• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece: Canonicity of 3D2Y there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canonicity of 3D2Y

In a interview conducted with the assistant producer of the 3d2y movie, it was stated that the movie was an addition to luffy’s 2 year training period and followed the original story line .Its also stated that Oda was okay with this addition which further proves that it is indeed a canon movie.

Source
[http://www.onepiecepodcast.com/2014/08/13/interview-with-3d2y-assistant-producer-teramoto/]

IMG_4648.png

To further support this Oda was the one who drawn Brynndi World and that he was the one of the prisoners who escaped from Impel Down’s Level 6 .

This post from @MonkeyOfLife in the general discussion thread is probably relevant here:
Yee 3D2Y is canon...

<企画・高木明梨須(フジテレビ)コメント>

ルフィの“再生物語”です! 頂上決戦で兄・エースを失い、仲間とも離れ離れになってしまったルフィ。仲間と再会するまでの2年間は、原作でもアニメでも今まで闇に閉ざされてきました。その間、ルフィにいったい何があったのか!? 「修行」「覇気の習得」「3D2Yという暗号」数々の秘密を今回の放送で明かします! 夢のために、仲間のために戦うルフィの姿が、見る人に元気と希望を与える内容になっています。絶対に見逃せない完全新作エピソード! ぜひ子供、大人揃って見てほしいです。

Deepl:
<Comment from Akinasu Takagi (Fuji Television Network, Inc.)

This is Luffy's "rebirth story"! Luffy lost his brother Ace in the Summit Battle and was separated from his friends. The two years until he was reunited with his friends have been shrouded in darkness in both the original story and the anime. What happened to Luffy during that time? In this broadcast, we will reveal the secrets of his "training," "mastery of the High Aura," and "the 3D2Y code! Luffy's fight for his dreams and for his friends will give you energy and hope. This is a completely new episode that you absolutely cannot miss! I hope all children and adults will watch it together.

Google translate:
<Comment from Planning/Akarisu Takagi (Fuji TV)>

It's Luffy's "playback story"! Luffy lost his brother Ace in the final battle and was separated from his companions. The two years until he reunites with his friends have been shrouded in darkness, both in the original manga and in the anime. What happened to Luffy during that time!? The image of Luffy fighting for his friends for the sake of his dreams gives viewers energy and hope. A completely new episode that you can't miss! I would like children and adults to see it together.
I think

Yee, I agree

There's also this as well
The two years until he was reunited with his friends have been shrouded in darkness in both the original story and the anime. What happened to Luffy during that time? In this broadcast, we will reveal the secrets of his "training," "mastery of the High Aura," and "the 3D2Y code!
このほか、レイリー、バギー、Mr.3、ミホーク、ペローナ、サカズキ元帥など、このところ原作で登場していない豪華メンバーも活躍します!

マリンフォードでの頂上戦争で兄・エースを失い、仲間とも離れ離れになってしまったルフィが、仲間と再会するまでの2年間の修業時代にいったい何があったのか!? ルフィが暗号〝3D2Y〟に託した思いとは!?
TVアニメ放送15周年という節目に、原作でもアニメでも描かれなかった幻のエピソードが、ついに解禁!!
8月30日(土)の放送をお楽しみに!!
————————
In addition, Rayleigh, Buggy, Mr. 3, Mihawk, Perona, General Sakazuki, and other splendid members who have not appeared in the original story recently will also play an active role!

Luffy lost his brother Ace in the Summit War at Marine Ford, and was separated from his friends. What was Luffy's wish entrusted in the code "3D2Y"?
On the occasion of the 15th anniversary of the TV anime broadcast, a fantastic episode that was never depicted in either the original story or the anime will finally be unveiled!
Please look forward to the broadcast on August 30 (Sat)!
寺本:今、頂上決戦から2年後の新世界編としてTVシリーズが放送されています。その2年後と2年前をつなぐ重要なエピソードのひとつが原作&テレビ通じて初解禁です。
8月30日という夏休みの時期に、本当に多くの人に見てもらって盛り上がっていただければうれしいですね!

勝平:〝3D2Y〟を見ておくと、麦わらの一味が全員そろったときにきっとグッと込み上げる想いがあると思います。
—————————
Teramoto: The TV series is now airing as the New World Arc, two years after the Summit Battle. One of the important episodes that connects the two years after and the two years before is being unveiled for the first time in both the original story and the TV series.
I hope many people will watch it and get excited during their summer vacation on August 30!

Katsuhira: If you watch "3D2Y," I am sure you will have a strong feeling when all the members of the Straw Hat gang get together.
勝平:寺本さん、よろしくお願いします。

寺本:よろしくお願いします。

勝平:昨年までの 2時間スペシャルは「エピソードオブ」シリーズでしたよね。
ナミ、ルフィ、去年はメリーだったと思います。今回は〝3D2Y〟と、変化球ですね?

寺本:かつてはエピソードオブナミやメリーなどと製作してきましたが、今回は新たな試みとして原作でも明かされてない部分、〝3D2Y〟にも込められているルフィの2年間のお話を作ってみよう、というのが出発点です。
————————
Katsudaira: Mr. Teramoto, nice to meet you.

Teramoto:Thank you for having me.

Katsuhira: Until last year, the two-hour special was an "episode of" series, wasn't it?
Nami, Luffy, and last year, I think it was Merry. This time, it's "3D2Y," and that's a change, isn't it?

Teramoto: In the past, we have produced "Episodes of Nami" and "Merry," but this time, as a new attempt, we decided to make a story about Luffy's two years, which is not revealed in the original story and is also included in "3D2Y".
寺本:「エピソードオブ」としてのいいところもあり、ただの“オリジナル話”ではないスペシャルなものにしたかったんです。
いろいろ考えたんですが、プロデューサーや脚本家の方々が中心となって打ち合わせをして、2年間の修業時代のルフィについてはこれまで映像化されてこなかったと思ったんです。
フジテレビ、そして集英社の担当さんにも、制作の初期段階から入ってもらい、打ち合わせをしました。

勝平:修業中の2年間をテーマにしたのはいいですね!原作でもアニメでも深く掘り下げていない部分ですもんね。

寺本:尾田先生には今回はこれで行かせてくださいと皆でお話をさせて頂いて、OKを頂けました。せっかくの土曜プレミアムなので、今回はルフィを中心に物語を描こう!っていうことになりました。
——————————
Teramoto: I wanted to make it a special story that was not just an "original story," but also a good "episode of" story.
We thought about it a lot, but after meetings led by the producers and scriptwriters, we realized that Luffy's two-year training period had never been filmed before.
We had Fuji Television and Shueisha's staff participate in the meetings from the early stages of production.

Katsuhira: I like the theme of the two years of training! It's a part that neither the original story nor the anime delves deeply into.

Teramoto: We all talked to Oda-sensei and asked him to let us go with this theme this time, and he gave us the OK. Since it was a Saturday premium, we decided to draw the story with Luffy at the center. We decided to do it that way.
Which are all from the official one piece website

Last edited:
Got on here ready to disagree and to be honest-- if those interviews are legit (both the OP's post and Monkey's). It DOES fit in the timeline and contradicts nothing, and Oda approved it with the intent of it giving context about the 3D2Y things. I don't see why not.

Last edited:
Got on here ready to disagree and to be honest-- if those interviews are legit (both the OP's post and Monkey's). It DOES fit in the timeline and contradicts nothing, and Oda approved it with the intent of it giving context about the 3D2Y things. I don't see why not.
Power scaling wise we can post time skip Luffy 600x stronger than pre time skip and 100x faster

possibly 100xftl

Luffy first use red hawk in this movie
And it was explained how he use it
It match with explanation oda gave in vivre card

I forgor about the Moa Moa shit
How about you wait for it to get accepted first before we start throwing big numbers- People will disagree based on nothing but knowing it's intended for an upgrade
I am going to read the novel till it get accepted

I'm not sure how this is any kind of support for canonicity; they asked Oda to draw a design and he drew a design for them. Doesn't make the character himself canon.

From what I can tell this isn't written or supervised by Oda. Just because Oda said it was okay for them go ahead with it doesn't mean he approved of it being considered canon to his manga. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave the go-ahead with lots of filler ideas but that doesn't mean they're canon.

Maybe it can be considered "canon" towards the anime series, but I would not use this as the basis to judge the manga's scaling.

Just because Oda said it was okay for them go ahead with it doesn't mean he approved of it being considered canon to his manga

He specifically approves of it being canon to the timeskip gap because he knew it was intended for that, though.

"The two years until he reunites with his friends have been shrouded in darkness, both in the original manga and in the anime."

"A fantastic episode that was never depicted in either the original story or the anime will finally be unveiled!"

"we decided to make a story about Luffy's two years, which is not revealed in the original story and is also included in "3D2Y"." 3D2Y refers to the manga chapter that kicks off Luffy's off-screen time on Rusukaina. So it's meant to be included in that gap.

Oda didn't supervise the Uta flashback episodes either and as far as we're concerned those are canon to the 4BILLION stuff.

I'm just stating my view on it. I don't think it should be considered canon. It wasn't written by Oda and just because the anime creators decided to make a story of that time period which wasn't shown in the manga doesn't mean that's exactly how it happened in the manga.

That's the thing though, it specifically refers to the manga timegap, not just the anime.
It says that the events are "shrouded in darkness in both manga and anime".

That doesn't mean the story they've made reveals what happened in the manga. It should only be considered viable for the anime at best.

I'm just wondering why it can't be used, it doesn't really contradict anything after all.
And we have characters like Shiki who are canon, but have 1 or 2 appearances in the manga which are just flashbacks.
World might not be different.

As much as it pains me to say this, IMO it's only canon to the anime.

It's like how the only DB films that are canon to the Toei anime but not the manga are canon because they fit in the story's timeline, but it doesn't apply to the manga.

It being only canon to the anime is pure headcanon

It's an addiction to both the anime and manga which is stated, and literally references/connects to the main story line of the canon characters and events
In addition, Rayleigh, Buggy, Mr. 3, Mihawk, Perona, General Sakazuki, and other splendid members who have not appeared in the original story recently will also play an active role!
That doesn't mean the story they've made reveals what happened in the manga.
This literally says it
Teramoto: The TV series is now airing as the New World Arc, two years after the Summit Battle. One of the important episodes that connects the two years after and the two years before is being unveiled for the first time in both the original story and the TV series.

Last edited:
I agree that Oda giving them the greenlight to make the movie doesn't mean it's canon, but since there's a good amount of other stuff supporting that it's canon I still think this is a valid change.

@MonkeyOfLife; I've stated my view on it. Referencing the main storyline is not enough for me.
It doesn't just reference the main storyline...

It literally says that it connects to the original story which is in between the two year timeskip... How is that not enough for you?

It doesn't just reference the main storyline...

It literally says that it connects to the original story which is in between the two year timeskip... How is that not enough for you?
It doesn't say it connects to the original story. It says it "connects the two years after and the two years before".

As far as the original story is concerned, the events in the timeskip haven't been covered yet. There's no confirmation that it lines up with the TV special at all. If we do get confirmation later on, such as references to the events or characters, then fine, but until then I am 100% against this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back