• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Prober way to calculate fragmentation and pulverization energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugarik

VS Battles
Calculation Group
As you may still remember I made this thread awhile ago but I never cover how to deal with pulverization or violent fragmentation.

Take a note that I didn't find any source regarding the issue so the formula below is mostly intuitive though it makes sense from a mathematical point of view.

If a particular object receives more mechanical energy that it can absorb that will cause a structural failure. For the most part (especially during a tensile deformation) the object will end up being cracked in half. Now in order to crack each half in half, you need the same amount of energy because the overall volume of those two pieces is still the same and you can predict that after that the volume of each piece should become 1/4 of the total volume. So we can conclude that every time you add the same amount of energy the number of pieces doubles and their volume reduces in half. So here comes the formula:

Toughness * Volume * lg ( Volume / average debris volume)

For example, let's say an attack reduced 1 cubic meter of sandstone to dust. We know that the smallest sand particles are about 0.005 cm in diameter so their volume should be about 1.25e-7 cc. The volume of the block is 1000000 cc and the toughness of sandstone is 0.22 J/cc.

Energy = 0.22 * 1000000 * lg (1000000/1.25e-7) = 9429890 Joules

And yes, since my method has been rejected this is not a content revision thread. I'm merely sharing the idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back