• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon 8-A tournament; Round 2: Bronzor vs Mareanie

Bronzor is completely immune to Mareanie's poison attacks, and it has the type advantage with Psychic STAB moves

Pretty sure Bronzor just wins this by simple type advantage

Bronzor is completely immune to Mareanie's poison attacks, and it has the type advantage with Psychic STAB moves

It doesn't help many gen 7/6 pages are grossly barebones, I mean Mareanie's page doesn't even list it's resistances.

On top of @Gilad_Hyperstar reasoning Bronzor has so much more versatility with precog, telekinesis, levitation (for better field mobility), etc. All Mareanie has is being a stone wall with it's force-fields and regen. It's only a matter of time until Bronzor bypasses Mareanie's defences to land a decisive strike.

I'm voting Bronzor low-diff.

This pretty much.
Mareanie MIGHT have a slight statistical advantage if the scaling chain puts it above Corsola, depending on how the scaling chain is, but I don't remember where Corsola is.

In theory, Mareanie has options with its Egg Moves of Stockpile, Swallow & Spit Up (Oh & Haze is there, too.) where it could use Stockpile to get 3 more stages in both defenses & then spam Recover, using Pin Missile (Bug-type for Neutral Damage) at range, & when up close, using Bite for flinching maybe or Liquidation for a stronger option that has a 50% chance to drop Bronzor's DEF by 1 stage.

But that's in theory. In practice, Mareanie's opening move....
"It plunges the poison spike on its head into its prey. When the prey has weakened, Mareanie deals the finishing blow with its 10 tentacles."

Whether Mareanie sees Bronzor as prey here, not sure, but if it does, it's probably not for long. I'm also unclear if Mareanie will use its "finishing move" when MAREANIE is the one weakened, instead of the would-be prey.
Opening move is probably Poison Sting or Poison Jab, both of which are wastes of time.
Wide Guard provides it defense against wide range attacks.... Which Bronzor has none of, so even if it works against non-wide range moves, it just amounts to spending time & effort doing nothing except maybe taking slightly less damage.

Bronzor meanwhile?
Well, it can negate the defense drops from Liquidation (But not the damage) with Iron Defense, which also makes most of Mareanie's offensive options that much worse.
Against Recover, it might realize to use Heal Block.
& also it has Hypnosis & Confuse Ray to make Mareanie even less likely to do something productive.

Bronzor's attacks include:
Payback & Gyro Ball: Their power is dubious because Payback is double strength if Bronzor was hit first & Gyro Ball's power is based on how much slower you are than the target. Speed isn't equalized, so going by base speed, Mareanie is faster, but maybe Bronzor floats faster than Mareanie walks? & I'm unsure if Mareanie is any faster swimming. Also, Gyro Ball is resisted.
Psywave: 20% chance to miss, not affected by type match-ups. Not Bronzor's best option, but at least it's range.
Tackle: Unclear if Bronzor will use it, but with Mareanie's offenses being limited to Pin Missile, Spike Cannon or going into melee range, it MIGHT have use in clashing?
Future Sight: Might actually be useful if Mareanie starts hiding because it realizes poison doesn't work. Seeing the future with an attack getting hit might help. In gameplay, it hits as a Psychic-type move, so that might be a plus. In the newest games, it also has an effective 120 BP. Big delay, but big pain.
Heavy Slam: It's resisted, but Bronzor weighs 60.5 kilograms to Mareanie's 8 kilograms, BEFORE Heavy Metal is applied. In gameplay, Heavy Slam is 120 BP for being 5 times or more times the weight of the victim, & Bronzor is over 7 & a half to over 15 times Mareanie's weight; Resisted or not, this will HURT.
Feint Attack: The Japanese name translates as "ambush". If Mareanie is hiding, this MIGHT be an option, but it's not much better than Tackle, & vs Heavy Slam, its only pro is probably being more likely to hit; Even after resistances, Heavy Slam probably hits harder.
Confusion: A "weak" telekinetic force attack, but in gameplay, this would probably hit very hard, & telekinetically restraining, squashing, or tossing around Mareanie (Plus 10% Confusion chance.) is no laughing matter.
Extrasensory: "Attacks with an odd, unseeable power". Bronzor's 2nd hardest hitting option after Future Sight (Ignoring rate of attack.), & probably not very easy to dodge, either. Also, a 10% chance to flinch the target, but who knows if flinching because of the speed situation?

& of course, there's Bronzor's better mobility.

Mareanie's best chance is to hide (Regenerator might also help here, but Heal Block might ruin that.), use an Egg Move it may not always have the time to use, may not think to use, or may not even know (Stockpile), & spam Recover, Pin Missile & Liquidation or Bite, most of which it probably won't do, due to likely being the aggressor here (as a predatory species), & lacking the time when it wastes time on its opening moves of ineffectual poison moves. (If it can even reach the flying Bronzor.)
& even then, Heal Block, Confuse Ray, Hypnosis, Iron Defense (Mareanie gets Haze as an Egg Move, but that also drops its Stockpile boosts.) , Confusion, Extrasensory & Future Sight make even that ostensibly best option difficult to make work.

The worst part about all this for Mareanie?
"Polishing Bronzor to a shine makes its surface reflect the truth, according to common lore. Be that as it may, Bronzor hates being polished."

Mareanie is a sea-creature, so it's likely to be wet -Also, there's no statements as such, but it might fare better wet than dry- & 1 of its best options here is a Water-type move, not to mention several of the Poison-type moves it uses involve liquid, & all of its attacks other than Spike Cannon & Pin Missile require getting into melee range.
It's almost certain Mareanie gets SOME KIND of liquid on Bronzor, which Bronzor might interpret as an attempt to "polish it", & get furious.

Voting Bronzor, Medium-Low Difficulty;
Even if Mareanie goes OoC & uses its best options, Bronzor still has numerous advantages/counters; Even if Mareanie had the statistical advantage via being higher on the scaling chain, I don't think it'd be enough to tip the scales in its favor.

Pardon all the words, please.

Last edited:
damn bro next time i need help in pokemon i'll just say

@Imaginym analysis
Lol, no problem. Glad you seem to appreciate the analysis, presuming you do. (Even if it might sometimes reference game mechanics that may be out of place.)

Just maybe don't call on me for statistics/scaling chain value analysis for now; I still haven't memorized those & haven't really researched them much, but I can try.

Yes, sadly, this is a quite unfortunate matchup. Mareanie doesn't stand a chance, it’s practically a stomp lol. Immune to all of their moves, higher versatility, heck, even higher practical Range for most of its attacks.

I’ll have to hope Electrike sees a better matchup, lol. Vote for Bronzor.

Last edited:
Yes, sadly, this is a quite unfortunate matchup. Mareanie doesn't stand a chance, it’s practically a stomp lol. Immune to all of their moves, higher versatility, heck, even higher practical Range for most of its attacks.
Well, not immune to ALL of their moves (Liquidation, Bite, Pin Missile, Infestation (Forgot that earlier.), Spike Cannon, Peck & Spit Up are moves Bronzor isn't immune to. But half of those are laughable "options" here.
I’ll have to hope Electrike sees a better matchup, lol. Vote for Mareanie.
Good luck to it. Also, did you just say you're voting for Mareanie, when you just said in the same post that it doesn't stand a chance against Bronzor, lol?

Well, not immune to ALL of their moves (Liquidation, Bite, Pin Missile, Infestation (Forgot that earlier.), Spike Cannon, Peck & Spit Up are moves Bronzor isn't immune to. But half of those are laughable "options" here.

Good luck to it. Also, did you just say you're voting for Mareanie, when you just said in the same post that it doesn't stand a chance against Bronzor, lol?
No clue what you’re talking about. I clearly voted for bronzor, smh

Back