• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Puzzle and Dragons CRT 1: Ability Additions (And a removal)

XitSign

He/Him
Saw that CRTs are back on the menu, and PAD has been in desperate need of multiple updates. Probably wasn't a good idea to try to add a new verse and get it settled so close to the forum move starting but...what you gonna to do? Hindsight and all that.

To help move things along as quickly as possible, I'm going to try to break up all the major changes that need to happen into multiple CRTs. This CRT will cover the universal abilities that are missing from the current profiles, and remove one that upon further review is not valid as a universal ability.

Also since I originally wrote a lot of this and now (AKA, forum move) a lot of the websites that were hosting the PADX Anime have been taken down. I'd normally rejoice because PADX was unbearable to sit through, but it kinda has a lot of the information I need. For most of the citations I'm using the Dub on Youtube, but my original screenshots are from the Sub. The dialogue is mostly the same though, thankfully, so it shouldn't be too confusing.

1. Enhanced Senses

In the PAD verse there is an energy source known as 'Orbs' (sometimes also called 'Drops' because this franchise changes terminology at the flip of a hat) that can be absorbed and used by various characters to increase the power of their attacks. They're the circles used in the match-3 gameplay of the franchise, however they are not a game-mechanic. We see certain characters holding them, throwing them, kicking them, some even eating them, in lore wars were waged over them, and we see them in the Anime proper, too.

Orbs are also established to be a normally invisible power-source that only certain people and species can see.

Ace Pointing out to Haru that she can't see Orbs/Drops - PADX Episode 1

Ace thinking about Haru's claim that she might 'see them down the road', followed by Ace realizing that he is starting to see them - PADX Episode 1

The SDF (Government Branch that monitors Orbs/Drops and monsters) working on technology to display Orbs, followed up in Episode 27's tournament, where Haru still can't see them, but the SDF has installed this technology so the audience can see the Orbs during the battle - PADX Episode 1 and Episode 27

Ace is watching a battle and points out that they are using Orbs/Drops, to which Devi is shocked - PADX Episode 1

Charo becomes excited that Ace can see Orbs/Drops - PADX Episode 2

In the PADZ game's opening we see the Orbs fade-in during the opening cinematic as we better see the battle going on, and in the training simulation the player is instructed to 'look closer' to see the Orbs to which they start appearing (NOTE: This is a virtual simulation and these are fake orbs generated for the safety of running a test for new recruits. So this may not be direct evidence. However this is a simulation being run by the Zed City Rangers who are a technologically advanced group who often work with Orbs and Monsters, so the fact that the player is instructed to 'look closer' for them, even in a simulation, may still be part of the training to ensure they can see and use Orbs properly)

That's quite a few times that it's brought up or alluded to that Orbs can't normally be seen, and I could probably keep citing more. I think it's pretty clear-cut that they're normally invisible and being able to see them is something special. However it isn't just restricted to Orbs either.

In Episode 16 of PADX the gang investigates a haunted mansion that actually is haunted by a dragon caller that had died there and his Toyceratops, we get a really good shot of him next to a mirror that shows the (still living) Toyceratops but not the ghost of the Dragon Caller implying that he's not normally visible - PADX Episode 16

I think that's a lot of evidence of Enhanced Senses, at least in the context of seeing invisible things.

2. Longevity

Already on a few profiles as its been established that Dragonoids tend to live much longer than humans (Sonia and Myr haven't visibly aged at all between meeting King as a teenager/young man and King's own son getting to meet them both, and it's directly mentioned that's pretty normal), however all 'monster' profiles should probably get some sort of Longevity as well.

In Episode 16 while talking about his death due to his illness, the Dragon Caller mentions that dying early didn't matter because his lifespan is 'so different' compared to his monsters, and continues to explain that it's normal for monsters to move on to another Dragon Caller should the Dragon Caller pass away (Around the 18:49 mark)

He seems to be talking about monsters in general with that statement, and speaks as if this happens regularly. It's also important to note that Dragonoids are an evolutionary branch from normal Dragon-Type monsters as well, so sharing this particular trait with their evolutionary cousins would be plausible.

I believe this is the only time this is mentioned for monsters that aren't Dragonoids, but the character has no reason to lie (in fact has more reason to be angry about it than he is) and seems pretty confident in his assessment of the situation and comes to peace with letting his monster move on to another Dragon Caller

3. Damage Boost

Already on a few profiles, but for different reasons than what I'm about to bring up. Remember those Orbs above? They're used by monsters and characters to empower them for attacks. This is probably Damage Boost over Statistics Amplification because the boost isn't permanent, the character unleashes all the power built up by the Orbs they're using and go back to normal after the attack.

The conversation that Ace and Devi had where Ace could see the Orbs/Drops, Devi explains that Lance is empowering his monsters with them - PADX Episode 1

In the games these boosts to power via the Orbs/Drops were recorded by how many Orbs you used in a single cluster as well as how many 'combos' (or, how many clusters of Orbs you use at once) are used. That part was never used as Damage Boost evidence because that sounds like it's a game-mechanic, right?

...Here's Lance's Crystal Aurora Dragon being boosted by his 5 Combo in the middle of a battle - Episode 1

And here's Garnet making fun of Ace for only using 1 Combo when she challenges him to a fight - Episode 2

The anime continues to do this. A lot. So combos are NOT restricted to the games and are NOT a game mechanic but instead a strategy used in-universe to increase the power of their Damage Boosts.

So I think with both parts there it's pretty safe to say that every character who can use this Orbs (Everyone relevant enough to get a profile in the first place) should have Damage Boost based on the ability to empower themselves with Orbs AND Combos.

4. Forcefield Creation

Here's a fun one, evidence for this one was revealed DURRING the forum move with the release of the newest game: Puzzle And Dragons GOLD (It's garbage, I hate it, and this new ability is the only thing noteworthy the entire game gave us)

We've seen characters make forcefields before but never given an explanation how and why. According to GOLD any character has always been able to do this, and it's through using Heart/Heal/Life Orbs They keep changing the pink colored Orb's name!

Like I mentioned, we've seen characters do this before like 'Calamity Immortal Dragon, Cursed Wyrm', just with no explanation and assumed it was unique to them. Plus Teppan G is designed to be a 'tutorial bot', you can't get much more trustworthy than a tutorial.

5. Mass Attack

This is not an ability we recognize as a 'power' on the Wiki, but it's a pretty notable technique that we see in every game as a basic thing you can do. It's an AOE attack that can be triggered through using extra Orbs in a cluster (like mentioned before back in Damage Boost) that hits a group of enemies rather than being a targeted attack.

This one's pretty simple and basic for the verse, it's not even a 'power', it should probably just be under Notable Techniques that the characters can do this to hit multiple targets at once.

6. Death Manipulation and Dark Orbs

Total transparency: This one is my fault.

Death Manipulation needs to be REMOVED from nearly all Dark users in the verse, Death as an 'element' is not directly related to Dark elements. I pushed hard for this because I thought I was correct, but reviewing the evidence I used I clearly messed up.

During the beginning of PADZ Dogma uses a set of Dark Orbs to attack the player after claiming the power of Arkvelza, Skydragon of Death. Who, as you would expect, has Death related abilities and was created to control Death to be the opposite to life.

At the end of the game, Enigma ALSO uses power through Arkvelza, however he does not use 'Dark' Orbs, he uses a unique set of 'Death' Orbs that are directly related to Arkvelza's power.

These two power sources look similar, but they have different names and Enigma points out that Death Orbs are uniquely Arkvelza's power source. The connection between the two is too weak to attribute 'Death' as an element to normal Dark Orb users. Death Manipulation should be removed for everyone excluding Arkvelza (Being the Skydragon of Death, obviously, he is capable of using these Death Orbs and was created to cull life so new life can be born) and the Anubisis (A species that has a dex entry noting that Arkvelza personally gave them a small amount of his own power, which they use in a 'One-hit-kill' move).

Death Manipulation shouldn't be used for any Dark Element monsters moving forward unless they specifically show the ability themselves, it is NOT a universe standard ability.

TLDR

I propose the entire verse have Enhanced Senses, Damage Boost, Forcefield Creation added. These abilities all circle around the Orbs which every character of note can use.

All monsters that do not already have it should have Longevity.

And all characters that currently have Death Manipulation (Excluding Arkvelza and the Anubisis) should have it removed.

Last edited:
Only staff members actually notify the tagged users while doing so.
You would have to manually ask them.

Ah, didn't realize that. Oh well, it was a bump none-the-less. I'll hit them up instead.

Well, if they do not reply, these do not seem like controversial changes.

Awesome, I think this can be closed then so we can open a CRT for the general stat changes now.

Well, please first confirm that you have carefully read through and will follow the instructions in our Common Editing Mistakes page, so no badly structured edits are made, and extensive cleanup work will not be necessary.

If you later change the statistics for any characters, also remember to update the tier categories at the bottoms of the profile pages.

Of course to both, though the change of statistics needs to wait a bit to make sure we're all on the same page, gotta write that one up soonish.

Back