• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question concerning Tier 2-A: What constitutes or validates an infinite multiverse or a multiverse containing infinite timelines?

Something has been on my mind for a while and that is a question I have about what makes a verse possible 2-A material. A 2-A character is from my understanding one that has the power equal to or greater than infinite 4-D universes--or they're 5 dimensional beings or beyond.

However, what determines the validity of an infinite multiverse? I am asking this because there are plenty of verses or stories out there that operate under infinite timelines where each action leads to a different outcome, giving birth or leading to a different timeline. Since actions are bound to being possible to be taken in the first place, would that not suggest that the amount of actions leading to different timelines is finite therefore the seemingly infinite multiverse is a finite multiverse but one that has so many worlds you just cannot count them normally?

Can an infinite multiverse only be considered infinite when it is literally infinite as in "everything has happened, happens and/or will happen"?

For instance, when I stumbled upon Serge (Chrono Cross)'s profile it stated that the Chrono Cross verse contains a multiverse embodying infinite timelines. However, by the logic of infinity, would that not mean that in those many timelines there are ones that the bad guy i.e. Time Devourer (Lavos) wins and stops Serge's efforts--or worse, even consume him alongside the Chrono Cross? But that would obviously contradict the events and very outcome of Chrono Cross, so that cannot be possible. But if a "multiverse possessing infinite timelines" excludes certain scenarios or possibilities, can we really call them an infinite multiverse?

Mind you I am not here trying to challenge the cosmology of Chrono Cross specifically--I am using its cosmology as a case example of the question I am struggling with because there are arguably several other fictional works where the authors or characters talk about "infinite upon infinite universes" yet there are certain definitive outcomes that have to exclude the possibility or fruition of a different outcome--especially if said outcome is what would endanger or prevent the heroes from saving the world/multiverse/reality to begin with (example: the villain plans to destroy all of existence in a multiverse that is stated by the author to be infinite but is thwarted by the heroes, which means there CANNOT be a seperate timeline or outcome in which the villain does win because that would mean the heroes failed in saving the multiverse in the first place or were incapable in saving the multiverse to begin with).

Considering this inactive thread is still not 3 months old, I'd like to bump this topic because I am still uncertain about whether infinite universes necessarily implies or neccesitates there to be infinite possibilities and whether these infinite possibilities must mean that "like, yeah, everything imaginable both the cosmic evil entity winning over the heroes as the opposite are equally existing"?

I got reminded of this question I had when I came across BB (Fate/Extra CCC)'s article because it argues for its 2-A tier due to being involved with "infinite possibilities", so it is not just a matter of "all possibilities" but that these possibilities are infinite in quantity and thus endless. Which means that a multiverse only consisting of "all possible configurations"--but these possibile configuarions are still finite since there's of course a limitation to what is a possibility or not--can not be 2-A, correct?

I think that we simply count a multiverse as having infinite universes or timelines if it has been reliable explained as such.

That said, yes if there are alternate versions of the same multiversal threat existing in enough timelines, they should logically succeed in at least some of them, which means no more multiverse, but authors tend to ignore that point.

Yeah and that is what frustrates me because if you take infinite universes to its literal conclusions, you will end up with endless configurations but some configurations would be contradictory to others. That being said, could you technically speaking have a multiverse containing infinite worlds when the possibilities or configurations are still limited? Or would that just be "countless universes" (2-B) as opposed to "infinite universes" (2-A)?

I think that it would just be 2-B.

2-B includes countless universes, and anything else below an infinite number and above 1000.

Well, this is quite complicated matter. It heavily depends on the author's meanings and cosmology, which we use here when establishing characters above 3-A tiers.

Countless and endless are considered 2A via some conditions, apparently, one of which allegedly needs to the multiverse to already be noted as such instead of still expanding. However, there are claimed "infinite" 2A multiverses that are still expanding via in-verse events and thus the jurisdiction of whether or not they're still truly infinite is still not as clear.

Countless is usually interpreted as 2-B according to our standards.

Endless is generally considered as a synonym for infinity, yes.

Back