• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Organizing our wikia...

SchutzenDunkelZiel1217

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
Just as the Title says this thread is for organizing our wikia properly. First I'd like to bring up an issue about the Terms Category it's practically a copy of the Powers and Abilities Category so I don't really think that it's needed to add it to the Powers and Abilities Pages as such I may remove them.

Also I'd suggest keeping Terms that are accepted and used on the wiki in the Terms Category. But I'll wait for some input on this before doing anything...

Also any suggestions on how we could improve our site would be much appreciated

Categories are very important to an organized wiki, if a character fits the bill of a certain category then that should be placed on there page. (i.e martial artist, swordsman, God, cosmic being.)

I assume you mean God and cosmic being, Those can be very different, for example, Thor is classified as a God, Galactus on the other hand is a cosmic being, thats what i mean by those. moe God of *concept* more than anything for the God category.

No what I meant was about the Terms Category and The Powers and Ability Category they're practically duplicates of each other. And as such we should probably remove the Terms Category from the Powers and Abilities pages... This is what I was saying.

Oh ok, well I see no need to delete the terms page, but move things like reality warping and omnipotence and all powers and abilities to the right category, where as things such as feats need to stay in the terms category.

I'm not saying we should delete the Terms Category simply remove it from most of the Powers and Abilities pages. I'm still debating on the omnipotence page. With how it's typed it works more as a Term...

I think Ziel's right cause all of the powers but the Omnipotence one that have the term catogory in them don't seem to sound and look right to me.

With how this is being talked about Ziel, should we take out the terms catogory from the powers and abilities pages or not yet?

Edit: Okay. Well then again Omnipotence is a power like what Abbadon said above. But with what Ziel said, perhaps we could leave the terms catagory in there?

@ Addadon: Omniotence itself is a power but with the way it's defined here on the wiki it would fit into both the Terms Category and the powers and Abilities Category...

@ Cross: We should take it out now....

I know that. Hey Ziel the Char tier page has the term cataghory in it too, same goes for the feats and magic pages as well. Should i take that out too or no?

Just take out the Terms Category from all the pages in the Powers and Abilities Category (besides Omnipotence)....

Okay, Got it.

Edit: It's done. All powers & abilities pages that had the terms catagory but Omnipotence are now removed.

Ok... I've added a UTC Clock (it's right above the contribute button), a functions which makes the Special:WikiActivity, Special:RecentChanges and another special page refresh themselves every minute (I added this because I disliked having to constantly reload these pages to see the current activity), I've modified the tags for Bureaucrats, Admins, Mods and Chat Mods to being General, Admiral, Vice-Admiral and Captain, another feature has been added where anyone who hasn't edited anything in two months will have an Inactive tag placed on them and a few others...

Well I doubt anyone's gonna tell me what they think about these but I'll still ask what are your opinions about these added features...

Hmm...quite honestly, I commend you for your initiatives, Tom. Very nice modifications. There are some which are redundant IMO, and one script in particular (the Show/Hide script), which is decaprecated and should not be utilized anymore.

Inactive tag is a good idea, although you might want to change the time duration to 6 months, since this community is somewhat less active currently.

I especially like AjaxRC and it's implementation. I can't speak for everyone, though, since that feature is quite taxing on the machine and might result in lag.

Modified tags are meh IMO, since I preferred the old tags. I don't like using military ranking tags as a personal preference.

UTC Clock is a great idea, since it helps others know the wiki clock for making edits (for earning daily contribution badges and such). You might want to modify the clock text colour, though. The clock almost camouflages with the background.

I am considering adding the UTC Clock script to the main site soon.

The pseudo-blocking tabber method is a nice work-around, although it is lengthy, and can easily be bypassed by those with the technical know-how. Admin-locking directly is a simpler and faster method (also easier to revert, not to mention cannot be bypassed). Again, that's just my opinion. The work-around is also a pretty decent substitute.

P.S.: Apologies for the delayed reply.

Finally someone actually gave me their thoughts on these sort of things...

I know some of them are redundant which is specifically why I'm asking for opinions...

About the military tags... well that's just a trial tbh. Just wanted to see if anyone liked it...

About the UTC clock I'm torn actually... blue is a very good color for it imo but you're right about the flaws in it....

And I'm surprised that you actually noticed that (well not really). but to be honest it isn't really a locking method... Just a method of distinguishing the stats for my upcoming answers. That and I wanted to know how many people here could edit it...

Lastly I thank you very much for actually giving me your opinion on them....

Also I'm glad that I'm not the only person here that likes the AjaxRC.... and the lagging part well I doubt that will happen often at least for now...

Hmm...redundant scripts IMO:

1) Signature Check: Not needed on wikis which have Message Walls enabled. Also, you have imported that particular script twice.

2) TwittWidget: Not necessary since it requires user configuration, hence is more or less redundant since people are usually not well versed enough, and those who are do not need a site-wide script.

3) Reference PopUps: Well, without a wiki using citations it's an unnecessary bloatware script.

4) Show/Hide: Wiki discourages use of the Show/Hide script.

In that case, count my vote for military tag dislike...

Well, I can understand your dilemma. Well, I'm not an expert on colours, but I'm pretty sure contrast is an important aspect.

Hmm...if that's your target, better to create an "Under Revision" template, and insert it on pages. Again, it would be a simpler (and easily re-usable) method of distinguishing pages rather than adding complex tabber code every time. It would look neater too.

No need to thank me, bro.

Ok... I removed the scripts you mentioned....

And I changed the tags...

About the colors I'm gonna have to do it tomorrow or a bit later though... this week I'm pretty much stacked with work....

No that's not what I meant... I... you'll know what I mean when I start posting my pages....

Considering that you're the only person who actually gave me input on this. You deserve it....

Wow, I'm surprised you followed my script suggestions to a T, despite me being just a regular member. I'm kind of flattered, to be honest.

Yeah, I definitely prefer the original tags.

Fair enough. As a matter of fact, I'm also kind of busy right now.

Okay then. Guess I'll wait and observe the utility of the tabber function.

Well, speaking from personal experience, people will rarely notice such under-the-hood changes, so don't feel too disappointed by the lack of visible responses, yeah?

Dude admins are no different from regular users they simply have more tools that can be utilized. They don't make decisions all by themselves when it concerns the community as a whole.

You gave good reasons as to why the script you mentioned needed to be removed and I don't see any reason to not remove them...

I know people don't notice minor changes like this so much but I practically announced it.... but you're right about that....

Hmm...I want to talk to you about that...I'll do so in chat.

Fair enough. I still thank you for accepting my suggestions.

Bro, I created an entire highlighted thread, along with a new forum board and there's not been a single response. And that's on the main site. See what I mean?

Ok...

Ok again...

I see what ya mean which is why I typed "but you're right about that" at the last part of my statement...

Back