• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Discussions on Religious Figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonmasterxyz

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
I feel like we need to talk about this. To simply put, discussions regarding tiering prominent/active religious figures should flat out not be allowed. I am not talking about variations who appear in various works of fiction, but instead the actual texts the religious people actually study and follow.

The issue with trying to tier them is that we end up with the likes of thread like this. https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/2647632

Here we have a thread trying to tier the Christian God. We have the whole "by feats he's Low 2-C, but statements he's Tier 0" or people even stating that this being is not omnipotent, basically undermining any and all the scriptures. This is an insult to any Christian on site who worship God and whatnot. It's incredibly insensitive and treats their religion as some sort of joke. This is something that would be considered blasphemous to those who practice said religion. This is on top of it being flat out controversial.

As such any discussion regarding tiering these characters should be against the rules as it is insensitive and it treats the culture and beliefs of others who practice religion as a joke.

This is a very good point. Christians have to endure enough vicious and recurrently disgusting ridicule as it is from the mainstream entertainment media (Preacher, Family Guy, Supernatural, etcetera), and are the officially by far most persecuted group in the world, with over 500 millio of them facing persecution. We should not do anything to further these problems.

My apologies for commenting in the thread. I tend to take things very matter-of-fact literally.

Like, why was this a thing when a rule for this already existed?

Memories of "Hinduism is 1-A" bubbling in my head.

Obviously I agree. Get this out of here. Applying our website's tiering to a real world religion is bat-shit insane (pardon my Swahili) and should have never needed a discussion to begin with.

We tier ourselves and real world objects. Nothing in trying to look for tiering or feats for God is offensive unless you're looking to be offended. If this site was fiction only well then you'd have an argument, and of course such a profile would be wildly controversial, but I think this is an overreaction.

For context I'm studying to enter ministry as an Elder (liscenced pastor) of the UMC. I've seen blastfemous stuff, but this isn't imo.

Let's not even go to the point to applying our website's tiering for religions like Islam (which I follow and adhere to) (which will undoubtedly end violently, something I don't want to happen).

If I didn't make it clear, this is indeed for all religions, not just Christianity.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
If I didn't make it clear, this is indeed for all religions, not just Christianity.
Which is what I said.

Assaltwaffle said:
We tier ourselves and real world objects. Nothing in trying to look for tiering or feats for God is offensive unless you're looking to be offended. If this site was fiction only well then you'd have an argument, and of course such a profile would be wildly controversial, but I think this is an overreaction.
Or people can just take things differently. Just because you don't take offense to it does not mean others don't.

Assalt

Gonna be honest

I really can't see how it wouldn't become a hellish abomination if someone decided to debate the fact that their own religion's god could beat your religion's god.

As a Catholic myself I honestly don't see the blasphemy in this, nor am I offended by it. At the same time though, I can see how someone could be, and people from other religions, like Hinduism or other denominations of the Abrahamic faith may. While something like SMT or tongue in cheek references aren't really that bad, especially since every religion and culture has its own view, it looks like this would be used by a lot of people as a excuse to harp on other people's faiths.

And I know people don't like TV Tropes here, but they know their stuff

Honestly, it would just breed even worse animosity amongs members if discussions were allowed. Since people's religions are really close to their heart. And imagine what happens when someone puts one deity of a religion against another even if they dont have profiles it would be worse than any Naruto vs Bleach/DC vs Marvel/insert two opposing verses discussion than you can imagine.

Assaltwaffle It isnt necesarrily that. It is the fact that we are trying to put god who by many is considered to be a diety who is all powerful and should not be questioned onto a tiering system. It is not about saying whether it is real or not.

I agree with the OP. I apologise for commenting on the thread, it was stupid and insensitive and I didn't consider my actions

Crimson Azoth said:
I agree with the OP. I apologise for commenting on the thread, I didn't consider my actions
Its cool tbh, I really did not see anything particularly wrong with that thread but you never know when someone could take something the wrong way.

Shin Megami Tensei has stuff that could be considered offensive to every religion and political view in existence, except maybe Shinto, and even that's a stretch.

Thing is Shin Megami Tensei is a verse, people can be upset about the verse but they wont be upset at anyone in this wiki for making profiles for it.

Mr. Redic said:
Religious profiles would invite a lot of messy trolling, agree that it should be banned.
They already are and we don't want profiles. This was a fun and games discussion about what feats and powers God is described to possess in the Bible.

Rocker1189 said:
Thing is Shin Megami Tensei is a verse, people can be upset about the verse but they wont be upset at anyone in this wiki for making profiles for it.
Exactly.

Well, we can't do anything about the various fictions that are created to ridicule Christianity as much as possible, but I agree that we should at least try to keep this wiki peaceful, and discussions about real world religions as if they were fictions are bound to create massive controversy between our members.

Mind you, I know that I have limited mental filters myself and talk too openly about sensitive things at times, but I at least understand the principle in theory, and make an effort to restrain myself.

Assalt, you can't compare tiering real life things to religion. Real life is what all of this is based on. You can tier a Siberian Tiger, you cannot tier the Christain God without saying things that will ultimately offend a Christain. It's not about the practice of trying to tier the Judeo-Christain God, it's the danger the arguments people may use when doing so.

This is something that will be decided by majority rules btw.

Basically,

"It's Cool" vs "It's Bad"

I have already said my piece.

Let's be honest here. People will troll, threaten, dox, and rant over whether Nauto's 7 should have a B or a A next to it. Why would we ever even try to bring a real world religion into that discussion?

Mr. Bambu said:
SMT has a very clear disjunction from what is actually present in the Bible AFAIK. As does the Binding of Isaac.
But SMT in particular uses a representation of the Christian God and describes him as the ultimate evil. That's far more offensive than discussing God's power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back