• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlooked Superman Feat

Ryukama

Joke Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
Hello. I think everyone by now is aware of the extremely infamous feat where Pre-Crisis Superman blows up a solar system by sneezing. However one thing almost no one ever talks about is that Superman "abruptly" flies to another universe at "incredible speeds".

The feat happens within 2 panels, and it's constantly emphacized that Superman has to be quick because he's going to sneeze at any moment.

So would it be possible to make a reasonable timeframe assumption, then use this to have a set number for Superman's speed?

Also in case anyone brings this up, this is magic sneezing powder. Even if you want to argue Superman's sneeze was amped by it, there is no reason at all it would somehow make him faster.

Reppuzan said:
Would flying to another universe be quantifiable though?
Why wouldn't it be? It's how Whis gets his rating.

For this I think you'd just take how far away the end of the observable universe is from Earth, and use that for bare minimum distance.

The Dragon Ball universes are conected to each other with the same Time and Space, is it the same for DC?.

I don't see why, at least in this case, it wouldn't be. From my experience we usually assume universal feats are physical unless proven to involve Space-Time. And "People can simply fly to another universe" was like one of the biggest reasons people used to argue DB universes being connected, which is exactly what Superman did.

Takes a second to sneeze.

It's more than two universes apart, as COIE proves that the next few universes are populated.

The real cal howard said:
Takes a second to sneeze.
It's more than two universes apart, as COIE proves that the next few universes are populated.
Okay so I plugged the Observable Universe x 2 and 1 second into a calculator. Result was over 5e18c.

Also there is this which gives scans suggesting that in DC Comics universes are at least 100 trillion lightyears. Not sure if that was debunked or if Pre-Crisis universes were somehow vastly smaller, but taking that into account is over 6e21c.

Now those are only for your possible suggestions. If anyone else has different distances or timeframes in mind I'd be happy to hear. I'm mainly asking for input rather than asserting what to use for this feat.

Does't Pre-Crisis Supes have similar feats in one of the Crisis events? I think it was in Crisis on Infinite Earths but I could be mistaken.

I'm pretty sure the 100 Trillion lightyears thing is legitimate. I believe we gave Wonder Woman her speed rating based off that statement.

Traveling through universes itself is not really quantifiable, but traveling the distance of a universe to reach it defiantly is. As long as the context supports this, it should be fine.

You can clearly fly into other universes by moving at Massively FTL+ speeds and going pass its edge.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nHfSolmkrM

I don't think we can use 100 Trillion Light-Years cause that was introduced in Post-Crisis.

But...

Distance from Earth to Edge of the Observable Universe = 46.5 billion light years or 4.40×10^26 meters

Using a timeframe of 1 minute.

4.4e26 meters / 60 seconds = 7.33333333e24 m / s or 24,461,366,970,079,016c

It could be much faster, tho.

Superman has other feats of flying through universes in seconds / minutes.

@Matt Alright. What do you think of Cal's point of Superman having to have travelled at least more than 2 universes since he explicitly went to a universe devoid of life?

Also 1 minute IMO might be a bit too much since this is portrayed as Superman flying there insanely fast and barely being able to hold in his sneeze any longer (doesn't have to be 1 second though). But if others are fine with that so am I.

Also do you think you can find those other feats? This one might be good for at least a solid low end number for him though.

Maybe Earth to edge of observable universe + entire size of another observable universe in a much shorter timeframe then.

Faisal (really miss that guy) made a calc of it. It clocked in at octillions c but got rejected cause people said he used a "warp drive" or some sort of wormhole which teleported him there.

That's wrong.

SupermanNanosecond
"Smog-Beastie is far off -- Several Billion Light Years off, in fact. That kind of distance calls for the use of a Space Warp so that I don't lose a Nanosecond travelling"
This implies that he took the Space Warp (Which is really just flying so fast you warp space) to not lose a Nanosecond flying normally.

10,000,000,000,000 Light Years / 1 nanosecond = 9.4605284e37 m / s or 3.15569259584242068e+29c

@Matt If a "Space Warp" isn't actually something that teleports you or amps your normal speed then I guess we can use that. Then this feat won't really be needed. However I think there were some comments in Faisal's post which had things further suggesting the Space Warp wasn't his regular speed.

Is that quantifiable at all? Also the profile claims that he needs to accelerate to reach top speed. So these other feats could possibly serve as his base speeds.

Okay but is there still a way at all to quantify that feat?

Matthew Schroeder said:
No, but we can use this feat in this thread.
The one in my original post or the octillions one?

The one in your OP. He said "Long-Dead Universe", I think that my distance and timeframe was very conservative, too.

I agree that it is pretty lowballed. However it seems like more people are fine with the octillions c feat.

Considering that the universes most near to the main DC Universe are populated, using Observable Universe * 2 = 186.4 billion light years by 10 seconds equals 1.76344249e26 m / s or 588,221,098,610,826,240c

Only Cal would purposely make himself sneeze for the sake of a calc lol

Also couldn't Superman just hold his sneeze for more than half a second while flying?

Ryukama said:
Only Cal would purposely make himself sneeze for the sake of a calc lol
Also couldn't Superman just hold his sneeze for more than half a second while flying?
Have you ever tried holding a sneeze? It sucks.

Yes it's uncomfortable. But I can hold a sneeze for more than half a second. No reason that Superman shouldn't be able to either.

I do think a super short timeframe is reasonable, since it's portrayed as something he does extremely quickly and that he's basically going to explode any second.

The thing is not only do we not have a timeframe, but distance is questionable too. Since he went to a universe devoid of all life, meaning he could have flown through numerous inhabitated universes that we know exist within DC. So it might be hard to get a good number for.

I think we can use the space warp feat, which Lina pointed out several reasons as to why it's legitamate, as long as everyone else agrees.

"I think we can use the space warp feat, which Lina pointed out several reasons as to why it's legitamate, as long as everyone else agrees."

He did? When.

Massively FTL+ (At least tens of septillions of times. Can travel several billion lightyears in a nanosecond. Flew across numerous universes to find one devoid of all life in a very short time. Can cross the universe in seconds and the multiverse in minutes)

This would be my suggestion.

Ryukama said:
Massively FTL+ (At least tens of septillions of times. Can travel several billion lightyears in a nanosecond. Flew across numerous universes to find one devoid of all life in a very short time. Can cross the universe in seconds and the multiverse in minutes)
This would be my suggestion.
The race against Flash should be removed I think, I don't remember Flash being that fast in pre crisis and he should be scaled to PC Superman, not the other way around.

Also add- tossed a neutron star a billion light years as a teenager

It's whichever most people think is best.

Back