• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New P&A Addition: Conversion (Vampirism, Werewolfism, Zombiesm, etc.)

I would prefer if Conversion turns into a section of the Transmutation page, but we are still talking.

Request to add Conversion to the wiki's listing of Powers and Abilities.:
  • This is one of the most abundant powers in fiction, dating back to classical folklore
  • Many characters have this specific power and not any of the other complementary powers suggested by its replacement P&A
    • This leads to the user having a better understanding of the character's powerset and not be confused by the otherwise face value assumptions.
  • Currently this ability is listed very unevenly, as Transmutation, Transformation, Biological Manipulation, Corruption, Matter Manipulation, etc. etc. I know context is a factor... but alot of these seem moreso just... puzzled as to what to list this ability as, independent of verse mechanic.
Noting all these, I feel most others will be in agreement with this thread
I feel like corruption fits this better. BUT all those can fit depending how its done. So is conversion really needed if the ability is not a blanket ability but can be different from others in different series?

Conversion could be made into a type of Corruption, but it really isn't Transmutation.

ngl

fee like this covers conversion
  • Type 1 – Physical Corruption: Using the ability to corrupt the opponent through physical contact. Users of this ability normally have to put a piece of themselves, or the corrupting material if it's not necessarily part of the user, into the target. The corrupting in this case normally acts like a disease, in that it spreads throughout the victim. The ability can potentially be used to mess with any part of the target, be it their body or their mind, though the soul is normally left untouched.

Corruption does not fit at all with transforming somebody into something else i.m.h.o.

Corruption does not fit at all with transforming somebody into something else i.m.h.o.
Well, Conversion is textbook type 1 Corruption.

While Transmutation is turning something into something else; it isn't the same as infecting them the way a vampire does. I wouldn't consider Buu turning a character into chocolate to be the same as a zombie biting someone (which is one of the examples for conversion).

I still think that transforming others into living creatures seems like a sub-power of how we currently define transmutation. Sorry.

Also, we would avoid a massive revision project by handling it in this manner.

I do kinda agree with Quasi that Corruption generally covers "turning someone into a different living thing" such as a Vampire, Werewolf, Zombie, or other.

Well, keeping it as Corruption type 1 wouldn't even need revision at all; since that's what we label it as for now.

And while turning someone into, well, a frog is transmutation. Infecting someone with zombieness to make them undeads isn't turning them into something else entirely.

We currently by far most frequently classify transforming other beings as transmutation, not corruption, as far as I am aware.

Well, going by my experience, transmutation has very frequently been defined as what is suggested regarding conversion.

Yea definitely.

Physical Transmutation:
Non Physical Transmutation:
Conceptual Transmutation:

Conceptual transmutation fits much better under Conceptual Manipulation, and non-physical transmutation doesn't quite seem to fit either.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Biological Transmutation/Conversion" and
"Inorganic Transmutation".

I think that transforming somebody else into a car can technically fit under both, but I don't remember so well.

pretty sure some of these can be covered under unholy manipulation, Corruption, of Biological Manipulation.

Though I don't disagree with the idea due to the idea of being more specific with the power.

I personally think that biological manipulation, transmutation, and matter manipulation already overlap with each other in this area. We do not need even more overcomplication of and overlap for the issue.

P&A is helpful but community effort would need to be applied, which at the time wasn't available, this was the staff consensus.

Suggestion was given that to compensate for urgent page edits, new P&A could be linked onto the Transmutation page as a subtype, as such allowing application process to be far simpler. This wasn't discussed iirc.

Okay, and what did I think, and which staff members commented here previously?

Well, maybe we could add types to the Transmutation page, with this as one of them?
Conceptual transmutation fits much better under Conceptual Manipulation, and non-physical transmutation doesn't quite seem to fit either.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Biological Transmutation/Conversion" and
"Inorganic Transmutation".
I personally think that biological manipulation, transmutation, and matter manipulation already overlap with each other in this area. We do not need even more overcomplication of and overlap for the issue.
Never mind. This seems to be it.

Back