• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Retrocognition and Accelerated Development for a verse I'm sure you're tired of seeing (take a guess)

RandomGuy2345

He/Him
Let's not waste any time and get straight into this.

For Retrocognition, the characters have shown to see each other's flashbacks multiple times.

This is a fairly common trope in cartoons, where the characters are able to see each other's flashbacks despite not actually demonstrating how they were able to do that.

I don't really care all that much if this gets applied or not, but even if it does get applied, I don't think it can be used in combat.

And for Accelerated Development, in the episode "The Wizard of Johnny", Johnny was able to instantly learn magic spells despite having no experience whatsoever prior to this.

In these two correlating scenes, Moldywart (the villain) mocks Johnny's charging bull spell, going as far as calling it "Magic 101".

So clearly that specific spell Johnny does is considered basic in that verse. Not too sure if that applies to all the other spells Johnny has used, though.

This one right here might justify AD instead of potentially contradict it like the previous one, where it states the wheel feet spell is something Johnny (Wizard Lad) just learned. Keep in mind that the people in the verse have no clue that this is Johnny. They think it's Wizard Lad. So from their perspective, they think Wizard Lad just recently learned a wheel feet spell, which is technically what happened, as Johnny automatically knew how to do it.

There's also this sequence of Johnny matching Fiore in terms of magic spells, though it's quite clearly depicted that the Dragon Sword of Fire (Fiore's weapon) is stronger than Johnny's magic wand, as he needed help to fend off Fiore in this particular scene.

To further drive this home, it's stated that the Dragon Sword of Fire could destroy all of Dumbledumb and Wizard Land (the setting in which the book takes place).

The fact that Johnny can somewhat hold his own against that level of power with little to no experience under his belt should justify AD.

If this is Accelerated Development, what kind of AD would it be? Keep in mind that Johnny quite literally had no training/experience whatsoever prior to this. He basically just learned these spells in an instant.

And if this is not AD, is it some kind of other ability?

This shouldn't be as controversial as before.

Agree: @Dalesean027 (Agrees with AD), @Rikimarox2 (Agrees with AD), @Just_a_Random_Butler (Agrees with AD), @DarkGrath (Agrees with AD), @Tllmbrg (Agrees with AD)

Disagree:

Neutral: @Dalesean027 (Neutral on Retrocognition), @AnAverageUsername (Neutral on both AD and Retrocognition), @Rikimarox2 (Neutral on Retrocognition), @Just_a_Random_Butler (Neutral on Retrocognition), @DarkGrath (Neutral on Retrocognition), @Tllmbrg (Neutral on Retrocognition)

Last edited:
For Retrocognition, the characters have shown to see each other's flashbacks multiple times.

This is a fairly common trope in cartoons, where the characters are able to see each other's flashbacks despite not actually demonstrating how they were able to do that.

I don't really care all that much if this gets applied or not, but even if it does get applied, I don't think it can be used in combat
It is pretty common, I've never thought to list that as Retrocognition so I'll be neutral there as I want to see staff opinions to know if that's applicable myself
And for Accelerated Development, in the episode "The Wizard of Johnny", Johnny was able to instantly learn magic spells despite having no experience whatsoever prior to this.

For context, in the beginning of the episode, it's clearly implied that Johnny has absolutely no clue what book everyone's reading about. He thinks it's lame, and that if he were to have a magic wand (like the MC in the story, "Wizard Lad"), and the book would be done in 10 pages, top. Johnny then gets inserted in the book as Wizard Lad, and the story goes on from there.

If this is Accelerated Development, what kind of AD would it be? Keep in mind that Johnny quite literally had no training/experience whatsoever prior to this. He basically just learned these spells in an instant.
It very well could be A.D. but I think it just depends on skill wall for using magic if its low then I wouldn't say so but if magic is shown to either take some skill or like he casually used some high level spell without prior knowledge or something along those lines then yes I'd say it qualifies

Another question I'd like to ask is whether or not if AD (if it gets applied) can be applied to combat, since Johnny only gains these abilities via having a magic wand in a verse that's not even his.

So these two right here correlate.

In the first link where it says "magic spells", Moldywart (the villain) mocks Johnny's charging bull spell, going as far as calling it "Magic 101".

So clearly that specific spell Johnny does is considered basic in that verse. Not too sure if that applies to all the other spells Johnny has used, though.

This one right here might justify AD instead of potentially contradict it like the previous one, where it states the wheel feet spell is something Johnny (Wizard Lad) just learned. Keep in mind that the people in the verse have no clue that this is Johnny. They think it's Wizard Lad. So from their perspective, they think Wizard Lad just recently learned a wheel feet spell, which is technically what happened, as Johnny automatically knew how to do it.

There's also this sequence of Johnny matching Fiore in terms of magic spells, though it's quite clearly depicted that the Dragon Sword of Fire (Fiore's weapon) is stronger than Johnny's magic wand, as he needed help to fend off Fiore in this particular scene

I don't know what this implies tbh.

So these two right here correlate.

In the first link where it says "magic spells", Moldywart (the villain) mocks Johnny's charging bull spell, going as far as calling it "Magic 101".

There's also this sequence of Johnny matching Fiore in terms of magic spells, though it's quite clearly depicted that the Dragon Sword of Fire (Fiore's weapon) is stronger than Johnny's magic wand, as he needed help to fend off Fiore in this particular scene

I don't know what this implies tbh.
I think that works at the very least as possibly or likely since from knowing nothing of magic before could still clash somewhat with a high level wizard and learn numerous spells almost instantly

I think that works at the very least as possibly or likely since from knowing nothing of magic before could still clash somewhat with a high level wizard and learn numerous spells almost instantly
To further drive this home, it's stated that the Dragon Sword of Fire could destroy all of Dumbledumb and Wizard Land (the setting in which the book takes place).

The fact that Johnny can somewhat hold his own against that level of power with little to no experience under his belt should justify AD.

I also agree with this. I initially thought that there's a chance magic is too easy in the verse, and I would've opted for a likely, but seeing the recent scans, I agree with a full-on AD.

Neutral on Retrocognition stuff. Don't know how we treat these stuff.

For Retrocognition
Consider me neutral on this one. The Retro feats that I know how to evaluate are the obvious and clear-cut Retro, where a user uses observation and analysis on available clues to know what had transpired in the past with perfect or near-perfect accuracy. This one is about flashbacks, and I don't know how to handle cases like those, especially considering that Retrocognition is still a little bit new, and isn't used that much in here, so I have nothing much to use for basis and comparison. But let's say this gets accepted, you should specify that it's done through flashbacks and is non-combat applicable.

And for Accelerated Development
I share Dalesean's sentiment regarding this.

Accelerated Development seems well-justified, but the phrasing on the Accelerated Development page admittedly leaves some room for doubt. It's not clear where the line is drawn between "Accelerated Development as a power/ability" versus "just being an above-average speed learner"; I might make a CRT in the future to see if we can get the page re-worded with more clarity. In this case, however, it looks like the former. Consider me in agreement.

I'm actually physically unable to verify the Retrocognition feats, as the videos provided as evidence are all blocked in my country under copyright grounds. But, assuming what you've stated is true, I'm pretty decidedly neutral. Characters being able to see each other's flashbacks in a kid's show is, as you mention in the OP, common. And it's often just used as a gag with little relevance to the capabilities of the characters. If it is applied, it should at least be noted that it's a very specific and limited form of Retrocognition.

Accelerated Development seems well-justified, but the phrasing on the Accelerated Development page admittedly leaves some room for doubt. It's not clear where the line is drawn between "Accelerated Development as a power/ability" versus "just being an above-average speed learner"; I might make a CRT in the future to see if we can get the page re-worded with more clarity. In this case, however, it looks like the former. Consider me in agreement.

I'm actually physically unable to verify the Retrocognition feats, as the videos provided as evidence are all blocked in my country under copyright grounds. But, assuming what you've stated is true, I'm pretty decidedly neutral. Characters being able to see each other's flashbacks in a kid's show is, as you mention in the OP, common. And it's often just used as a gag with little relevance to the capabilities of the characters. If it is applied, it should at least be noted that it's a very specific and limited form of Retrocognition.
Thanks, Grath!

Thanks, Grath!
No problem!

NaiDBv6.jpeg

Ironic since my username is literally "RandomGuy".
exactly why I used that image

Alright, no more derailing. I do want to ask if you have any other clips of those Retrocognition feats so I can examine it in more detail? Again, the one's linked in the OP are blocked in my country.

exactly why I used that image

Alright, no more derailing. I do want to ask if you have any other clips of those Retrocognition feats so I can examine it in more detail? Again, the one's linked in the OP are blocked in my country.
Then I can't help you, because apparently a portion of the members here can't see Johnny Test videos due to country block, so you're not alone here lol.

So this has approval from 3 staff members.

I think that's enough to apply AD for Johnny.

Another question I'd like to ask is whether or not if AD (if it gets applied) can be applied to combat, since Johnny only gains these abilities via having a magic wand in a verse that's not even his.
Can someone answer this question for me before I wrap things up?

I'd highly appreciate it if someone were to answer this.

I mean, whether or not Retrocognition gets added doesn't matter to me.

I was just asking if Johnny's AD is combat applicable.
Oh no it's not I'm pretty sure that's the general consensus that if we count that as Retrocognition then it wouldn't be combat applicable

Oh no it's not I'm pretty sure that's the general consensus that if we count that as Retrocognition then it wouldn't be combat applicable
Bro...

I'm talking about Johnny's Accelerated Development, not Retrocognition lol.

Is Johnny's Accelerated Development combat applicable?

Back