• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Relativistic/FTL Kinetic Energy Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Now yes I am aware anything near the speed of light or faster cannot be reached, as it requires infinite energy. I'm not trying to disapprove of anything, I am rather just misunderstood and curious about this comparison. Though it always bothered me why the Speed of Light and above aren't considered outliers since it also requires infinite energy, and that it's normally calculated all the time (Distance/time). Then KE, Ek=0.5*M*V^2. How come we can't use the Speed of Light for the calculation to find a number, for example, 0.5*69420*34300^2 = 4.0835968e+13. Using the speed of light (3.1195792e+21) but it's an outlier due to infinite energy (And something I'm not aware of). Though with FTL travel, Distance/Time is accepted even if it reaches over the Speed of Light despite it realistically needing infinite energy.

Note: Again I'm not trying to debunk anything, just a mere question that I'm misunderstood about.

2) If a KE feat is performed above or around the Speed of Light, it obviously can't be calculated. Though shouldn't the feat be recalculated by using 93% of the Speed of Light (The limit) to get the closest results to the original feat?

3) If KE with the Speed of Light is used, would it not being able to be calculated or High 3-A for the infinite energy (Assuming it's a statement but it's taken as literal).

1. Because most verses either give a reason why FTL is possible (speed force) or it simple ignores it, and so we do.

2. No, because that would be lowering the feat by orders of magnitudes, we need to find the value given in-verse (I.e. flash hitting like a white dwarf star) or what level of destruction/scaling they cause (I.e. superman's infinity mass punch)

3. Unless is said in verse that they are generating infinite energy and it is consistent, no.

This all can be answer with "is fiction" and "case by case"

1. Because most verses either give a reason why FTL is possible (speed force) or it simple ignores it, and so we do.
Alright though, just a simple nitpick. How come we ignore it like the verse, when we try to be realistic with scaling, shouldn't it be an outlier due to logic (In the case that the verse ignores it instead of explaining how it's possible). Or is it just a simple rule of the wiki, to make the feat scaling possible.

2. No, because that would be lowering the feat by orders of magnitudes, we need to find the value given in-verse (I.e. flash hitting like a white dwarf star) or what level of destruction/scaling they cause (I.e. superman's infinity mass punch)
Ahh I see. Though just another nitpick. Though shouldn't the feat be lowered even if it is magnitudes to scale the closest to the original speed.

3. Unless is said in verse that they are generating infinite energy and it is consistent, no.
Yeah apologies I should've worded by question better. Since going faster than the Speed of Light in general requires infinite energy, would you technically be High 3-A?

1. Because there is a big difference between determining which character beats which and defying the laws of physics.

2. Sounds unnecessary, most verses make said feat tier 6-5 or cause a calculable vision, if they make the character just punch someone hard they aren't treating lightspeed KE as impressive as it should be.

3. Same as I said, only if the verse demands, we are not sure what would happen in real life, so there is no standard, some verses cause damage to spacetime, most time travel and a lot do nothing.

Is the same reason why we can have relativistic characters being tier 9-8, despite their KE being tier 7-6, fiction must first set that speed is impressive before getting a upgrade.

These answer my questions. If a Moderator comes by, they have the permission to close the thread.

If a KE feat is performed above or around the Speed of Light, it obviously can't be calculated. Though shouldn't the feat be recalculated by using 93% of the Speed of Light (The limit) to get the closest results to the original feat?
No. This would be what we call as "hiding the outlier".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back