• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rule Against Verses With Slurs In Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also an offensive context to humiliate someone for their past

We don't have little blurbs to instruct people on the context at its very mention

I'm a Thread Mod, years of experience at this point, and let me tell you, forums have the most regressive unfunny sense of humor sometimes.

That literally got deleted after a debate across 4 threads.

**** isn't a slur. Don't ignore weight of the word in question.

Wiki is 10% " respected users" only, let's get honest here.

• True, but the context makes it clear that it's not meant to degrade black people. Any google search about the show makes it clear it's not offensive. Plus, we could make it Ningen which is how it's titled on Amazon.
  • That hentai verse got deleted due to staff having a problem with it's content and fear of damage to the wiki, not because users were causing problems with the profiles. The general public treated the verse normally until it's deletion. Dog Ningen is an edgy action series.
  • Okay fine, **** is different than the N-Word.
  • Yes, but however, the FANDOM system helps prevent any trolls. And if we want to prevent vandalism, we can just lock the pages.

The title “Dog N****” is very obviously meant to be incredulously, and the subject matter in the story despite touching up on important subjects is obviously meant to be inflammatory in nature.

The title “Dog N****” is very obviously meant to be incredulously, and the subject matter in the story despite touching up on important subjects is obviously meant to be inflammatory in nature.
The "joke" of Dog Ningen is that despite the title and wacky premise is that, barring some silly powers, it actually takes itself very seriously. The joke is that there is no joke.

Yeah, but that still doesnt discard the fact its obviously inflammatory in nature. For christ sakes he talks about raping his own father, the fact his mother got a train ran on her by a bunch of dogs, and that his father raped a dog as possible origin stories.

Stop ignoring the point it is very clearly inflammatory.

Yeah, but that still doesnt discard the fact its obviously inflammatory in nature. For christ sakes he talks about raping his own father, the fact his mother got a train ran on her by a bunch of dogs, and that his father raped a dog as possible origin stories.

Who cares if it's edgy we have pages for South Park and Filthy Frank. Be an adult.

Also DHAnimations has spoken about the premise of the series and how originally he was just writing whatever as a joke, but after the series actually began to develop, specially with the new artwork, he started to take it more seriously and he took it in a different direction.

Ok but we have so many verses that feature content of that nature.

Who cares if it's edgy we have pages for South Park and Filthy Frank. Be an adult.
Jit your entire statement was the title was not meant to be inflammatory \ offensive and now you completely shift your point to "it's meant to be edgy grow up". Jesus Christ you must be exhausting to be around.

Jit your entire statement was the title was not meant to be inflammatory \ offensive and now you completely shift your point to "it's meant to be edgy grow up". Jesus Christ you must be exhausting to be around.
I didn't contradict myself. I don't believe the title is meant to be inflammatory. I don't believe the content is either. Edgy and Inflammatory are differen't things. Yeah the content is intended to shock but I don't believe the title is necessarily bad.

I didn't contradict myself. I don't believe the title is meant to be inflammatory. I don't believe the content is either. Edgy and Inflammatory are differen't things. Yeah the content is intended to shock but I don't believe the title is necessarily bad.
the very comparison you posited of Family Guy and South Park are both shows which are meant to be inflammatory by their creators own volition. Whilst this has gone onto subjective territory i know for a fact the creators of South Park had the intention of being inflammatory in their messages based of my own knowledge.
I mean, you're examples of it's unsuitability were about the content of the verse, less the title
Its to paint a picture. Show the story and you can see the intention.

the very comparison you posited of Family Guy and South Park are both shows which are meant to be inflammatory by their creators own volition
I used those examples to point out that content being edgy does not make it unallowed on the wiki.

In either way this is derailing the thread.

It also indirectly showed that you saw the edginess as comparable but i digress. Its up to how we view using alternative names in the end.

If only the test case for this had been "[redacted] From Space".....this would be a much more clear cut decision.

I'll be perfectly honest, I have no idea why we can't accept Dog Ningen as a title here.

I tend to be supportive of pages existing most of the time for one reason or another, and if the main title is a blatant violation of FANDOM's ToS, then I don't see how replacing that word with Ningen damns it no matter which way you look at it.

Like, can't we just say somewhere that saying the original "Dog N****" title is a big no-no on the wiki and forum, and punishments will be dealt to anyone who uses that title instead of the better SFW version of it? I am genuinely confused how we can't do this if the option is available.

I'll be perfectly honest, I have no idea why we can't accept Dog Ningen as a title here.

I tend to be supportive of pages existing most of the time for one reason or another, and if the main title is a blatant violation of FANDOM's ToS, then I don't see how replacing that word with Ningen damns it no matter which way you look at it.

Like, can't we just say somewhere that saying the original "Dog N****" title is a big no-no on the wiki and forum, and punishments will be dealt to anyone who uses that title instead of the better SFW version of it? I am genuinely confused how we can't do this if the option is available.
Heck, we just started using a mature content template, why can't we use it for Dog Ningen to advise users???

Now that there's been a decent amount of input, I'll start maintaining a tally.

If you want to be added to this tally, or have your listed position changed, you can leave a message on my message wall or DM me, to avoid clogging up the thread.

Agree with original rule: 6 (4 staff), (@Jibz, @Antvasima, @Mr. Undetected, @DarkDragonMedeus, @The_Impress, @Mr._Bambu)

Some verses should be able to circumvent it: 1 (1 staff), (@SamanPatou)

Just use alternate names: 11 (4 staff), (@KingTempest, @Agnaa, @KatBoi69, @Damage3245, @RethPo, @Starter_Pack, @Matthew_Schroeder, @I'm_Blue_daba_dee_daba_die, @Therefir, @Mariogoods, @DaReaperMan)

Use alternate names if the verse provides them: 2 (1 staff), (@KingTempest, @DaReaperMan)​
Use alternate names, if the verse doesn't provide them, make one up: 2 (0 staff), (@Agnaa, @KatBoi69)​

Last edited:

Agree with original rule: 6 (4 staff), (@Jibz, @Antvasima, @Mr. Undetected, @DarkDragonMedeus, @The_Impress, @Mr._Bambu)

Just use alternate names: 9 (4 staff), (@KingTempest, @Agnaa, @KatBoi69, @Damage3245, @RethPo, @Starter_Pack, @Matthew_Schroeder, @I'm_Blue_daba_dee_daba_die, @Therefir)
While I don't want to engage in this heated debate for some reasons, I agree with the usage of alternative name if the original name is deemed offensive. Also, I have found that the alternative name is already used in a FANDOM wiki (Heroes Wiki) with the latest edit being made in 2022.

Personally, I feel that if we can use an alternative name which is "less offensive" (The reason why I use the double quotation mark is because I have been dealing with verses which are from regions which have alternative standards of "offensive".), we can use it without problem.

Last edited:

Just use alternate names: 10 (4 staff), (@KingTempest, @Agnaa, @KatBoi69, @Damage3245, @RethPo, @Starter_Pack, @Matthew_Schroeder, @I'm_Blue_daba_dee_daba_die, @Therefir, @Mariogoods)
Yeah, personally I agree with using an official alternative name if it happens to exist and such

That makes me realise that I didn't distinguish between "Use an alternative name if it happens to exist" and "Use an alternate name no matter what; if it doesn't exist, create one."

That makes me realise that I didn't distinguish between "Use an alternative name if it happens to exist" and "Use an alternate name no matter what; if it doesn't exist, create one."
Yeah, that clarification should probably be made, I am 100% for the former and leaning towards disagreeing for the ladder

Yeah Dog Ningen is written and drawn by two black american dudes and the story touches on themes of racism among other things. The original title isn't meant to be offensive.
Oh. I thought that it was some racist Japanese person throwing the n-word around gratuitiously.

Well, I suppose that we might be able to use the title that does not contain the n-word then.

Eww. That does sound really bad, yes.

I suppose that can work given that Matthew revealed that it is two African-Americans who created the series.

Well, "Being super edgy" is admittedly a terrible reason to delete verses. Though most of those Adult Swim cartoons were more so meant to be satirical in nature. And it's content is usually bad enough for TV-14 ratings or movies and video games being only bad enough for R-rating and M-rating respectively. Our policy if it's TV-MA ratings are admittedly inconsistent, but for movies it's NV-17 (Formerly X-rating by MPAA) or AO-ratings by ESRB is where it basically crosses the line of being too NSFW to be featured on the wiki.

But anyway, Impress is the one who brought up a good point that changing the name still sounds like a petty work around. So I'd like to hear from her or Bambu in case they change their mind. Plus some other details I brought up as well as things Jibs mentioned; comics don't really have official age rating systems to my knowledge, but it should depend on whether it's bad enough for the 17+ or 18+ (Which sounds like small gap on paper, but this is just how American Content Warning policies work)

I am perfectly fine with the verse being added, i just disliked the notion that the name of the verse wasnt created to spark outcry. Just have a sutiable warning over the content.

Been busy with exams and whatnot, I'll be more free to debate the day after tomorrow.

I still retain the opinion it is just as offensive just working around the word when said workaround is so damn lazy it is LITERALLY a two letter change, especially when unless you're vary, "n" and "r" look the same when skimming through, except now you look like you're working around a slur filter to say the thing, which you yourself should recognise how pathetic that is. I don't think the warning does anything since it's in the page's name.

I don't think black people making the verse matters, they're not on the forum saying the word, you're saying the word, nobody walks around with context of the pertinent information that "the slur I am saying is in context to the obscure indie comic that also contains it and don't worry it's fine it was also written by a black person", the nine million times you'd have to explain that.

In regards to the vileness of other media, is said vileness apparent from just turning up on your search results? In your category views? Is said vileness inescapable to mention on the forum as soon as you refer to the verse? This has to be the stupidest point to bring up, how do you get a blindspot to this degree?

Also I don't have an issue with just using alternate names, I have an issue with using alternate names that are LITERALLY JUST THE ORIGINAL NAME with the most minor letterswaps, nobody's 5 and getting fooled by that.

Don't think any precedent from this will be rigid from this anyway.

Hmm. Those are valid points. Should I ask the Fandom staff what their policy is regarding this?

I've seen sites lose external funding just for allowing the censored word. Patreon for example.

I have now asked Fandom's staff regarding the issue, including by linking them to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back