the profiles from themselves, but keep them composited at the same time. Especially since, as has been stated on this very thread, this would lead to a lot of redundant profiles that really should not exist.

Pokemon has worked just fine as composites up until this point, and I don't see any reason why we should suddenly separate everyone into different continuities, as that's literally the whole point of compositing them in the first place.

As for the specific issues brought up by Yobo, aside from the PMD profiles I mentioned already, the Detective Pikachu profiles should probably go like Kukui said, and the Trainer profiles are a whole mess in and of themselves, and deserve a CRT on their own. As for any exclusive moves and abilities found in different spinoffs and mediums, as is the nature of composition, they should be added to the appropriate profiles, though under specific headings that state where said abilities and moves originate from.

To be frank, this all feels like an appeal to traditio, since the main arguments being made here is saying that, just because it's used everywhere else, it should apply here, even though Pokemon is dealing with specific circumstances that make separation of the composite profiles quite unneeded.

I'm not sure what makes you think I believe they should be composited. Also, no, I'm not appealing to tradition, I'm pointing out a blatant double standard. The fact is, even assuming Pokémon is so different (which it isn't) it has self contained double standards which should be addressed.

As you state, these "double standards" all refer to Pokemon that are confirmed to be separate characters all their own, standing alone from the rest of their species due to extraordinary feats. A prime example for this is Pikachu (Anime), who has battled fully-evolved Pokemon and defeated them handily, and has even battled against Legendary Pokemon and managed to hold his own against them, putting him way higher than other Pikachu at this stage. And one of your biggest issues with this, the Detective Pikachu Pokemon, I have already agreed on that they should go, as, yes, they fall strictly within canon, and really shouldn't have separate profiles like they do aside from asthetics.

Anything else is speaking to the species of the Pokemon as a whole, and much like other profiles that are composited due to the fact that they represent the prime of their appropriate species, such as from The Real World, they should be composited in a similar manner. And aside from a few minor differences between mediums, they are universally the same throughout the entirety of the franchise. So, again, where's the need to have them separate from each other?

I guess I am still not understanding what exactly the "double standard" we are debating here so I can't properly give input.

Back