• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 1001: "Onigashima's Decisive Monster Battle" (Official Release)

Tfw we are arguing over a non-official translation that could be changed making this whole thing irrelevant.

I already said I looked it up and found some places say it was 5 but ive seen others say more, also it says “usually approximately” since when is that concrete?

Also even ignoring Garp we literally know BM and Kaido fought, we actually see it (Or part of it).

Im not saying those 5 arnt expected to make the list, of course those dudes make the list especially Rocks, Roger, WB and Oden but it just seems weird to see Rogers rival and someone we know fought Kaido to a draw not part of that list.
First of all I saw your edit after my post so sorry if that got misconstrude as rude.

Second I hear where you're coming from and like I said I didn't peg Shanks that high or Oda to be a mary sue. regardless Garp always seemed weaker than Roger so kaido's latest addition has more weight than garp chasing him (unsuccessfully).

I suppose the 5 could be a cultural thing? I was always brought up with it meaning 5 MAX or something I can fit in my hand. That is the phrase's origin. It might have fallen out of practice in some parts, I don't know. It hasn't here. I just know what it does mean and Oda specifically chose 5 visages for it.

Plus Kaido can't fit those 5 in his hand . .

What it might mean is that its not specifically thats those men are the only ones that can fight him or beat but those are the ones he remembers the most or had the most issues with.

Even tho he was there we dont even know if Garp and Kaido ever actually clashed so those could just be Kaidos personal toughest fights or something.

We’ll have to wait and see, theres no denying tho that those 5 are obviously all God Tiers so them being their at least isnt a massive shock.

Also for the look it up thing its no problem.

What it might mean is that its not specifically thats those men are the only ones that can fight him or beat but those are the ones he remembers the most or had the most issues with.
Sorry I don't buy that at all from Kaido's word choice.

On another note is it me or does it seem like Shank's nose most resembles Rocks or vise versa. the others don't have even close. Wonder if Oda is alluding to something . . .

The most confusing thing for me is the lack of BM since unlike with Garp, Shiki and others we legitimately see them battle some and that it ends in a draw.

Ngl tho seeing the Mihawk fanboys complaining is pretty funny.

Last edited:
Tbf that wasn't much of a decisive battle. Kaido holds back in general but that "fight" seemed more like their version of a handshake that ended in drinks.

Or maybe... this might have been the people that fought him already.

Rocks and Whitebeard during the Rocks crew (everyone fought each other there).
Oden (for obvious reasons)
Shanks (Pre Marineford)
Roger (Against Rocks Pirates).

He probably didn't put Linlin cause she's not an enemy. Garp maybe fought some other members of the Rocks crew too.

If we are going to use that as proof that Shanks > Mihawk then no problem, i couldn't care less for Kaido's place in the scaling chain.
What? I dont see why we would take this out on a Character.

I definitely wouldnt use that as legitimately reasoning to put Shanks above Mihawk, we dont even know if Kaido and Mihawk have met.

Using it to say these are the top 5 of the verse is already wrong, just go one more step and say the guy who was stopped by Vista isn't in the same level as the redhead who is stronger than Kaido.

Everyone and their mothers knows vista isn’t on mihawks level.
Meh, i really don't want to go into this discussion.

failure to do anything is evidence Killer is not weak . . . ??? Yeah no. He's still trash
Zoro also failed.

Also, Zoro counts as a hypocrite? All that "this is the new world, we can't toy here", "i am saving energy to fight Kaido" and etc, but his first attack was a Rengoku Onogiri, tf? I was waiting for a Ichidai Sanzen Sekai or something like that, he is really testing a ******* Yonkou's strength?

"Limited power mimicry (Was able to copy Kin'emon fire-cutting style)" works perfectly for me, non-limited power mimicry would be for characters that have copied styles more frequently, have rules about what they can copy or can copy supernatural things.
I don't think Zoro used Power Mimicry. He did have ever since Punk Hazard to learn how to cut fire, and could have easily taken time to practice the technique up until the end of Act 2 Wano.

He simply learned the technique by watching Kin'emon. We don't take every case of a character learning an attack or style over time from their "mentor" and refer it as Power Mimicry.

----

(Now to talk about this chapter :3 which felt very fast)

In regards to the shadows Kaido saw, we all know for a fact he has seen or battled those 5 individuals in the past (Rocks being his captain, Roger having fought Rocks, Whitebeard being a Yonko and legend at the level of Roger, Oden nearly defeating Kaido, and Shanks for unknown reasons--presuming they didn't fight prior to the Paramount war).
  • It makes no sense for Garp NOT to be among the shadows since he defeated Rocks alongside Roger... But this can easily be dismissed as "Kaido only counting Pirate Legends... not Marines", otherwise we'd definitely see Garp and Sengoku.
  • We also don't see Shiki or other notable pirates from that era most likely due to them not having an in-canon appearance (Episode 0 is still a mixed bag).
  • There's also Big Mom, but that can be dismissed as "She's literally right there".
It's totally likely that Kaido refers to those 5 specifically because they are people who most likely "defeated him". After all, if you look at Oden, he was supposed to have killed Kaido and WOULD HAVE if not for cheap tactics. If anything I think this panel is specifically hyping up Shanks since his appearance is the most "recent" looking one since 4 of those characters looked as they are shown literal decades ago (3 of those mentioned died decades ago as well), if that makes sense. Maybe Shanks truly did force Kaido to retreat from combat 2 years prior.

Luffy seemed to definitely dodge the Thunder Bagua, but still got grazed (or the attack just hit his nose and nothing else). Either way, he should not scale fully to that attack. His Kong Gun was ineffective against Kaido, but this is simply because he wasn't using his special Ryuo/Goken attack.

I'm still calling it: Law will absolutely give his life for Luffy. He's so flustered. This chapter just confirms it to me.

Luffy, Law, and Kid are definitely the top 3 Supernova in the ladder, prove me wrong tbh. Zoro's #4 tho :)

Kaido is definitely dismissing Zoro and Killer. While Zoro will obviously prove to get stronger in this particular fight, idk what Killer is going to do since he's never been hinted to have a special ability of any kind.

Law made a reference to "killing Kaido from the inside", so perhaps we'll see him use Gamma Knife one more time? I wonder how Kaido would recover from that since unlike Doflamingo, he doesn't have any known restoration potential.

Also, all 3 attacks at the end didn't seem to affect Kaido, even Luffy's Kong Gun. Red Roc used fire + Ryuo, so I suppose this means Ryuo amps Gear 3rd > normal Gear 4th.

Last edited:
What Kaido says:

"Only five people can fight me"

Shows images of five people

What Cin claims to read

"There are at least five poeple who can whoop my ass, plus Marines, plus Linlin, plus Shiki any other character I didn't mention you like, plus your grandma, plus your grandma's dog. I'm scared of goldfish too. "

Well Kaido may have some form of regen from his fruit or even just naturally.

We also don't see Shiki or other notable pirates from that era most likely due to them not having an in-canon appearance (Episode 0 is still a mixed bag).
We see Shiki’s shadow when we see the Rocks crew or at least the major members which is as much as we have on Rocks.

a couple take aways and notes,
How is everyone getting beat kaido from "that attack damaged me? Only a handful of people can fight me?" it truly seems more like these are 5 pirates with Haki advanced enough to actually harm kaido in any meaningful way. unlike the scabbards who didnt actually do much it seems.
luffy def got tagged partially. theirs blood in the first panel, luffy gives an ugh of pain and theres a sting sound effect in the third panel. and hes holding his head on the top and theres still blood. def more than a nose and seems like it more than grazed him. obviously didnt take full contact tho
kaido speed blitzes luffy like twice this chapter. so thats impressive.
most likely cant calc it for any good results but law luffy and kidd all tank one of big moms attacks from prometheus so thats interesting even if it was played for laughs

Yeah I do agree Kaido isnt specifically saying those prople can beat them just that they can fight him, boe obviously some of them can/have beaten him but his sentence is all about who can go two to two with him and cause legitimate damage.

What Kaido says:

"Only five people can fight me"

Shows images of five people

What Cin claims to read

"There are at least five poeple who can whoop my ass, plus Marines, plus Linlin, plus Shiki any other character I didn't mention you like, plus your grandma, plus your grandma's dog. I'm scared of goldfish too. "
No? he claims "There are few/some/a handful of people" who can "fight him". Not specifically "5", smh.

You don't find it particularly strange that Garp specifically isn't noted despite being the man to supposedly take down Rocks and rival Roger?

Seems strange to claim Kaido believes only those 5 individuals were ever a threat to him. Big Mom is clearly his equal, Garp was a rival of Roger's (and took down Rocks with him), and Sengoku is hinted (not confirmed, obviously) to be Garp's equal--if not at least comparable.

Last edited:
No? he claims "There are few/some/a handful of people" who can "fight him". Not specifically "5", smh.

You don't find it particularly strange that Garp specifically isn't noted despite being the man to supposedly take down Rocks and rival Roger?

Seems strange to claim Kaido believes only those 5 individuals were ever a threat to him. Big Mom is clearly his equal, Garp was a rival of Roger's (and took down Rocks with him), and Sengoku is hinted (not confirmed, obviously) to be Garp's equal--if not at least comparable.
Is mine the only country that still teaches what a handful means?

As I mentioend before I personally ranked Garp higher than he should be, but I never used that headcanon as evidence because that would be bias. Garp only chased Roger (unsuccessfully); defeeated Rocks (With Roger, so to what extent he helped was unclear until Kaido just told us which was the muscle there); and beating Shiki (Again as part of a team effort and only after Roger had destroyed Shiki's military meanign Roger again helped Garp). That is "the Hero's" entire resume.

I already mentioned the Big Mom "fight" and what I think of it.

At the end of the day this day really change rankings muc? Who thought those guys weren't at or near the top?

Someone can get the original and see which word was there? Not every language has a version of "handful" that means exactly 5.

Yeah I dont think we’ve even gotten the official translation yet right? So like I said earlier this argument could be irrelevant.

Is mine the only country that still teaches what a handful means?
Handful doesn't mean "5", but ple~ase enlighten me.

Point is those specific 5 can't logically be the only people Kaido has ever gotten into a serious fight with, unless of course Garp never engaged him personally, he never met Sengoku, and somehow Big Mom is much weaker than him--or he views her as such.

Point is those specific 5 can't logically be the only people Kaido has ever gotten into a serious fight with, unless of course Garp never engaged him personally, he never met Sengoku, and somehow Big Mom is much weaker than him--or he views her as such.
Can people please take big mom out of this? Big mom is LITERALLY standing next to him in an alliance.

Don't know what difference it would make (or if the handful comment was effected) but ive learned from the French scans & Japanese scans that the English scans & translations are inaccurate in places; for example the katakana sfx have been completely removed from the English scans in places.

So as usual it is best to wait for the official release.

1) HANDful refers to a maximum of 5 of something (Referencing the fingers) OR a literal amount which fill the hand. Do enlighten me how Kaido can hold Roger, Oden, Rocks, Shanks, AND whitebeard in his hand.

2) That OR those 5 really are the only ones and you're just upset Garp et al are not as powerful as you beleived. Were you like this when people pointed out Garp wasn't WSM many years ago?

Also this is kind of ridiculous. You're twisting yourself into knots over Garp MAYBE not being top 6!? We still need more translations at this point and your making up stuff for what Kaido meant but didn't say. I don't care, it was still an enjoyable chapter for me even if the translations come out different.

Did anyone think that the translator used "handful" exactly because there were only five? It isn't like he didn't see the picture when translating or if he really cared to how it would affect power levels. Again, unless japanese has a word for "at most five" whatever the english version says is useless.

Back