• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Questioning Ganondorfs High 5-A feat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust_Collector

They/Them
So this was brought up before but never reached a conclusion since the thread was closed before a consensus could be made. But basically we treat Ganon creating an endless night across the Great Sea and having it be night around his fortress during the Wind Waker as him stopping and rotating the planet. This doesn't come from anything in the game itself, but rather a statement made by the Composer Brothers from Ocarina of Time where they mentioned that they learned how to manipulate time with the sound of an ocarina and that Ganon tried to take their research, and as such Ganon would forever be incapable of any form of time manipulation whatsoever. But I have my issues with this.

So we assume that Ganon rotates the planet whenever Link is at his fortress, but we never bothered to explain why it goes back to day whenever Link leaves and goes back to the Great Sea, which is a noticeable blemish on the idea that he rotates the planet. Afterall, why would he just randomly decide to rotate the planet back to normal whenever Link leaves?

As I also mentioned above the game this happens doesn't even hint at anything resembling planetary rotation or stopping, all we get is the game saying that Ganon placed a curse on the land creating a endless night and that obtaining Jabuns pearl dispels the curse and makes it day again.

It very possible that the developers ignored the Composer Brothers statement (Which even then, the statement doesn't necessarily mean that Ganon is incapable of using any form of time manipulation, he could have minor time based magic that doesn't hold a candle to the time accelerating abilities the brothers discovered) and that Ganon is using a limited form of time stop that allows him to create a perpetual night around a localized area kinda like the Ebony Stone in Castlevania, hence why it's night whenever Link arrives at the fortress and why it's day whenever he leaves, which makes more sense than "Ganon tried to steal research about using an ocarina to manipulate time in Ocarina of Time, therefore in Wind Waker he is just randomly flipping the planet back and forth because why not".

Now I'm not saying it's 100% time manipulation either since the game never says what he's actually doing, although judging by how the game seens to portray the thing it seems like a major possibility, it's mostly just an example of how we can come to any conclusion based on just a single statement. We don't have enough details about anything to say for sure that Ganons High 5-A feat is...well...a feat at all especially with the the question of why bother going out of his way to make it day again whenever Link leaves, we could just as easily say that he's actually moving the sun and moon instead of rotating the planet since afterall that takes the exact same amount of assumptions as planet rotation. We have no idea what he's doing and the whole thing is too vague with not enough backing it up to justify our own specific interpretation.

So yeah, I have my doubts about this and would like to know anyone elses opinion on this.

What's the reasoning for Ganon with triforce of power not scaling at least somewhat to Demise and Majora? I'm not saying to make it a thing just wondering.(Demise I get moreso, just wondering on Majora)

We don't scale Ganon with the Triforce of Power to them because we have no comparisons to make between them. The closest we get is Link needing to obtain the complete Triforce to wish for the destruction of the Imprisoned, and it's very difficult to scale almost anything outside of Majoras Mask to Majora since he's from a different dimension and is very disconnected from the rest of the series.

Is that why Majora's speed reasonings was changed from "Superior to Ganon" to "Superior to Four Giants" or am I having a Berstein Bears paradox where I could of sworn that's what it said?

That was back when Ganondorf was Moon level. One of the old justifications for restricted Majoras ratings was that he was way stronger than Link who in turn beat Ganon (I don't remember why we treated child Link in Majoras Mask as equal to his adult self in Ocarina of Time), but then Ganon was put at High 5-A and we realised we shouldn't treat child MM Link as being on par with adult OOT Link and decided to not scale restricted Majora to Ganondorf since there's no comparisons made between them. Basically we don't scale either of them to the other.

You should preferably focus on asking the listed staff members.

Hmm. That is a problem. You could tell them that I would appreciate the help.

So I've tried again and it turns out that none of my posts are actually appearing on their walls or even on my contributions. Everytime I hit post or reply it just doesn't seem to go through for some reason, I'm not even getting some kind of error message or anything.

Dark649 said:
Even this feat is questionable.
The full moon, according to the guide , is what triggers the blood moon phenomena. So that'd be a point against it and almost be like its occuring naturally.

https://imgur.com/a/WBG7N6k

https://imgur.com/DdrYvod

Another thing is this event isn't really an occurance recorded until Calamity Ganon came into existence.

As per Hino:

"For 100 years now, every so often when the clock strikes midnight, the sky turns red and a full moon rises… At that moment, monsters that had been previously defeated will come back to life. And that's what is known as the blood moon! Why do the monsters return to life? Why does it only happen when the sky turns red? No one really has the answers to those questions. It's a mysterious phenomenon..."

So that's what, I suppose people infer why he's the cause of it as a point for it. Still combing though the guide to see if it says anything else regarding Ganny causing it lol.

Dust Collector said:
So I've tried again and it turns out that none of my posts are actually appearing on their walls or even on my contributions. Everytime I hit post or reply it just doesn't seem to go through for some reason, I'm not even getting some kind of error message or anything.
Hmm. That is a problem. You should probably ask the Fandom staff about this bug: https://community.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Contact/general

Bump

My message wall problem has been fixed and I've finally been able to ask for knowledgeable members to comment here. I also noticed how Calamity Ganons 5-A feat is also now being dragged into question, preferably that should be left alone for now until the High 5-A stuff is resolved.

I'm Neutral on this, but I'm pretty sure Cal or TriforcePower has something to say. We do see the Sun move at fast speeds as you approach the fortress I should note. I did hear that either Ganon flipped the Earth, or moved the Sun and Moon at FTL speeds; which would be 4-C; butI suppose Time manipulation invalidating anything to calc might be plausible. There would still have to be something for Ganon with the Triforce of Power to scale from though; not scaling from Majora or anything like that but he's easily more than capable of destroying all of Hyrule.

And I did here the Calamity Ganon stuff was more so a chain reaction of some sort, so I can see the issues with that one.

I'll wait for those two though, but maybe TriforcePower since I here pretty sure Cal does get tired of defending Zelda at this point.

@Mephistus

I remember this guide being brought up in the general discussion for Zelda. Ganon is most definitely the one who causes the Blood Moon.

Here's the page discerning the blood moon.

It specifically states, "Even though Calamity Ganon is actively being suppressed by Princess Zelda, its power still bleeds out into Hyrule and causes a phenomenon called 'Night of the Red Moon' or, simply, the Blood Moon. Ganon's Malice stains the sky a deep red and the monsters that Link has slain return.

The thing is, at least to me, the moving of the moon is never mentioned as something that happens - only that the sky is stain blood red in the aura of Ganon (thus staining the moon red as well from Link's perspective) and that Ganon revives all of the slain monsters. I would think if Ganon's power was able to move a celestial body, that it would be mentioned in the guide that explains what Ganon is doing with his power.

So I personally concluded that the moon moving might just be a game mechanic - that maybe the moon needs to be in a specific spot for the cutscene that the moon moves to the spot for that specific cutscene, but others disagreed.

Well going by that quote, Ganon must be unnaturally moving the moon with his power bleeding out since the moon's position shouldn't be having a full moon every night due to rotational speed around their planet unless it was being somehow moved faster and if it was normally rotating that fast other nights prior to Calamity Ganon existing having quarter moons wouldn't be possible. The moon is fully lit up white and such before it gets close and turns red so it being full is an effect of the Sun's light reflecting off it's perfect corresponding location behind their planet.

There are tons of better examples of quarter moons, but just off the top of my head.

The closest statement of Ganon's direct influence is the moon "rising" every night as per Hiro/guide. Meaning the moon being moved etc. And the whole phenomena being unnatural if the moon was rotating faster in the first place.

Ask for imput about Ganons High 5-A rating, people talk about Calamity Ganons 5-A rating instead. Well the Calmity stuff probably would've been a future thread anyway so I guess it's fine to discuss the validity of that here as well but I really would prefer we discuss the legitimacy of Ganondorf rotating the planet first before develving into Calamity Ganon and the Blood Moon.

"So we assume that Ganon rotates the planet whenever Link is at his fortress, but we never bothered to explain why it goes back to day whenever Link leaves and goes back to the Great Sea"

I'm quite sure it's endless night in the whole Great Sea.

Aside from that, what's exactly been proposed? That it's done by time Manipulation? I can easily just ask you back the question and say: "What's your proof it's time manipulation?"

TriforcePower1 said:
Aside from that, what's exactly been proposed? That it's done by time Manipulation? I can easily just ask you back the question and say: "What's your proof it's time manipulation?"
Pretty sure the alternative is "We don't know what mechanism it was done by so we can't assume it scales to AP" and just don't use the feat for the profile.

TriforcePower1 said:
The problem is that, unless it's time manipulation, everything would scale to Ganon's magic power and to his AP.
A villager in a random town keeps moving it back and forth as a prank.

It's game mechanics to make the area seem ominous.

Yeah I think it's better to drop the thing altogether and not make things up about it, if there isn't enough proof that it is in fact an AP feat.

And like Agnaa said, this does look like a game mechanic to give a menacing feel to the area.

A villager in a random town keeps moving it back and forth as a prank.

It's game mechanics to make the area seem ominous.

That would still scale to Ganondorf

384DAB54-5D45-4783-9859-FC5DF3583F4D

Couldn't we also assume that it's darkness manipulation over a certain area? Or curse manipulation to create a curse which automatically rotates the planet? (Hence, not making it a part of his AP and also fitting into the scan you just posted?)

I don't want to really argue about the specifics since I'm not familiar with the game, but there's many explanations for how it could have happened if it wasn't time manip or sheer AP.

We literally see the sun setting and the moon rising. Which also helps supporting movement instead of time manipulation. And Curse Manipulation would still scale to his AP regardless as both have the same source of power.

I don't think I'll argue much more till Cal arrives.

TriforcePower1 said:
We literally see the sun setting and the moon rising. Which also helps supporting movement instead of time manipulation. And Curse Manipulation would still scale to his AP regardless as both have the same source of power.
So should we make child Link High 5-A via the Suns Song since you can see the sun and moon set and rise whenever he plays it in areas like Hyrule Field?

Also it being a curse doesn't automatically mean it scales to AP since we don't know the specifics of said curse, like I said earlier it could be akin to the Ebony Stone in Castlevania (Cloaking certain areas in eternal night). We know nothing about his curses in Wind Waker other than Jabun and KoRL saying "Wow the douchebag created an endless night and rainfall" and as such there's no concrete reason to assume a High 5-A rating.

The difference is that the song of sun is EXPLICITLY stated to be time manipulation by the composer brothers who created it. Ganondorf does something similar, but we know his magic is different from the song of sun's as the composers mention he tried to obtain it and failed.

We know his curse makes us see the sun and the moon move, so stuff like "cloaking the world" or whatever is just plain up false. Thing is, whatever way you try to explain it, it'd always have more assumptions and less proof than Ganondorf moving the planet.

We have a statement of him not knowing a time manipulation magic that would let him do that. Yeah, he could have learned it later, but he was sealed away 99% of the time between OoT and WW, and the flood probably canceled most traces of it, so that's unlikely to say the least. We explicitly get told it's his curse, so no game mechanics or anything like that. The power outputted by the curse would be comparable to the rest of his magic because both share the ToP as their source of power. Stuff like cloaking the world with Darkness fails badly because we clearly see the sun and moon moving. There's basically no explanation than "he used a curse that rotated the planet", especially for how much of a general term "curse" is in Zelda (just think of the "curses" done to the three races in OoT).

The fact that time manipulation in the series has been shown to visibly affect the sun and moon as well only lends further credence that it doesn't necessarily have to be telekinesis or whatever for Ganon to create night since time based abilities also make the sun and moon set and rise. Also I never argued Ganon is using the same type of magic as the brothers, I only suggested he could have a limited form of time stop (That is not as good or useful as what the brothers created) that makes it night which would explain why it becomes day again whenever you leave Ganondorfs fortress as opposed to "Yeah Ganondoofus just randomly put the planet back to normal because he felt like it I guess".

We have a statement of Ganon trying to steal research about manipulating time with the sounds of an ocarina and thats literally all we have. He wanted research about using a musical instrument to control time.

Every explanation requires an equal amount of assumptions (We currently use the highest interpretation of the brothers statement to say Ganon can't use any form of time manipulation whatsoever and also he rotates the planet back and forth whenever you enter or leave his fortress because he wants to...i dunno. Other explantions require only the same amount of assumptions), we have no actual proof of how his curse in this game works and we can't just say that no matter what it scales to his AP since it's a magical curse since as shown with the Deku Tree his curses can also just be hax. My main point has always been that we know nothing about the details of what he does in Wind Waker, we could just as easily say that he's actually moving the sun and moon instead of rotating the planet, or that he has limited time stop, or that he...you get the point.

You're slightly missing the point about the Composers' statement. The reason he wanted the research in the first place is because he cannot do it, otherwise he wouldn't have even cared about it.

I'll let Cal handle the rest.

As I already said, just because he wanted to their reseach doesn't mean he can't use any form of time manipulation since there's so many applications of it, just because he can't pick up a ocarina and play a song that accelerates time by 12 hours =/= no time manipulation ever no matter how limited.

And again as I've said several times the only reason I brought that up as a possibly was to show how many ways we can conclude what happens in the Wind Waker. We need actual proof that he's actually rotating the planet instead of assuming that's spefically what he's doing, as an example why not just assume he's moving the sun and moon instead? afterall it requires the exact same amount of assumptions as planet rotation/stopping. What makes our assumption of planet rotation more correct than any others?

I think this feat should be inconclusive as there's nothing that proves he's rotating the planet or it's time manip

Anyway Ganondorf should be bumped to High 4-C thanks to Zant's pocket dimension feat I believe

Oblivion Lightning said:
I think this feat should be inconclusive as there's nothing that proves he's rotating the planet or it's time manip
Anyway Ganondorf should be bumped to High 4-C thanks to Zant's pocket dimension feat I believe
Could you link that feat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back