• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
This is a thread to report profiles and pages, that users come across, that are sorely lacking in justifications, have poor formatting, are almost empty of content, or are otherwise unacceptable by our wiki's standards.

Please report any such profiles to this thread to see if the profiles are liable for deletion, or if they can be revised with help from the staff or regular members.

It should be noted that while regular users can report poorly made profiles, or make a quick note that they are able to help out with fixing a faulty page, only staff members are allowed to discuss whether or not they should be deleted, as othervise this thread would quickly turn unmanageable from the sheer number of responses.

However, if you would like to contribute to the conversation, please leave a message on a staff member's wall.

Note: It is highly recommended that all staff members subscribe to this thread, by clicking the "follow" button in the upper right corner of this post.

Continued from here: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/2299530

I'm reporting the following page:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Mage_(World_of_Darkness)

This profile not only boasts incredibly exaggerated powers and abilities born out of... very liberal interpretation of various statements, and with little to no regard for internal consistency, but it is also dishonest and deals with a nonexistent character.

What this profile does is take every single possible ability that any character in World of Darkness can take at any point, including mutually exclusive skills and skills that don't match one another, and also take advantage of stuff the player can potentially do as it is a Tabletop RPG, to create this bloated, absurd monstrosity. A character that doesn't exist under any realistic circumstances and shouldn't be a thing.

I also suggest deleting this page, as it suffers from the same problem albeit in a lesser scale:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Wizard_(Dungeons_and_Dragons)

It is my personal opinion that you shouldn't create profiles for Tabletop RPG Player Classes and Characters, as, due to the general nature of the medium as something full of rules and limitations, but also relying heavily on the spontaneous imagination and creation of real people, and an unique story crafted by a GM, makes reliably tiering them impossible.

A Dungeon Master could technically make a Lv.20 Mage die to falling rubble, while another could make a low-level monster blow up a planet. Both are valid things one can do in a tabletop campaign, and makes such profiles unreliable.

Lore profiles for NPCs are fine. Player Character Classes profiles are not.

I actually agree with Matt here. Actually established villains or gods like Malcanthet or whoever have actual lore behind them, while player characters literally have a backstory made up by the players.

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
I actually agree with Matt here. Actually established villains or gods like Malcanthet or whoever have actual lore behind them, while player characters literally have a backstory made up by the players.
What about board games, trading card games or even miniature war chess game?

They play very much like tabletop RPG. But guess what? Some of the very notable character profiles in our community come from these media.

I believe that as long as there is an official storyline with confirmed feats, this should be added.

Of course profiles should still be deleted if they breach other rules of the community.

Matthew makes a good point, but I would prefer if he politely and respectfully talks with Mr. Bambu about the D&D composite characters before removing them, as Bambu is an excellent staff member who has been of great help for this wiki and spent a lot of effort on those profiles.

I think the new Taroverse profiles need to be deleted.

They were all written in an extremely unprofessional manner with subpar quality, and had to be thoroughly cleaned up by myself and other staff members, and in addition they use pure guesswork statistics without any calculations backing them up.

As such, the person who wrote them seems to be very inexperienced and unfamiliar with our conventions, and the pages themselves very unreliable.

It's one thing to make profile for NPC and Creature characters from Tabletop RPGs and Card Games, as is to make profiles for characters from the lore. But the adventurers in D&D and other such games aren't canon characters.

DMB 1 said:
@Matt Would the "Composite Adventurer" blog by Minster Bambu be fine though?
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Mr._Bambu/Composite_Adventurer_(Dungeons_and_Dragons)
I disagree with such profile existing. I don't see the point in making a 100 kilobyte page with such an overwhelming number of composite abilities and ludicrously overdetailed Powers & Abilites and Equipments such as no one will ever want to read them.

At the very least, I have a suggestion to make about overly long powers lists.

I am leaning towards agreeing with Matthew, but also don't want Mr. Bambu to take it badly.

But the adventurers in D&D and other such games aren't canon characters.
The D&D adventurers are canon. The fact that they are not named is irrelevant. If you mean they aren't implicitly named, it may be best to remove Ashen One, The Hunters, even Dovah doesn't have a canon name IIRC and is up to the player. But no, the adventurer is 100% a canon "character".

I disagree with such profile existing. I don't see the point in making a 100 kilobyte page with such an overwhelming number of composite abilities and ludicrously overdetailed Powers & Abilites and Equipments such as no one will ever want to read them.
I thought our policies were against such non-detailed powers? I can remove explanations if you like, and simply link to main powers in the bottom section.

At the end of the day, the Adventurer is 100% a canon character that has the potential to maintain the powers on the page. They almost certainly will not maintain these powers in-game, as this would require an absurd amount of micro-management and luck, but still. Saying the page shouldn't exist because it is large is rather pointless, and saying it shouldn't exist because it uses multiple classes would, for further metaphor of Dovah, be like saying those pages should only have the abilities of melee setups or magic setups.

The creation of the Adventurer was discussed beforehand and deemed okay as it is technically the most accurate way of portraying the adventurers. Anyhoo. Ima go get a pizza, cheers folks.

@Numbersguy

In what manner were you going to fix them?

Hmm, I did not remember that you said that. It is unfortunate that I deleted the profiles then. However, I am going to bed now. Perhaps Ogurtsow or Nedge1000 are willing to help you out in the meantime?

Oh and referencing the Wizard page- that should be deleted, but for different reasons. Saying that the lore is made by the player is actually incorrect, you simply choose what lore you want (via playing through modules, which I'd equate to taking various questlines in video games).

It should be deleted because it is inaccurate and doesn't display the class well at all.

@Numbersguy

If you write a list of all the pages that I need to undelete, I can handle it tomorrow.

Okay. I will restore them. Should I restore the "Taroverse" page as well?

I have undeleted the 3 mentioned pages.

Comparing D&D Campaign Adventurers entirely created by the player and GM with the Dovahkiin, a canonical character from a single player video game with a set story determined by its developers is absurd.

The former is entirely dependent on GM and Player and can be pretty much whatever you want. The later has set roles and things they can do.

And it's not about them not having any name, either, that was never my primary point, and comparing it to the Dark Souls Protagonists is equally absurd.

And yes, a player cannot realistically maintain all powers and composite classes that the adventurer profile suggests, that much is obvious, and as such the profile is irrealistic and at best should be divided into many profiles for individual classes. And again, comparing it to Elder Scrolls is fallacious, because as a single player game it is not only possible but easy to do all quests and guilds in the game, and due to metaphysics of the series the player character very much can get access to everything.

I still se no reason whatsoever of why we should allow for D&D Adventurers.

Matthew Schroeder said:
And yes, a player cannot realistically maintain all powers and composite classes that the adventurer profile suggests, that much is obvious, and as such the profile is irrealistic and at best should be divided into many profiles for individual classes.
Wrong, it's realistical.

If you played the same D&D game long enought you'll eventually max out everything

Not for every class simultaneously, it's not realistic and it's not even a canon character to begin with, it's a class profile for something determined entirely by player and GM.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Not for every class simultaneously, it's not realistic and it's not even a canon character to begin with, it's a class profile for something determined entirely by player and GM.
But cross classing is a thing and I don't think there's actually anything blocking you from choosing to be all classes if you have enought starting points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back