• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible A Song of Ice and Fire upgrade

Weapons in this verse are currently street level in attack potency and durability, but maybe they can be upgraded with the evidence below. Maybe it applies to the characters too.

Jaime Lannister said in the books that good steel was a match for any bear, during the fight between Brienne and an eight-foot-tall bear :
"She needed to attack, to make a quick end to it. Good steel was a match for any bear [...] He's wary, Jaime realized. He's gone up against other men. He know swords and spears can hurt him."

Brown bears and Polar bear have Wall level durability according to their profiles (if these files are not outdated), and these species of bears exist in the verse :
Many of the caves are home to the brown bears common to these northern lands, others to packs of red or grey wolves.
Varamyr Sixskins, a small mouse of a man whose steed was a savage white snow bear that stood thirteen feet tall on its hind legs.

The First Men faced mighty beasts, during their war against the Children of the Forest, while they had bronze weapons :
The First Men- who had brought with them strange gods, horses, cattle, and weapons of bronze- were also larger and stronger than the children, and so they were a significant threat [...] The greenseers employed their arts, and tales say that they could call the beasts of marsh, forest, and air to fight on their behalf: direwolves and monstrous snowbears, cave lions and eagles, mammoths and serpents, and more. But the First Men proved too powerful, and the children are said to have been driven to a desperate act.

The bronze weapons are outmatched by the iron and steel weapons :
Sweeping through the Vale with fire and sword, the Andals began their conquest of Westeros. Their iron weapons and armor surpassed the bronze with which the First Men still fought, and many First Men perished in this war."
Nor could the First Men match the zeal of the invaders, and their bronze axes and byrnies of bronze scales proved less than equal to the steel swords and iron ringmail of the Andals.

And some characters like Shagga and Hugh Hammer have damaged steel objects with their bare hands :

The Mountain should be possibly superior to Shagga in strength, since Gregor's is considered inhuman, even compared to other warriors with incredible physical strength in Westeros. And a lots of characters downscale to Gregor Clegane.

Thoughts ?

Edit: Even without the statement on the strength of the Mountain, most characters should scale or downscale to Shagga's feat.

Last edited:
Jaime Lannister said in the books that good steel was a match for any bear, during the fight between Brienne and an eight-foot-tall bear :
I think the question needs to be asked: Should stabbing/piercing weapons be given "wall-level" attack potency for being able to pierce the flesh of bears? Bears quite clearly do not have the skin toughness of a brick wall, upon which any steel sword would simply bounce off. Early humans even used stone spears to bring down mammoths.

Overall I don't really agree with giving "wall-level" strength to a character because they can bend steel and steel can stab bears.

I don't disagree with the reasoning, per se, but I think the question needs to be asked: Should stabbing/piercing weapons be given "wall-level" attack potency for being able to pierce the flesh of bears? Bears quite clearly do not have the skin toughness of a brick wall, upon which any steel sword would simply bounce off. Early humans even used stone spears to bring down mammoths.
The Real World page say that: "Note: Unlike most fictional verses, the Real World does not violate any laws of physics or thermodynamics and as such, everyone and everything will be judged based on their own calculations. Numerous aspects such as the distinction between destructive capacity and attack potency, calculation stacking, power scaling, et cetera do not apply to the real world and thus weapons and animals harming other animals or damaging vehicles via piercing attacks, leverage, or similar are not indicators of scaling, unless an opponent can be overcome through sheer raw power."

So, according to this wiki, a sword that hurts a bear in real life is not a Wall level feat, but in fiction it is.
I couldn't explain why, and I wouldn't say that I agree with not applying this real-life logic to fiction, but in any case I will respect the scaling rules of this wiki

Last edited:
So, according to this wiki, a sword that hurts a bear in real life is not a Wall level feat, but in fiction it is.
I am not sure this tracks. But I would wait for admin input about the relationship between using a stabbing weapon and scaling it to real world animals, and then scaling it back to a fictional character who can break the sword. Personally, I do not agree.

In this particular instance the reality threshold is close enough to real life that I would not give any character scaling for being able to hurt bears. That is ridiculous.

Furthermore, swords are typically made to be light and fast, as a slow swordsman is often a very dead one. As such, most moderately-sized swords are relatively thin, and it is not at all a superhuman feat to bend them, though it'd require a considerably strong man.

A sword can hurt a bear in real life. It's called sharpness and concentrated force. Normal people can (and have) killed bears with spears and a sword will do the same.

There's not an upgrade for harming a bear. For the same reason if you shot a bear with a .45 the gun also wouldn't be rated at 9-B.
And some characters like Shagga and Hugh Hammer have damaged steel objects with their bare hands :
Neither are 9-B

A sword can hurt a bear in real life. It's called sharpness and concentrated force. Normal people can (and have) killed bears with spears and a sword will do the same.

There's not an upgrade for harming a bear. For the same reason if you shot a bear with a .45 the gun also wouldn't be rated at 9-B.
Neither are 9-B
I already know all that, I thought this wiki's scaling worked differently about this

Back