• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 1011: "The Code of Sweet Beans" (Official Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on this is that Big Mom is a likely psychopathic cannibal, but Kaido is a genocidal nihilist, who will gladly slaughter children
Kaido is just one of those generic villains who are cruel and want to take over the world.
Id say theres more to Kaidos character then you are giving him credit for,
Yeah I do agree with Psycho here. He's not by any means one of Oda's best characters but there is more to it than that. "gladly slaughter children" is just nonesense when he went out of his way to make Momosuke forsake his power and spare him.

Let’s all wait until Kaidos flashback to really speak on his character. The fact that we haven’t gotten one yet is telling me his character is not what it seems, and there’s something huge we don’t know. That would completely change how we see Kaido and maybe the Wano arc as a whole.

To be honest I think Oda’s going to hit it outta the park for his flashback.

Honestly bro if Oda was able to make people feel bad for Kaido even if only a little bit that would be one of his greater achievements.

But yeah while Kaido isnt one of Oda's best or most deep hes still not generic, he honestly has more personality than alot of villains from other works its just compared to other OP villains its not as noticable.

Because Oda generally writes character backstories to flesh out or contextualize character aspects he'd already introduced rather than inventing brand new ones on the fly. For example, Big Mom's sense of misguided altruism and her childish nature had already been introduced beforehand and her backstory simply explained those aspects of her character. The mutual respect and affection among Doflamingo and his crew were established in Punk Hazard, before Doffy's backstory made it clear why it was so ... and so on. In Kaido's case however, all we have really seen is a more or less straightforward villain who respects strength and can be needlessly cruel to civilians (Something I can't actually recall Big Mom ever doing)

Because Oda generally writes character backstories to flesh out or contextualize character aspects he'd already introduced rather than inventing brand new ones on the fly. For example, Big Mom's sense of misguided altruism and her childish nature had already been introduced beforehand and her backstory simply explained those aspects of her character. The mutual respect and affection among Doflamingo and his crew were established in Punk Hazard, before Doffy's backstory made it clear why it was so ... and so on. In Kaido's case however, all we have really seen is a more or less straightforward villain who respects strength and can be needlessly cruel to civilians (Something I can't actually recall Big Mom ever doing)
Bro you said "press X for doubt" and I pressed Y

Good analysis tho

So I think we'll see a Young Kaido betrayed by his first nakamas, and then his change into a person who seeks for strength and him joining Xebec.
Wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be the case, although another interesting aspect to explore would probably be his abiding faith in meritocracy.

I mean if you refuse her invitation she’ll kill your family and send you their heads, in order to live in her kingdom you must give up your literal life force to her and her hunger pangs cause her to commit massive damage and lets be honest she’s probably killed plenty of her subjects during those rampages.

Maybe shes not as bad as Kaido but she definitely doesnt treat civilians great either.

As for Kaido’s backstory while I think it will be a fairly “basic” backstory but I have a feeling Oda will add some kind of twist or extra thing in there to make it less basic. Personally I wanna know more about his sheer devotion to strength cause even other villains who have the whole “I respect strength” thing dont do it to the level Kaido does, hes willing to overlook alot if you are strong. Hes still talking about how he wished the Novas joined him even after all the shit they have done to him.

I mean if you refuse her invitation she’ll kill your family and send you their heads
Yeah but the kind of people she invites to her parties are pirates, mob bosses, and just basically really powerful and evil people. They are not "civilians" by any stretch of the imagination
in order to live in her kingdom you must give up your literal life force to her and her hunger pangs cause her to commit massive damage and lets be honest she’s probably killed plenty of her subjects during those rampages.
The life-force stealing could very likely be a requirement for her ability, she is not in control during her hunger pangs, and all people who are protected by her in her country gladly take the exchange of gaining her protection in exchange for some life force. It is a beneficial exchange for them because the outside world, from what we know, is most likely far more cruel to them

I dunno. So far Kaido seems to have been a sad cruel drunkard, only finding enjoyment in battle, but sitting on his tower of strength without any challenges left, and unable to kill himself, he takes out his frustrations on everyone else, including torching villages with children in them and wanting to start a world war.

But he will likely turn more complicated when we learn more from his backstory.

I think Mr Morj may have already figured out how Kaido's character development will be.

Just the thumbnail makes me think my "Jiren done right" comment makes sense.

I dunno. So far Kaido seems to have been a sad cruel drunkard, only finding enjoyment in battle, but sitting on his tower of strength without any challenges left, and unable to kill himself, he takes out his frustrations on everyone else, including torching villages with children in them and wanting to start a world war.

But he will likely turn more complicated when we learn more from his backstory.
That could be. Perhaps he's a Saitama kind of character: initially weak, becomes incredibly powerful, finds that power boring and looks for worthy opponents, but channels this through a negative way and lets his own frustration and lack of challenge affect him by making him more cruel.

That could be. Perhaps he's a Saitama kind of character: initially weak, becomes incredibly powerful, finds that power boring and looks for worthy opponents, but channels this through a negative way and lets his own frustration and lack of challenge affect him by making him more cruel.
So you think Kaido is gonna be an Evil Saitama without being a Gag character.

Jiren isn't bitter and despairing about being so powerful that he lacks challenges though. He simply trusts himself above all else, and does not think that weaker heroes are reliable to him. Or at least that used to be the case. He still did his job to protect others from threats though.

I could see Kaido as an evil Saitama though. He seems very happy about that Luffy can provide a challenge to him.

Jiren isn't bitter and despairing about being so powerful that he lacks challenges though. He simply trusts himself above all else, and does not think that weaker heroes are reliable to him. Or at least that used to be the case. He still did his job to protect others from threats though.

I could see Kaido as an evil Saitama though. He seems very happy about that Luffy can provide a challenge to him.
Let's say hes kinda a mix of both imho.

All of the Supernova Captains are "rivals" since they are all competing for the same goal, but to be fair, we've seen almost no interaction between them and Luffy until this arc.

Law's basically an ally, Kid was a rival in Udon--but they have no such role at this time, and the others have had no direct clash with Luffy in ANY way--only Zoro. Zoro fought Hawkins, Drake, Apoo, and Killer while Luffy barely had any interaction with them.

How??? It was already established that the Supernovas are all rival pirate captains (except Killer and Zoro) and Luffy, Kidd, and Law are consistently portrayed trying to one up each other.
All of the Supernova Captains are "rivals" since they are all competing for the same goal, but to be fair, we've seen almost no interaction between them and Luffy until this arc.

Law's basically an ally, Kid was a rival in Udon--but they have no such role at this time, and the others have had no direct clash with Luffy in ANY way--only Zoro. Zoro fought Hawkins, Drake, Apoo, and Killer while Luffy barely had any interaction with them.
Basically what Cin said. You can throw the term "rival" loosly here but compare them to Vegeta/Goku, Sasuke/Naruto, etc and the difference is clear. A series with a clear rival dynamic actually feteaures said rival and heavily and the plot would not be the same without them. Rouge, Bonney, Drake, Apoo, and Kidd's stories are very much meh by comparison. Law is better because he has had significant panel time and his prescence was a huge development in the plot with Punk Hazard and Dressrosa and all that has resulted since. He is still not much of a rival though since he's become more of an ally or even surbodinate. He doesn't have any interest in being PK or competing with Luffy. His goal was revenge on Duffy and now learning the history/meaning of the D clan. That almost makes him Robin's rival to be honest.

All of which is a long way of saying the term "rival" has not really be earned by Kidd even if you can technically use it.

Kidd has the potential to develop into a proper rival if he learns to fully use his King's Haki.

Luffy is currently fighting Kaido rather evenly without even using Gear 4 though, so Kidd would really need to make a massive effort in order to try to catch up.

considoring that is because luffy figured out how to properly hit kaido via dura ignore. i think he will just have to awake kings haki, pratice with it until it hhits to the point where he able coat himself with it.

Kidd has the potential to develop into a proper rival if he learns to fully use his King's Haki.

Luffy is currently fighting Kaido rather evenly without even using Gear 4 though, so Kidd would really need to make a massive effort in order to try to catch up.
Agreed. I was really hoping that Kidd would find a way to take on Big Mom (since he also has KH, it is possible for him to apply it as a coating), but it might not happen because of Big Mom’s attachment to Tama. Then again, he might attack her anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back