• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I saw that the Magic The Gathering Profiles were pretty outdated and lacked a lot of scans. The main focus of this CRT is changing The Planeswalker Profile however a lot of additions to it require changes to Nicol Bolas's Profile as well.

Attack Potency (Nicol Bolas)
For Nicol Bolas, his Multiversal+ Attack Potency should be replaced with what is below.

At least Multi-Solar System level (Nyx is the night sky of the Plane Theros and is home to the gods. Like the night sky, Nyx is stated to contain stars, with The Gods inhabiting its constellations. This is because The Gods of Theros have their physical forms entwined with Nyx, and they are displayed as cosmic entities made up of interstellar dust and constellations. It was stated by Kruphix, The Eldest of The Gods that if Nicol Bolas ever came to their plane, even The Gods of Theros may be powerless to stop him and Theros would be destroyed.)

High Universe level, possibly Universe+ (Upon awakening their spark an Oldwalker becomes one with the Universe and obtains infinite power through their sparks. Nicol Bolas, in particular, is capable of creating and destroying entire worlds, in which among the infinite planes that exist some are described as being Infinite is size. He is stated to be a threat to the entire Multiverse which contains an infinite array of planes.)

Speed (Nicol Bolas)

Infinite
(Could move so fast that it hinted he warped space and could move so quickly he appeared to be everywhere at once. That scene of him being everywhere is him traveling across the entire length and breadth of The Multiverse which is stated to be infinite.)

Stamina (Nicol Bolas)
Just a cleanup really with scans.

Infinite (Oldwalkers had infinite power through their sparks and an endless supply of magic energy at their disposal.)

Abilities (Nicol Bolas)
Abilities (Nicol Bolas) Test of Metal
Resistances (Nicol Bolas)
Nicol Bolas
At the end with all of these changes and additions, I made a Test Blog Profile Page which would be the end result, plus some formating and changes.

The Planeswalker
For The Planeswalker, I made a Test Blog Profile Page that I wish to replace the current one with. It applies the changes, abilities, and resistances above while also reformating the current Planeswalker Profile.

Last edited:
Hello! Glad to see someone who cares about MTG around here.

How much of the above is new and how much is simply reformatting?

Hello! Glad to see someone who cares about MTG around here.

How much of the above is new and how much is simply reformatting?
A lot of the Abilities & Resistances are new for Nicol Bolas. A lot of things here can also be applied to other Planeswalkers as well, so I plan on going through the entire MTG Verse at some point.

For The Planeswalker is mostly reformatting, removing abilities that they simply don't have. And if the changes above for Nicol Bolas are applied I was going to reformat his profile a bit to make it up to date.

I like most of this, though I'd like to know what's being removed from The Planeswalker.

I can't really comment since my knowledge of the verse is very limited, but all these scans should be referenced. (It's already a huge improvement, but while we are at it we can complete the work).

I like most of this, though I'd like to know what's being removed from The Planeswalker.
Mostly small stuff like Hair Manipulation
I can't really comment since my knowledge of the verse is very limited, but all these scans should be referenced. (It's already a huge improvement, but while we are at it we can complete the work).
I'll do that now.

Nice, I'm pretty sure Low 1-C was already accepted from people like Ultima, should call him here anyway though lol

Made a Test Profile for Nicol Bolas, and added revisions for both it and The Planeswalker Test Profile.

This is from Test of Metal, which isn't canon, or is at least ignored entirely by every following story in MtG continuity, effectively retconning it.

You'd like imagine famous Clockworker Tezzeret and Bolas would use their super causality powers at least once up to and during War of the Spark.
Rifts Nicol Bolas created could affect Infinite Time Streams,
This isn't really AP, and any actual destructive effects of this was via a domino effect due to Dominaria's importance to the structural integrity of the Multiverse. I was going to tackle this in a separate CRT - most Oldwalkers being Multiversal is extremely silly when it is brought up repeatedly in earlier books and official texts how much trouble they have creating or destroying singular artificial planes.

Acausality (Type 4; Planeswalkers are unrestricted and unbound from every world and Fate as a whole.)
This is an extremely vague promotional text that doesn't really give enough context to apply as any specific power or resistance.

Limited Nonexistent Physiology (Nature Type; 1, Aspect Type; 1, 2, 3 & 4: Oldwalkers can go into and out of existence with a thought.)
This isn't talking about them literally stopping existing, this is them talking about being able to planeswalk, with "existence" being whatever plane they're on.

Time Travel (Nicol Bolas is capable of using Clockworking which allows one to move through time as if it was just another spatial dimension.)
Probability Manipulation (Through Clockworking one can take themselves and their enemy to another timeline, picking and choosing the result of any event. Though the less improbable it is, the harder it is to do.)
Test of Metal feats for Bolas should be in a seperate key if it isn't already, see above.

with only beings such as Planeswalkers capable of surviving without being instantly killed.)
This is highly inconsistent and dependent on the author writing it. Some non-walkers could survive brief exposure to the Eternities, like Xantcha.

Rest looks ok

This is from Test of Metal, which isn't canon, or is at least ignored entirely by every following story in MtG continuity, effectively retconning it.
What makes it non-cannon exactly?
This is highly inconsistent and dependent on the author writing it. Some non-walkers could survive brief exposure to the Eternities, like Xantcha.

Rest looks ok
Should I remove it then?

Nice, I'm pretty sure Low 1-C was already accepted from people like Ultima, should call him here anyway though lol

The Rifts Nicol Bolas created could affect Infinite Time Streams, each containing an alternate Multiverse
Doesn't seem to be AP, like Dargoo said, given it's just talking about the rift bringing in things from alternate timelines into the present one. I am not sure how that second scan implies each Time Stream contains an alternate multiverse.

Among the Infinite Planes and Infinite Possibilities, Artifacts such as The Shard exist that are described as a jumble of infinities split off from a greater infinity, containing Universes and Realities
This seems to be referring to how a structure containing a dozen universes (Each infinite) is smaller than a structure comprised of infinitely-many, or in other words, 2-C vs 2-A. "Jumble of infinities split off from a greater infinity" doesn't really need to indicate a 5-dimensional structure, in that case.

Powerful Oldwalkers like Nicol Bolas can ignore Time & Space and conform it to their will. Nicol Bolas is capable of using clockworking which allows one to move through time as if it was just another spatial dimension.
The first two scans aren't really Immeasurable speed, yeah, since they're just showing Bolas being stopped in time and then forcibly undoing that with his greater power, from the looks of it. The fourth one could qualify, but the "time is just another spatial dimension" here seems to be specifically referring to how easily they can teleport throughout it. It would be Immeasurable if they could actually physically move through the timeline in the same way we can move through the usual three directions.

What makes it non-cannon exactly?
Mtg’s canon is weird in that they have officially released stories that do not line up with the "main" continuity - an example of this is the Urza-Mishra comic where Urza and Mishra banish Gix to Phyrexia after a confrontation with their power stones, when this does not happen at all in the books, nor is this something confirmed in later stories.

Test of Metal doesn’t line up with the main continuity that follows it. Some examples of contradictions just off the top of my head are Jace and Liliana not knowing Tezzeret was alive after the events of Agents of Artifice (see: Kaladesh story), Silas Renn not being a disembodied head and still vibing on Esper (See: War of the Spark sequel book). Generally a lot of substantial stuff happens in Test of Metal that should have huge effects on the plot going forward but are just not considered by the more recent story team.

Should I remove it then?
just the bit that blanket states that they do that to all non walkers. From what I’m aware of basically none of the writers agree on how the Blind Eternities actually functions - there was a whole few chapters in Planeswalker that were dedicated to explaining how they don’t have adverse affects on inorganic things and the author basically described it like regular space. I’ll see how consistent it is when I read through the rest of the mtg novels.

Doesn't seem to be AP, like Dargoo said, given it's just talking about the rift bringing in things from alternate timelines into the present one. I am not sure how that second scan implies each Time Stream contains an alternate multiverse.

This seems to be referring to how a structure containing a dozen universes (Each infinite) is smaller than a structure comprised of infinitely-many, or in other words, 2-C vs 2-A. "Jumble of infinities split off from a greater infinity" doesn't really need to indicate a 5-dimensional structure, in that case.
Ok, then I'll have to find another way to do their AP thanks for the feedback.
Mtg’s canon is weird in that they have officially released stories that do not line up with the "main" continuity - an example of this is the Urza-Mishra comic where Urza and Mishra banish Gix to Phyrexia after a confrontation with their power stones, when this does not happen at all in the books, nor is this something confirmed in later stories.

Test of Metal doesn’t line up with the main continuity that follows it. Some examples of contradictions just off the top of my head are Jace and Liliana not knowing Tezzeret was alive after the events of Agents of Artifice (see: Kaladesh story), Silas Renn not being a disembodied head and still vibing on Esper (See: War of the Spark sequel book). Generally a lot of substantial stuff happens in Test of Metal that should have huge effects on the plot going forward but are just not considered by the more recent story team.
Oh, I see, I wasn't aware there were continuity issues in magic considering how little you hear about the lore. I guess I'll have to do a bit of digging to find reasonable AP and Speed feats for Oldwalkers.

You'd like imagine famous Clockworker Tezzeret and Bolas would use their super causality powers at least once up to and during War of the Spark.
Given how terribly written the War of the Spark novels were and how dumb it was on all sides, I definitely wouldn't use "the writers would've used that ability" as an argument against any of the points above. Then again, Test of Metal pretty much isn't canon, so throw it out either way.

I didn't know some of the feats above were from Test of Metal because I didn't read it, naturally those should be kept off, or regarded to a second key, or listed as a "possibly"? Given I don't recall if they were officially stated to be non-canon, rather than just conveniently ignored.

Otherwise, most of the arguments would make sense, though the alternate rifts and timelines created does seem concrete enough to me.

how terribly written the War of the Spark novels were and how dumb it was on all sides, I definitely wouldn't use "the writers would've used that ability" as an argument against any of the points above.
You could replace War of the Spark with any story arc with Bolas or Tezzeret after ToM. Clockworking would just break whatever story it is introduced to, it’s just that busted of an ability.

Like ok Weisman novels bad, but it does not change how multiple sets of authors who Wizards have enlisted have chosen to outright ignore ToM while specifically referencing the other planeswalker novels like Agents of Artifice and Purifying Fire.

Heck, Test of Metal even contradicts the novel it is a direct sequel to (Agents of Artifice), whose author has commented that Baltrice was basically declared as dead at the end of AoA (despite her being very alive in ToM) and explained that ToM doesn't mesh well with what they wrote.

Given I don't recall if they were officially stated to be non-canon, rather than just conveniently ignored.

It's very very rare for Wizards to outright call something noncanon. Oftentimes when something is declared noncanon it's actually the writers for the media themselves (i.e. the Ravnica comics) and not Wizards.

But there's obviously material that authors who write for MtG have collectively chosen not to recognize.

You could replace War of the Spark with any story arc with Bolas or Tezzeret after ToM. Clockworking would just break whatever story it is introduced to, it’s just that busted of an ability.

Like ok Weisman novels bad, but it does not change how multiple sets of authors who Wizards have enlisted have chosen to outright ignore ToM while specifically referencing the other planeswalker novels like Agents of Artifice and Purifying Fire.

Heck, Test of Metal even contradicts the novel it is a direct sequel to (Agents of Artifice), whose author has commented that Baltrice was basically declared as dead at the end of AoA (despite her being very alive in ToM) and explained that ToM doesn't mesh well with what they wrote.

It's very very rare for Wizards to outright call something noncanon. Oftentimes when something is declared noncanon it's actually the writers for the media themselves (i.e. the Ravnica comics) and not Wizards.

But there's obviously material that authors who write for MtG have collectively chosen not to recognize.
Yeah that's what I said.

This isn't really AP, and any actual destructive effects of this was via a domino effect due to Dominaria's importance to the structural integrity of the Multiverse. I was going to tackle this in a separate CRT - most Oldwalkers being Multiversal is extremely silly when it is brought up repeatedly in earlier books and official texts how much trouble they have creating or destroying singular artificial planes.
Could this be a Yhwach situation, like could we put down 2-A Via Environmental Destruction? Also, do the new AP reasonings seem fair?

Not high on environmental destruction, personally.

Tbh i just agree with everything that isn’t accepted by staff as well. But you would be better off going to DebatesJungles for Magic The Gathering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back