• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Revision to our cap of lifting strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabwhale

Wasteland Gravetender
VS Battles
Administrator
Hello all.

It has come to my attention that we are currently using the hummer tire deadlift world record as the capstone for peak human lifting strength. This is fine. I personally believe that the standard deadlift is a better indicator of the true strength of an individual, as a hummer tire deadlift has several things going for it that make the lift easier (a bar that bends more allowing the weights to lift gradually rather all at once, an increased heigh of 15 inches to start as opposed to 9), but if we're by measuring brute weight lifted, the hummer tire functions well.

However, the figure currently accepted in our page is now outdated. JF Caron's record of 1202 lbs was eclipsed in the 2022 Shaw Classic competition, in which Oleksii Novikov lifted 1210 lbs/548.85 kg. This should therefore be our cap.

a strongman nerd
You say that as if that isn't me too.

Plus, we might as well try to upgrade the baseline for Class 1 into something with a solid number + is something world records have a bit of a way to go before breaking. Like rounding that number of to 550 kg as our baseline.

You say that as if that isn't me too.
Strongman vibe check: who's your favorite athlete.
Plus, we might as well try to upgrade the baseline for Class 1 into something with a solid number + is something world records have a bit of a way to go before breaking. Like rounding that number of to 550 kg as our baseline.
I honestly think 550 might be too low as of right now. As in, there's multiple guys who are fully capable of lifting 550 this way. My conservative estimate for a true "impossible" weight would be 560-570 as of this moment.

Strongman vibe check: who's your favorite athlete.
Historically, it's Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris; I'm a martial arts jock.
I honestly think 550 might be too low as of right now. As in, there's multiple guys who are fully capable of lifting 550 this way. My conservative estimate for a true "impossible" weight would honestly be 560-570 right now.
Fair, or we could just say 600 kg and keep it simple.

Historically, it's Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris; I'm a martial arts jock.
Oi. Oi oi oi. That ain't a strongman, lad. That's a strong man. There be a difference. A strong man is a man that is strong. A strongman is a gigantic pile of mountainous muscle and fat that deadlifts cars, pulls planes, lifts giant logs, runs with 700 kilo frames on his back, and more.
Fair, or we could just say 600 kg and keep it simple.
That would be my second suggestion yes. It's also supported by some athletes' top pulling strength from like absolutely no range of motion being in the 600 kg range.

Genuinely, how a strongman would fight against a MMA guy
There was actually an example of this(kind of)

While it's just an exercise for entertainment and learning purposes, Dustin got sent flying from Brian Shaw's no form kicks and couldn't recover from a pin by Shaw, but could indeed succeed in a pin on Shaw eventually, though I should note that Brian roughhouses with Eddie Hall decently often and was pretty much unbothered by Eddie throwing a 20 pound medicine ball at his face, so chances are if it really went down the only hope would be to get around him and do a choke hold or to exhaust the strongman, cause head on there's 0 chance.

Hello all.

It has come to my attention that we are currently using the hummer tire deadlift world record as the capstone for peak human lifting strength. This is fine. I personally believe that the standard deadlift is a better indicator of the true strength of an individual, as a hummer tire deadlift has several things going for it that make the lift easier (a bar that bends more allowing the weights to lift gradually rather all at once, an increased heigh of 15 inches to start as opposed to 9), but if we're by measuring brute weight lifted, the hummer tire functions well.
This does make sense to me, even a standard deadlift is realistically a much more ideal condition for lifting than almost any LS feat in fiction, where usually it's just gonna be a character picking up a big rock or something.

Though in the very unlikely case that a hummer tire deadlift feat does happen in some work of fiction, a note should be added on the page if we do make this change.

Oi. Oi oi oi. That ain't a strongman, lad. That's a strong man. There be a difference. A strong man is a man that is strong. A strongman is a gigantic pile of mountainous muscle and fat that deadlifts cars, pulls planes, lifts giant logs, runs with 700 kilo frames on his back, and more.
Didn't Bruce Lee backlift like 2 tons according to an audio report from Chuck Norris? Though he also broke his back in the process and not quite the same as deadlifting since backlifting is done using a tool.
Also, @DarkDragonMedeus you revenant waffle, you never answered on what our value should be.
I thought I mentioned 600 kg being our new baseline for Class 1 seems good for me.

Didn't Bruce Lee backlift like 2 tons according to an audio report from Chuck Norris? Though he also broke his back in the process and not quite the same as deadlifting since backlifting is done using a tool.
I'd have to see proof tbh.
I thought I mentioned 600 kg being our new baseline for Class 1 seems good for me.
Honestly I'm gonna proceed with backpedaling a bit on that. I realize now that maybe jumping a whole 50 theoretical kg is maybe beyond the scope of relatively unknowledgeable people on the topic.

I'd have to see proof tbh.
It was back in 2013 when I last heard it, but after re-listening to it I might have misheard it. He said "Too many, too heavy weights" and never specified amount. And it was in 1968 was when that incident happened. No idea where that "2 ton" statement originated then. But we know of Paul Anderson's 3 ton backlift.
Honestly I'm gonna proceed with backpedaling a bit on that. I realize now that maybe jumping a whole 50 theoretical kg is maybe beyond the scope of relatively unknowledgeable people on the topic.
Fair

Great, now we just need someone to open the profile.

How many times will they lift the Hummer tires LOL

this is fine.

How many times will they lift the Hummer tires LOL
The Hummer tire deadlift was originally a lift invented for the Arnold Strongman Classic, before it was replaced by the elephant bar deadlift in 2016.

However, since 2020, it has become the signature test of strength for the Shaw Classic competition, hosted by the American Brian Shaw, four times World's Strongest Man and one of the most decorated athletes in the sport.

So, it will presumably remain a mainstay for as long as Brian can host the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back