• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Drone Upgrade

I think that it is just for hobby drones, not airplanes and the like.

Antvasima said:
I think that it is just for hobby drones, not airplanes and the like.
Then why the hell does the profile state it can be equipped with guns?!

Not to mention that ""hobby"" drones can still come in both rotorcraft and fixed-wing formats, so this does technically include ""airplanes and the like.""

Well, I think that the intention is to only include small drones, but perhaps it is best to delete the page to avoid confusion?

Antvasima said:
Well, I think that the intention is to only include small drones, but perhaps it is best to deöete the page to avoid confusion?
Uh, you mean delete? Is that a typo?

If so, I can't disagree with deleting the current drone profile. New profiles could be created however, but NO composites, there instead should be specific profiles for different types of UAVs, just like how there are specific profiles for different manned aircraft as well, such as the F-15 Eagle or B-52 Stratofortress.

For example, a profile for a recreational filming/photography drone, such as the Parrot Bebop 2, would probably still be 10-B physically if ramming the opponent at top speed. Same for business drones designed for things like aerial mapping and surveillance, just that they're a little more diverse than recreational hobby drones. Even weather balloons are classified as UAVs.

Profiles for military drones would be more complex. The different types used by the military vary wildly in design and purpose, some unweaponized and just for surveillance/reconnaissance. A notable example would be the Predator, one of the longest endurance recon drones ever, if I remember correctly, being able to fly for around 20 hours. The hellfire missiles should still go under optional equipment, as this drone was originally unweaponized when it was invented in the 90s, only serving the purpose of surveillance/recon. It wasn't until later that it was upgraded to carry two missiles, and even still, they're considered optional for a mission. When the Predator has spotted a target that must be blown up (this is just a vague example of a recon mission), usually the big guns will be called in; manned fighter aircraft such as F-22s will take it from here. It's only in the event that such forces are somehow unavailable that a Predator can be authorized to use its hellfire missiles. In the profile, within the key, it can be specified the exact AP when the hellfire missiles are allowed, since like all the profiles for manned military aircraft, the specs and destructive properties of the weaponry can be researched, but I'm not a calc group member.

Overall, the field of unmanned aircraft (let alone aviation in general), is a very broad and diverse topic, and a composite profile is simply too conflicting and impossible. Drones should be treated the same as manned aircraft on this wiki, having their own separate profiles for each type of drone and their abilities.

Back