• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New P&A Addition: Conversion (Vampirism, Werewolfism, Zombiesm, etc.)

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired

Request to add Conversion to the wiki's listing of Powers and Abilities.:
  • This is one of the most abundant powers in fiction, dating back to classical folklore
  • Many characters have this specific power and not any of the other complementary powers suggested by its replacement P&A
    • This leads to the user having a better understanding of the character's powerset and not be confused by the otherwise face value assumptions.
  • Currently this ability is listed very unevenly, as Transmutation, Transformation, Biological Manipulation, Corruption, Matter Manipulation, etc. etc. I know context is a factor... but alot of these seem moreso just... puzzled as to what to list this ability as, independent of verse mechanic.
Noting all these, I feel most others will be in agreement with this thread

So would this work with creatures like The Thing? They convert organic cells into extensions of themselves through touch.

Just want to clarify the bounds and limitations of the ability.

What does this power do, exactly?
The list on the page is pretty extensive so give it a look it has pretty good examples and a long list at that.
This is has a lot of effort behind it

Idk, specifics could be argued after the concept alone is accepted.

So, ask again when we have sufficient input to present a draft

While I'm fine with this power, it should be explained where to draw the line between this power and the other possible alternatives that the OP mentions (Transmutation, Transformation, Biological Manipulation, Corruption, Matter Manipulation...), as otherwise we still have the issue of this being indexed inconsistently to begin with.

Currently my logic is Creature-to-Creature Transmutations where both ends have to be pre-existing creatures in verse setting

This power is generally associated to Corruption... however I do believe Corruption's name is ki d of misleading considering its meaning, and a name such Conversion is more appropriated.

I'm fine with this ability tho.

Would characters that can potentially use this ability via preparation count?

Like were-forms are generally only available at a certain time, place, via a curse, etc but once the terms are met they can freely "convert" others.

Nice, pretty simple so I agree with adding the ability to the wiki as its obviously quite common in fiction.

This is one of the most abundant powers in fiction, dating back to classical folklore
I am resisting the urge to be a wiseacre but yeah however I'd argue it is older thanks to fungi
Many characters have this specific power and not any of the other complementary powers suggested by its replacement P&A
Good point
Currently this ability is listed very unevenly, as Transmutation, Transformation, Biological Manipulation, Corruption, Matter Manipulation, etc. etc. I know context is a factor... but alot of these seem moreso just... puzzled as to what to list this ability as, independent of verse mechanic.
I understand that this is a problem but this just seems like it should be listed as a technique on the profile as the idea you are suggesting is the end result more than anything the way I see it is this should be used as an explanation page like omnipotence.

I understand that this is a problem but this just seems like it should be listed as a technique on the profile as the idea you are suggesting is the end result more than anything the way I see it is this should be used as an explanation page like omnipotence.
???
Can you give some examples to illustrate what would fit and wouldn't?
....fine

What fits:
  • Zombiefication by biting
  • Vampirism by biting
  • Dormammu (MCU) turning people into Mindless Ones
  • Ursula (Little Mermaid) turning mermaids into humans
What doesn't:
  • Petrification
  • General Transmutations like stone to gold, and human to non-living organisms, like humans to furniture
  • This ability through mundane to far more elaborate means, like surgery or whatnot
  • Self-use of this ability, that'll be shapeshifting or transformation
Gray Areas:
  • Humans to sentient objects, like how humans were in Beauty and the Beast
  • Robotization

I mean there is valid examples of Corruption like with Take in Destiny tho it could probably use a make over.

Corruption is like a Morality Manipulation combined with the power of transforming the target (some times). With Conversion being a thing now, I don't see the necessity of Corruption, as its only "unique" feature would be infectation (that by itself is the biological variation of Possession).

Corrupted characters don't always meet the requirements for Conversion, both powers can coexisist.

Yeah but if you're forcing this to be "Corruption vs. Converison", I think no doubt the far more inclusive terminology is conversion, so imo that isn't a negative against the P&A addition.

Anyways, @Antvasima care to input? :v

I dont see why this must be “Corruption vs Conversation” personally, they both have their places its just Corruption needs to be reamped.

If Corruption is basically the merging of multiple powers that could just be listed individually (given they can vary), then I would also support its removal at this point.

The concept of the new powers page itself is probably fine, but we need a better name for it that is more intuitively identifiable. "Biological Conversion" perhaps?

Also, are you certain that we shouldn't just expand the text with an extra section to the Biological Manipulation page instead? It seems considerably more convenient, with less need for widespread revisions to many pages.

Corruption is more so turning the target from good to evil. While conversion would mean turning the target into a different creature.

Typically the target would turn into creature of the one converting them like vampires would turn anyone they bite to a vampire as well but there could be exceptions.

For biological manipulation, it's possible to convert an angel's soul into a demon one and vice versa. Or anything similar to this. Conversion is most likely not limited to the physical and biological traits of an individual but also spiritual and non physical traits depending on the converter in question.

Actually, Morality manipulation is the power that turns people from good to evil and viceverse.
Exactly, which is why the name conversion would be more befitting than corruption. Since corruption is more associated with turning good people to evil.

Edit: Actually, I suggest instead of creating an entirely different page for conversion, it would be favorable to change the name of the corruption page to conversion and revise its contents. But I'm also fine with creating a separate page for conversion as well if that's what's agreed upon.

Last edited:
The concept of the new powers page itself is probably fine, but we need a better name for it that is more intuitively identifiable. "Biological Conversion" perhaps?

Also, are you certain that we shouldn't just expand the text with an extra section to the Biological Manipulation page instead? It seems considerably more convenient, with less need for widespread revisions to many pages.
It probably shouldn't be listed under Biology Manipulation because alot of verses don't necessarily consider biology at all. So I think this if we're less general with the "biological" association the more inclusive this can be :v

It probably shouldn't be listed under Biology Manipulation because alot of verses don't necessarily consider biology at all. So I think this if we're less general with the "biological" association the more inclusive this can be :v
Okay. How about "Physical Conversion" for a title then?

A lot of pages would need to be updated as a result of this though.

Also, please investigate if expanding Transmutation wouldn't work either.

Back