• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about cosmology japanese word

Most of the definitions I see online point to "countless" but there are a couple that say "infinite". Probably the only person who can give you a solid answer in this is ShiroyashaGinSan.

Last edited:
From Jisho, you get something like “countless”, “innumerable” and even “numberless”.

Usually it’s Countless but if for whatever reason it can also Infinite, definitely better to ask someone who knows Japanese well.

I believe even if it means infinite, there would need to be more context to guarantee 2-A.

But they don't have enough time or space to show us infinite universes,they can only show us few world represent for infinite(kamen rider build).

Countless just means a really big number, it doesn't mean infinite. Japanese word for infinite would be 無限

i know that mugen(無限) in japanese means infinite but some dictionary also said that musuu(無数) is infinite too but they reject it all time why they agree that yogiri is 2A while he can kill a creature that can eat musuu (無数) worlds.

Eh... OP mostly address the thread mentioned above. Basically, what he refered was this line

"It has been made clear in ISSTH that when we're talking about cosmology, 無数 ( 无数 in Chinese) is better translated as "infinite". Furthermore, 無数 in itself also means 'infinite number' in Japanese, so this further shows that "infinite" should very reasonably be the correct translation here. Something like 途方もない数 (as in Maou Gakuin) or 数え切れない would be used to mean 'countless' in such a case.
the said thread suggesting that whenever talking about cosmology, the word 無数 would means infinite.

While from my Japanese language knowledge, the word 無数 is directly translated as "countless" (a number too big to count). But since the topic mentioned 無数 in cosmology specifically, I'm not sure the same could be said to this.

The OP seem to ask about our standard regarding the word 無数 when it come to cosmology, rather than actual meaning of the word. And seem like Yogiri is about to get upgraded to 2-A because of it? I don't read instant death so I don't know whether ID verse has some other proofs to back the countless statement to be infinite .

Well i don't know what they used to translate,google or any apps to do that but honestly sometimes i use google to translate (some fiction i love) it translate infinite(English) into countless(my first language).😓😓

Probally should tag Instant Death on this thread ? Since your question is directly related to the verse.
Beside, it's probally better to get some opinion from the supporters who upgrade Yogiri to 2-A.

Hmm. This sounds similar to 无数 which apparently has been used to show its infinite in the upgrade using ISSTH as an example. But the thing is that it just means countless. From what I understand the reason its considered infinite for the series is because it uses it twice in a raw which apparently means infinite mathematically. So, normally this means just countless but depends on how the author used it to mean infinite.

From what I understand apparently its better translated as infinite because of context and when they talk about 無数 being translated as infinite they only mean when applying to the two verses.

Also side note the proof I got when asking for ISSTH having a infinite cosmology made a mistake because 无数 is not used mathematically as infinite 无限 or 无穷(not sure about 无穷 since I've never seen anyone, but according to baidu that is the case) is. 无数 means countless or uncountable, or no limits to how much you can do something.

Probally should tag Instant Death on this thread ? Since your question is directly related to the verse.
Beside, it's probally better to get some opinion from the supporters who upgrade Yogiri to 2-A.
I have tagged Instant death to this thread hope that they will explain how 無数 in ID's context means infinite rather than countless.

Back