• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Scaling Dormammu?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
We have a bit of a problem with Marvel's ridiculous levels of inconsistency again.

Within the 2005 Defenders series by J.M. DeMatteis and Keith Giffen, there is a scene in which Dormammu and Umar defeat what appears to be Multi-Eternity (although it was never explicitly called this name), and then recreate all universes in Dormammu's hellish image.

Currently we rate Dormammu as "At least 2-A at his peak" because of this feat. The "at least" part comes from that the Faltine, Dormammu's species, have also been stated to be higher-dimensional lifeforms of unknown extent; and the "at his peak" part comes from that Dormammu has also been portrayed as possible to harm for street level characters such as Cyclops and Frankenstein's Monster in other stories.

The main issue is whether we should scale Dormammu to 1-B, the assumed maximum number of dimensions for Multi-Eternity, or just go by his feat of rewriting all universes within this story?

We do not know exactly how powerful Multi-Eternity was presented within this story, but there was a mention of "worlds within worlds" and "dimensions folding into themselves" when Dormammu entered his body.

The other issue is that the area in which they fought was stated to be beyond all time and space, although rating an embodiment of time and space as beyond all time and space, along with two repeatedly established higher-dimensional entities, does not seem to make any sense, and be more of Marvel's unbelievably contradictory nature.

Hence, I suppose that we could simply consider it as a very extreme inconsistency and outlier, or that the characters were present within an area that vastly exceeded themselves.

Not to mention, that othervise the Hulk and Doctor Strange were later successfully inconveniencing a 1-A level entity within the same story. Inconveniencing a 2-A or 1-B would be hard enough to swallow.

Yes, this was by far his most impressive showing.

I feel like "At least Low 2-C, possibly 2-A at his peak" would be best.

Well, he did recreate all universes, so that should be a legitimate 2-A at his peak.

Possibly due to inconsistency, not uncertainty.

Yes, he is one of the most inconsistent characters in the entire Marvel roster, and that is saying something.

Anyway, I suppose that "Usually Low 2-C. Likely 2-A at his peak" might be an idea?

Antvasima said:
Anyway, I suppose that "Usually Low 2-C. Likely 2-A at his peak" might be an idea?
This sounds about right.

Is there anyone we are currently scaling to him?

I adjusted the page to "Usually Low 2-C. At least 2-A at his peak" for the moment.

No, we do not scale anybody to him.

Well, I would prefer some more feedback first.

Well, the only other thing I can comment on is that Dormammu being Low 2-C to 2-A doesn't contradict him being called higher-dimensional, that'd just make him 4-dimensional, which is still higher-dimensional.

That is possible, as he was previously beaten by universal Eternity. Beating Multiversal Eternity is inconsistent even by Marvel standards. Regardless, he supposedly did rewrite the entire Marvel multiverse in his own image,

No, he used Multi-Eternity's power to rewrite the multiverse.

Hmm. Within the story itself, he said that he recreated all universes in his own image.

Back