• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Round 1 of the 9-C Tournament! Eight(Dragon Quest) vs Captain Alex!

you mean like the 2 things Alex actaully has an advantage in?(I mean not expierience but you get the point.)

I mean you can’t exactly heal yourself when you are being viciously shot at, with a gun. How good even is that healing?

Eight lacks ranged weapons and is likely outskilled.

Well, their distance is 5 meters, Eight has a range of several meters thus at least 3 meters so we'll go with 3 meters for teleportation which would help him cover the distance in 2 uses.

While Alex may be more skilled and has a pistol, Eight had more abilities such as energy manip, air manip, fire manip, shockwaves from attacks I assume, light, earth, and lightning magic which should give a better variety of combinations he could do in a fight.

Basically martial artist with a gun vs a swordsman with elemental magic and some other spells. I lean toward Eight.

i mean, what kind of pistol we talkin for Alex, as most pistols have a magazine anywhere from 6-10, which due to piercing damage one shot can be fatal if put in the right place, IE: lungs, heart, head, etc. the time it takes to put another magazine for the average human is 1-3 seconds, 1/2 of a second or faster for putting one directly into the chamber, how fast can Eight teleport? and how in-character is it to do so?

Last edited:
I don't know - have no knowledge of Eight. I just made my decision based on their profiles.

That's beginning of the game Eight, does he, at that point of the story, have all the abilities listed?

they probably stay the same, heres off of the profile.
Notable Attacks/Techniques:

• Normal spells and abilities
    • Heal:Restores a small chunk of his health.
      • Midheal: Restores a sizable chunk of his health.
      • Fullheal: Restores all of his health.
    • Squelch: Removes poisons from his body.
    • Kasizzle: Immolates a group of enemies with a wave of ferocious hellfire.
    • Zing Casts a resurrecting spell with a 50/50 chance of actually reviving someone.
    • Zoom: The Hero warps himself to a location he's visited before, but doing so indoors while cause him to hit his head on the ceiling.
    • Dragon Soul: Summons a powerful surge of energy in the shape of a dragon which does gigantic damage to Dragons.
    • Gigaslash:The penultimate sword technique, in which the Hero charges his blade with light energy, greatly extending its range before unleashing a massive swipe that strikes all foes in range.
      • Gigagash: The ultimate sword technique, the Hero charges up energy to form two light energy blades to slash all enemies in range.
    • Sword Abilities
    • Dragon Slash: A special sword swing that does heavy damage to dragons.
    • Flame Slash: Imbues a melee strike with the power of flames, altering the damage dealt by the targets tolerance of the element.
    • Metal Slash: A sword swing that deals additional damage to foes as tough as Metal Slimes.
    • Miracle Slash: A special sword technique that heals the Hero based on how much damage he deals with it.
    • Gigaslash:The penultimate sword technique, in which the Hero charges his blade with light energy, greatly extending its range before unleashing a massive swipe that strikes all foes in range.
      • Gigagash: The ultimate sword technique, the Hero charges up energy to form two light energy blades to slash all enemies in range.
  • Boomerang Abilities
    • Crosscutter Throw: Hits the first enemy again after going through all the others.
    • Power Throw:Throws his boomerang so that the damage output is reduced slightly, but damages all targets equally.
      • Super Throw: An upgraded version.
    • Firebird Throw: Transforms the boomerang into a firebird that incinerates enemies.
    • Starburst Throw: Rains arrows of light on to the enemy.
    • Gigathrow: Pulverises a single enemy with the force of a thunderbolt.
  • Spear Abilities
    • Mercurial Thrust: A lightning-fast thrust.
    • Thunder Thrust:Attempts to launch an all-or-nothing critical strike.
      • Lightning Thrust: More powerful version of Thunder Thrust.
    • Lightning Storm: Strikes down all enemies with mighty thunderbolts.
  • Fistcuff Abilities
    • Defending Champion: A defensive ability that greatly reduces the damage inflicted by physical attacks.
    • Stones Throw: Hurls rocks at a single group of enemies.
    • Knuckle Sandwich: A powerfully focused and damage bare-fisted strike.
    • Thin Air: Strikes all enemies with a chi shockwave.
    • Multifists: The hero throws four strikes at random targets for 50% damage per hit. Somewhat unwieldy for group encounters, the skill is marvelous against single targets.
  • Boulder Toss: Showers all enemies with enormous boulders.

Not necessarily, because an early game rpg character usually doesn't have all the equipments and spells it has at the end of the game, and that makes a huge difference in this match.

Most of the DQ profiles are a bit dated and not very organized, I'm planning on correcting that eventually. I haven't played DQ VIII yet so I can't tell you what early game Eight can do, just that he doesn't have everything that the profile shows in the first key.

Last edited:
Most of the DQ profiles are a bit dated and not very organized, I'm planning on correcting that eventually. I haven't played DQ VIII yet so I can't tell you what early game Eight can do, just that he doesn't have everything that the shows in the first key.
Helpful. I looked it up and teleportation isn't combat acclible, and even it was it shouldn't be on the profile.

Hmmm so with Eight powerset being uncertain. I’ll vote for Alex for now since for all we know he might not have the firepower to deal with Alex barrage.

Eight has long range in the beginning of the game with boomerangs, so that advantage for Alex is moot. Eight also has healing, some attack magic, and skills at the beginning as well depending on what skills trees are used and weapons trained with. Alex is 9-C with weapons, Eight is atleast 9-C. Comparable AP but Eight has Street durability vs Alex's Athlete durability. Plus a possible vastly larger amount of versatility. Eight wins here.

Eight has long range in the beginning of the game with boomerangs, so that advantage for Alex is moot. Eight also has healing, some attack magic, and skills at the beginning as well depending on what skills trees are used and weapons trained with. Alex is 9-C with weapons, Eight is atleast 9-C. Comparable AP but Eight has Street durability vs Alex's Athlete durability. Plus a possible vastly larger amount of versatility. Eight wins here.
Alex can one-shot eight by shooting him in the head, Durability is moot due to piercing damage. And what range is "long range"? also if it ain't on the profile it ain't here. I don't give a damn make a CRT if you have a problem. Eight has versatility yes, but when Alex can end this fight nearly as fast as it starts with a shot to that nice little head Eight has? And Alex is military, aka should be a good shot. Also it isn't that big of a difference with AP/durability anyway, the difference from baseline 10-A vs baseline 9-C is 3x. Eight upscales sure but not enough.

A gun is still a greater advantage than a boomerang anyway, durability doesn't matter that much, since both can badly hurt each other.
I don't know about the magic attacks and skills, though.

Even without an headshot, being hit by bullets would be a problem, because, you know, bullets.

How much of Eight's abilities, skills, and equipment is he allowed to use?
What's he got early game is the question, I barely research these characters outside of when a skafuffle is forming, or when I need a calculation. Basically anything that he can reasonably have here and stay at 9-C, though that standard equipment is not looking good for Eights chances of survival

What's he got early game is the question, I barely research these characters outside of when a skafuffle is forming, or when I need a calculation. Basically anything that he can reasonably have here and stay at 9-C, though that standard equipment is not looking good for Eights chances of survival
In the beginning of the game, he can get up to chain mail, iron, and scale armors and shields. With the ability to get higher graded gear later. He also has access to accessories and skills that can reduce damage as well. In the case of his Defending Champ ability, reduce damage by 90%. He has ways to reduce damage and the ability to heal from the remaining damage.

In the beginning of the game, he can get up to chain mail, iron, and scale armors and shields. With the ability to get higher graded gear later. He also has access to accessories and skills that can reduce damage as well. In the case of his Defending Champ ability, reduce damage by 90%. He has ways to reduce damage and the ability to heal from the remaining damage.
Well damn, you have revisions and a big, fat CRT to make then, like I said if it ain't on the profile it ain't here, but if Eight had all that im fairly sure he'd have a good chance at making second or thrid place in the tournament, because Horobi exists and I had to pull my 9-C Tournament Trump card that surprisingly doesn't have hax that works that I would condemn.

the difference from baseline 10-A vs baseline 9-C is 3x. Eight upscales sure but not enough.
Eight has Defending Champ though, and it is on his profile. It's 90% damage reduction. If he is 3x more durable and Defending Champ allows him to only receive 10% damage, then he would end up being 30x tougher. He can tank a head shot.

Not including Psyching Up. Which amplifies his attack and defenses even more.

Alex can end this fight nearly as fast as it starts with a shot to that nice little head Eight has
Eight gets the jump on him with Mercurial Thrust. It allows him to attack first before any other characters can regardless of speed.

Also, multiple people voted for Eight. Why aren't they being counted?

This is very early in the game, I don’t see why he would have that now.
The list doesn’t discriminate between what stage of the game.

Also he isn’t 3 times more durable then a pistol, they pierce most things anyway, so he shouldn’t be a problem.

Eight has Defending Champ though, and it is on his profile. It's 90% damage reduction. If he is 3x more durable and Defending Champ allows him to only receive 10% damage, then he would end up being 30x tougher. He can tank a head shot.

Not including Psyching Up. Which amplifies his attack and defenses even more.
you do realise that from what ive seen, Eight is an RPG character with no definitive first move, as all RPG playable characters are usually. Mr. Bigglesworth is the same way, no definitive first move other then "ice attacks are coming out guarenteed" Baron Brixius doesnt have that problem because hes a boss. aka, Defending champ may not come out at all, and shooting Eight would be Alex's first move.

Atm I'm leaning towarsds Alex because of the gun, since early Eight doesn't seem to have anything really good to surpass it.

That said, I think the match can't be added until the profile is fixed (it's fine for the tournament, though)

Atm I'm leaning towarsds Alex because of the gun, since early Eight doesn't seem to have anything really good to surpass it.

That said, I think the match can't be added until the profile is fixed (it's fine for the tournament, though)
He gets his hit in first via Mercurial Thrust which allows him to attack before his opponents can act. Giant spear straight to the throat, chest, ect. Also, 90% damage reduction from Defending Champ would allow tanking the hits anyways.

He gets his hit in first via Mercurial Thrust which allows him to attack before his opponents can act. Giant spear straight to the throat, chest, ect. Also, 90% damage reduction from Defending Champ would allow tanking the hits anyways.
Yep, but like I said, Eight is a turn-based RPG playable character, and thus has no definitive first move unless there's a cutscene of him fighting. Which is the pain with RPG characters, its player preference for what the first move is so its impossible to say unless they fight in a cutscene.

I mean gun is gonna be quicker in most cases.
Merc isn’t so fast as to allow him to cross a large distance and strike before a man pulls out a gun and shoots him.
NLF incarnate.

Back