• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact AKM sama if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.

One Piece Chapter 1020: Robin vs Black Maria (Official Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Friday the thread will be updated with fan translations for the chapter and on Sunday the official release will be out.

No Break this Week

Chapter Link: Viz, Mangaplus

Discussions not related to the chapter should be discussed in the General Discussion Thread Here.

Spoilers could potentially be discussed in this thread and try not to derail this thread.

Last edited:

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
It seems that Caribou has rejoin the story
Yes, I wonder what he will do.

Remember that he also overheard Shirahoshi being a legendary weapon. If he also learns about Luffy and Momonosuke being able to hear the voice of all things, that may become important plot points later on, given that he is a (literally) slimy/untrustworthy individual.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Yes, maybe Robin and Sanji will become a couple towards the end of the series?

Robin is like 10 years older than Sanji, she clearly has no romantic interest in him (or any guy in the crew for that matter. The only one she's received flirting from consensually is Franky), and Sanji objectifies all women just like his brothers. There's no logical way they would be a couple. They respect each other, that's it.

It's pretty unfortunate that the Numbers were a non-factor, and we're already down to a single Tobi Roppo when they've done almost nothing collectively.
  • Ulti tussled with Base/Gear 2nd Luffy a bit... Also trashed Nami and Usopp--shocker.
  • Sasaki did absolutely nothing.
  • Who's Who did next to nothing, which is very disappointing.
  • Page One also did nothing after his fight with Sanji.
  • X Drake basically assisted in fighting Apoo... so practically nothing.
  • Black Maria is probably about to get annihilated by Robin in 1021, let's be honest. At least she beat up Sanji... but obvious reasons.

The Beast Pirates are falling rather quickly. Hopefully King and Queen put in some work before they are taken out, too.
  • Jack has done enough for me. He took out the Sulong Minks, and was only defeated by Sulong Neko + Inu immediately after that. Now he's getting a decisive battle against Inuarashi, which is perfect. The only thing I'd change is that Nekomamushi be there too, but it makes perfect sense for him to find Perospero.
If Queen loses to Sanji somehow, his only feat is beating Chopper... ... ... Wat.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Robin is like 10 years older than Sanji, she clearly has no romantic interest in him (or any guy in the crew for that matter. The only one she's received flirting from consensually is Franky), and Sanji objectifies all women just like his brothers. There's no logical way they would be a couple. They respect each other, that's it.
Okay. Never mind then.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
I don't think that Yamato will die. He is hyped to join the Straw Hats.

I'm I the only Robin-Zoro shipper on here?! Zoro gives off big brother vibes in the crew while Robin gives off big sister vibes.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Zoro is only interested in self-improvement, not romance.

There is 0 romantic interest in the crew. If anyone thinks otherwise, that's wishful and perverted thinking. They are a group of friends.

Face it. Hancock and Luffy will both die single. Sanji's only hope is getting with Pudding.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
I wouldn't say that it is perverted thinking, but I agree that the series works much better without romance. At least unless Sanji hooks up with Pudding near the end.

I wouldn't say that it is perverted thinking, but I agree that the series works much better without romance. At least unless Sanji hooks up with Pudding near the end.
To be frank, it is quite perverted. A lot of viewers who want these characters in the SH crew to have romantic connections are warping what is intended. They are a family, not whatever fanfic nonsense they believe the SHs to be.

A lot of these characters already have romantic interests anyways, just that they have yet to fully bloom (Usopp's got someone back at home who fully supports him, for example). People like Luffy don't have any romance on their mind, and probably never will.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
I have a higher threshold for what counts as perverted than just drawing pretty women in bikinis. That's harmless by most standards.

I don't think that Yamato will die. He is hyped to join the Straw Hats.
They were introduced too late think of all the other SH they were always introduced in the early parts of the arc. Makes no sense for just some random to join the crew. Especially a person who’s just going to leap frog sanji as the new monster trio.

Tama and Momo should join the crew and be the shanks and buggy

Saying people are perverted Bc they think 2 people on the SH can date is weird and totally not true. I personally think some of the SH can date or get together after the end of the journey. My pick for the most realistic is Franky and Robin especially how Oda draws them together on most of the cover stories.

The Monster Trio isn't a special role in the SH crew, that's just the title that the crew give to Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji since they're the three strongest members and the gap between them and the rest of the crew is noticeable, so it's likely not even a set in stone. With Jinbe and potentially Yamato joining the crew who are likely on the level of the MT, it probably won't stay any longer. Besides we haven't seen everything Sanji's got, he might pull off something that would place him above Yamato or equal to them. Maybe we will get the Monster Quartet/Quintet or the Monster Trio will simply not exist anymore after the arc.

It’s been consistent Luffy Zoro and Sanji fighting the top 3 people I don’t think that’ll ever change you don’t see Jinbe fighting a commander and he’s already at his peak not like Sanji who will continue to grow and grow.

I doubt Oda will change up his bread and butter for Yamato.

Fair on the growth part but Jinbe just finished fighting Who's Who, for all we know he's gonna go and help someone fight against a commander (unlikely but it can happen).

We will have to wait and see, Oda could easily pull a fast one on us and do something different.

KingTempest

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
We still tryna put Jinbe up with Sanji?

Sanji just burned Queen and sent him spinning without a raid suit.
Jinbe's struggling with a Tobiroppo.
Wtf

We still tryna put Jinbe up with Sanji?

Sanji just burned Queen and sent him spinning without a raid suit.
Jinbe's struggling with a Tobiroppo.
Wtf
Sanji's hardly done anything to Queen, and this is with Queen's attention elsewhere. Also, why suggest DJ < Raid Suit (ignoring wiki stats)? Even Monster Chopper has done more on-panel damage.

Jinbe took WW down rather quickly the moment he got serious in ending the fight. Shattered bones when we didn't see him using Armament. I wouldn't consider the Tobiroppo weak. I'm sure one of them could pose a considerable threat to one of the Lead Performers like Queen.

Here's the thing. Even if Sanji 1v1s and defeats Queen (Which I still think is ridiculous given this would be a MASSIVE jump), it's questionable to automatically place him above Jinbe.
  • Jinbe matched Ace (and their fight is basically inconclusive--and they cancel eachother out) and ate attacks from Akainu. I do not see how Sanji beating Queen magically puts him higher.

It’s been consistent Luffy Zoro and Sanji fighting the top 3 people I don’t think that’ll ever change you don’t see Jinbe fighting a commander and he’s already at his peak not like Sanji who will continue to grow and grow.
I wouldn't say Jinbe is peaked. Everyone has room to grow until they're dead. Jinbe can still develop new techniques, strengthen his Haki, or even eat a DF (HARD PASS ON THE LAST ONE THOUGH). He's still 2 decades shy of age becoming a problem.

That being said, I doubt he'd get much stronger unless it's plot-convenient.

That being said, I doubt he'd get much stronger unless it's plot-convenient.
So what was the whole point of the previous paragraph… 😑
Sanji's hardly done anything to Queen, and this is with Queen's attention elsewhere. Also, why suggest DJ < Raid Suit (ignoring wiki stats)? Even Monster Chopper has done more on-panel damage.
holy shit the downplay how did monster point do more damage I don’t remember monster point slapping queen around in circles… Nor did he force Queen to use his hybrid.

Let Wanji be Wanji

KingTempest

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Sanji's hardly done anything to Queen, and this is with Queen's attention elsewhere.
image0.png

Chopper couldn't do damn thing to Queen who admitted was fucking around with him for shit n Giggles
Sanji pushed the latter into using his Hybrid Form without using his raid Suit
also let not ac like Yamoto possibly Joining will change the dynamics Sanji will be either >=< Yam at the end of the arc

holy shit the downplay how did monster point do more damage I don’t remember monster point slapping queen around in circles… Nor did he force Queen to use his hybrid.

Let Wanji be Wanji
Chopper's slap had Queen spitting up a lot of blood. Sanji's initial kick caused a nose bleed. Just saying.

I'm not downplaying Sanji at all.

Also the point I'm trying to make about Jinbe is that Oda can make him stronger in future arcs if he feels like it. MY opinion is irrelevant on the matter.

That is one case I'm pointing out. Queen's attention was elsewhere, and frankly, outside of sending Queen flying into Perospero, what damage did Queen suffer outside of a nose-bleed?
  • Sanji's burning strikes clearly didn't last on Queen anyways.

This doesn't show me where this so-called "blood" is...

If you're referring to the burn mark, that vanishes within the VERY SAME PANEL, and we've already established DJ has some Dura negating properties, right?

If you're referring to the burn mark, that vanishes within the VERY SAME PANEL, and we've already established DJ has some Dura negating properties, right?
all am seen is that youre seriously down playing saying, plus spit out blood doesnt mean actual damage sometimes i think?

Or you are lacking a retort.
Lacking a retort… lol ok

You have no retort for the statement that says monster point chopper isn’t doing any damage to queen. Queen didn’t even go into hybrid while fighting chopper so what does that tell you.

Sanji literally rag dolled him and forced him to go hybrid and spam lasers something Chopper didn’t do.

Lol but I’m lacking a retort I just don’t wanna argue against somebody who is clearly wrong and biased.

I just don’t wanna argue against somebody who is clearly wrong and biased.
Okay, Mr. Pot 👌You can stop replying to me now.

all am seen is that youre seriously down playing saying, plus spit out blood doesnt mean actual damage sometimes i think?
No, we consider Sanji's Diable Jambe to have dura negating properties. That's been accepted for a long time. I'm merely pointing out that Sanji has not dealt any notable damage to Queen despite landing 2 direct on-panel hits thanks to Queen giving his attention to something else.

I've even noted that there is a possibility for Sanji winning anyways--just that it would not be enough justification to put him above Jinbe.

This whole "downplaying Sanji" argument really seems one-sided. Don't you guys think you're downplaying Queen--an officer ranked above Jack and the Tobi Roppo--by suggesting Sanji is going to simply 1v1 him?
  • Edit: Dude's the same level of threat as someone like Katakuri, who was an extreme-diff fight for Luffy not too long ago, and Sanji's going to roll up and mid-diff him apparently, considering people are saying "he doesn't need RS to take him out lul"

KingTempest

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
The blood is on his cheek
image0.png

If you're referring to the burn mark, that vanishes within the VERY SAME PANEL,
Don't we scale half the verse to disappearing wounds? (Luffy and Issho)
and we've already established DJ has some Dura negating properties, right?
Yes that leaves a foot sized burn inside of their body, not a Sanji sized blood wound on their face

The blood is on his cheek
image0.png

Don't we scale half the verse to disappearing wounds? (Luffy and Issho)

Yes that leaves a foot sized burn inside of their body, not a Sanji sized blood wound on their face
I literally don't see blood. That's just a burn mark.

I'm only pointing out the injury vanishes instantly. Obviously it hurt him.

Queen is not bleeding, though... Also, didn't Jabra have a massive burn mark from Sanji's first DJ kick? Not a mere foot-print?

I greatly appreciate the support both Brook and Robin are giving each other. Whenever either are at risk of suffering damage, the other moves in to protect them.
  • Brook sees through the illusions first, and warns Robin.
  • Maria destroys the floor, setting it ablaze, and Robin saves Brook and herself with Spider-Net.
  • Maria attacks Robin with her weapon, so Brook destroys the weapon.
  • Maria attempts to attack Robin again, so Brook removes the flame from the ground, allowing Robin an escape.
Now we just need Zoro and Sanji cooperation again.

Raws are out.

Despite the fact that Luffy is still weakened via hunger, it's rather convenient that the destination he set for himself and Momonosuke happens to be a place that has plenty of food laying around to feed tens of thousands in a banquet :)
  • Also, Gear 4th expends a lot of calories, and Luffy has used it 3 times already this battle (2 times were completely pointless imho, but whatever), so him refueling is a good indicator that he's prepping for Gear 4th again... perhaps a new variant (which I expect to be the most power/defense focused over all else)

I think we're gonna get a montage of Luffy recovering his strength in a couple chapters, and he will go to face Kaido the moment all of the lesser enemies are dealt with (only exception I can think of is King and maybe Queen so that Zoro and Sanji are both having their fight for the early stages of Luffy's final round).

Props to Yamato for keeping up with Kaido despite obviously being the weaker of the two. I believe Yamato will last long enough to assist Luffy in the final round (again, I don't think Luffy's quite at that level yet, even if he uses Haoshoku + Gear 4th new form)

Last edited:
I'm I the only Robin-Zoro shipper on here?! Zoro gives off big brother vibes in the crew while Robin gives off big sister vibes.
Nope, I ship them too and could care less who doesn't like it! In fact, my previous avatar would've made it a dead giveaway, especially with my username. But the way you worded you reasoning for shipping them made it weird lol.

Damn, it feels I've been waiting 100 years for Robin to shine like she's doing during this Raid. While she didn't get to one-shot a number, she still got to show she's capable of damaging one. And Oda finally gave made Robin vs. Black Maria a proper 1v1 while giving Brook his own battle against the female Number and the other two subordinates, plus one of Robin's new techniques during this chapter was Issac Netero-esque, which is what I've actually always wanted for Robin. But I never expected for Oda to have it naked, though I should've expected it since it's Oda we're talking about her lmao. Just like I should've expected Black Maria's weapon not to be an actual Wanyudo but for it for it be a human who ate a SMILE fruit and became a human-face dog. Now that Brook's left her incapable of using her weapon, hopefully Black Maria uses haki in the next chapter, which leads to Robin using haki as well...Btw, despite not liking Brook being put in Robin's fight, I did genuinely like his and Robin's bonding moment.

Since the Number's and Black Maria's other two subordinates' eyes are completely white after Robin hits them with her first new attack, didn't she temporarily knock the three of them out? Or did just temporarily stun them?

Another scaling thingy

Numbers could possibly scale above Partial/Hybrid BM since Robin hurt her with a slap but couldn't incap the numbers, and X Drake and G4th Luffy incapped them
I don't know about that.

1) I don't see Black Maria being weaker than one of her subordinates, or any of the Tobi Roppo member being weaker than the Numbers for that matter. Well, maybe Page One.

2) Apoo did say the Numbers' fighting ability are diminished when they're drunk and partying, and the ones Drake and G4th Luffy incapped were intoxicated. Number 9 appeared to be very sober, so that could be why she was just only stunned by Robin's attack.

Let's set off a war ??

The most likely EoS pairings for the monster trio IMO are :

Zoro x Tashigi (with an outside chance of Zoro x Hiyori)
Sanji x Pudding
Luffy x meat

Oda has been pretty consistent about Luffy being asexual and about avoiding romance within the crew

Here's the thing. Even if Sanji 1v1s and defeats Queen (Which I still think is ridiculous given this would be a MASSIVE jump), it's questionable to automatically place him above Jinbe.
I agree to this. In the past, and especially pre-timeskip we had Luffy > Zoro ~ Sanji, currently it's more like Luffy > Zoro > Sanji ~ Jimbe IMO ... the ambiguity has just shifted from being between Zoro and Sanji to being between Sanji and Jimbe

I pretty sure Sanji is >Jinbei mainly with the Raid suit
Oda has been consistent on Zoro and Sanji being the Top two of the crew barring Luffy and Jinbei being on doesn't change that

KingTempest

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I agree to this. In the past, and especially pre-timeskip we had Luffy > Zoro ~ Sanji, currently it's more like Luffy > Zoro > Sanji ~ Jimbe IMO ... the ambiguity has just shifted from being between Zoro and Sanji to being between Sanji and Jimbe
Pre timeskip it was Luffy ~ Zoro ≥ Sanji

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
I pretty sure Sanji is >Jinbei mainly with the Raid suit
Oda has been consistent on Zoro and Sanji being the Top two of the crew barring Luffy and Jinbei being on doesn't change that
If Yamato joins, he will likely be stronger than Sanji.

Sure, the Numbers are 6C then? Paypay has better feats than WW and BM if you don't know.
I said maybe the Numbers were stronger than Page One, I didn't say they were definitely stronger than Page One. Plus, I was joking a bit when said that part. So don't take what I said too seriously.

Pretty sure the crew hierarchy goes calamities > Tobi roppo > numbers

That makes the most sense to me I don’t know why the numbers would be higher than the tobi roppo

I said maybe the Numbers were stronger than Page One, I didn't say they were definitely stronger than Page One. Plus, I was joking a bit when said that part. So don't take what I said too seriously.
I was obviously joking as well, what, do you think i am a Paypaytard?

Well, my ranking for the F6 is more or less:

1-Ulti
2-P1
3-BM
4-Drake
5-WW
6-Sasaki

Edit: Dude's the same level of threat as someone like Katakuri, who was an extreme-diff fight for Luffy not too long ago, and Sanji's going to roll up and mid-diff him apparently, considering people are saying "he doesn't need RS to take him out lul"
So here is where it all started, huh? LMAO

Ahem, back on this chapter, Yamato is doing good, Caribou made me laugh, Brook and Robin had very nice interactions, but the two highlights this chapter to me were Luffy asking momo to turn into a dragon and carry him back to Onigashima while Shinobu is right there, Adult Dragon Momo next chapter.

That and obviously the WING OF THE PIRATE KING (or wings as Zoro isn't able to fly and would logically be the swords of the PK).

That and obviously the WING OF THE PIRATE KING (or wings as Zoro isn't able to fly and would logically be the swords of the PK).
Gonna wait for the Viz to see if Sanji's the wings of the pirate king or a singular wing. Personally I think it would suit better if he was the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.