• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Monster VS Demon: Garou vs Akuma (Grace)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump
db0.gif

I suggest you to add the names of the characters to the title, it would help dragging attention

I don't know how the battle would unfold, then for now I'm listing what I think are the advantages of both and possible counters.

Akuma

-
Higher AP, as he could stomp PoN Ryu, who is stronger than his past self who could perform a 1.28 gigatons feat, while Garou somewhat upscales from 715.8 megatons - Garou can grow in power in the midst of battle and has his own stat amps

- Can amp his stats and enhance his strength even further by transforming into Shin Akuma, on top of using EX moves for another small and situational amp

- More experience, due to a lifetime of training and battles, including several formidable opponents - Garou is exceptionally talented, and in this form he can match Bang and surpass Bomb

- Higher range with projectiles and AoE attacks - Garou can reflect them and resist the heat of the fire-based ones (although they still have their own blunt force)

- The Shun Goku Satsu is a guaranteed oneshot

- Has good mobility options with the Ashura Senku and can nullify Garou's attacks with Rakan

Garou

-
Much higher Lifting Strength

- Can analyze and copy Akuma's style
- But can't replicate ki-based moves and techniques

- Most likely higher stamina on top of pain tolerance

- Can reflect Akuma's strength (and already mentioned projectiles) against him - Akuma would understand it and probably try to adapt or act in some way, instead of going full throttle again like brutes such as Fuhrer Ugly

- Several useful things such as better senses, adaptive fighting style, regeneration, unusual styles including Watchdog Man, Bang and Bomb's, analytical prediction, istinctive reactions

- Has his own acrobatics feat for an optimal mobility and is rather crafty with the environment

- Can target Pressure Points and launch flurry of danmaku-like attacks
- Akuma has experience fighting another Pressure Points user, Gen, who can alsounleash similar flurry of hits, which Akuma is able to parry

- I don't see it possibly for Garou to be stunned by Akuma - There's some chance Garou could be crumpled by Akuma's focus attacks

Specifically for that I don't think so, but Garou shouldn't be able to copy techniques revolving around ki manipulation.
If that counts, Akuma has plenty of experience fighting opponents that use his same style, although with their own unique traits (Ryu, Gouken, Goutetsu and Kage).

How about Garou's durability negation? He uses whirlwind wood Iron cutting fist to send shockwaves through the opponent's body. Does akuma have counter to that?

Since Ki empowers his entire body you might say his innards are as durable as his skin, or a bit less, but we don't have direct confirmation of it.

I suggest you to add the names of the characters to the title, it would help dragging attention

I don't know how the battle would unfold, then for now I'm listing what I think are the advantages of both and possible counters.

Akuma

-
Higher AP, as he could stomp PoN Ryu, who is stronger than his past self who could perform a 1.28 gigatons feat, while Garou somewhat upscales from 715.8 megatons - Garou can grow in power in the midst of battle and has his own stat amps

- Can amp his stats and enhance his strength even further by transforming into Shin Akuma, on top of using EX moves for another small and situational amp

- More experience, due to a lifetime of training and battles, including several formidable opponents - Garou is exceptionally talented, and in this form he can match Bang and surpass Bomb

- Higher range with projectiles and AoE attacks - Garou can reflect them and resist the heat of the fire-based ones (although they still have their own blunt force)

- The Shun Goku Satsu is a guaranteed oneshot

- Has good mobility options with the Ashura Senku and can nullify Garou's attacks with Rakan

Garou

-
Much higher Lifting Strength

- Can analyze and copy Akuma's style
- But can't replicate ki-based moves and techniques

- Most likely higher stamina on top of pain tolerance

- Can reflect Akuma's strength (and already mentioned projectiles) against him - Akuma would understand it and probably try to adapt or act in some way, instead of going full throttle again like brutes such as Fuhrer Ugly

- Several useful things such as better senses, adaptive fighting style, regeneration, unusual styles including Watchdog Man, Bang and Bomb's, analytical prediction, istinctive reactions

- Has his own acrobatics feat for an optimal mobility and is rather crafty with the environment

- Can target Pressure Points and launch flurry of danmaku-like attacks
- Akuma has experience fighting another Pressure Points user, Gen, who can alsounleash similar flurry of hits, which Akuma is able to parry

- I don't see it possibly for Garou to be stunned by Akuma - There's some chance Garou could be crumpled by Akuma's focus attacks
Excellent analysis. I'd like to mention that, of course, up to a certain point Akuma should have pressure point striking as well (any martial artist really), but yeah, Garou is a more prolific user of that, and in any case it isn't like Akuma cannot handle that. In fact, the weakness of pressure point-based fighting systems, aside from it depending on the opponent's biology being "average", is that it requires a very clean and precise hit. Garou has the precision, of course, but by shifting positions and applying defensive maneuvers, it isn't anything impossible to block.

I think Akuma should have acrobactics too, not to the extent Garou has of course but SF characters are incredibly mobile in general, and I remember Akuma leaping dozens of meters at a time in many different occasions.

And I won't deny that it is a useful thing that Garou can copy Akuma's style, but as I mentioned once and did an extensive blog post about, it isn't a very big skill feat.

I forgot to actually analyse this oops-

Saman did an excellent, excellent job analysing this, and all in a very concise manner. I very much agree with all the points presented, with only a few, small addendums that I already mentioned. With those points in mind, I personally see the following happening.

Very quickly, Garou would notice that it would be a very bad idea trying to match Akuma in his playing field, that is striking. Not only I'd argue that Akuma's skill in that department may be actually close to Garou's own, despite Garou having many useful powers to complement his already amazing skill, but as presented here, Akuma is way stronger than Garou in his individual strikes. Garou is smart, great at analysing and gauging strength, so he'd either adopt a grappling initiative or a more more evasive, defensive style.

Going grappling is less simple than it looks like. Not only Akuma has the shadowstep-ish ability where he dashes with afterimages, which can be useful to get out of a bind, but he also is very skilled at grappling. Now, Garou is vastly stronger in LS and he can make a chokehold, submission or smack Akuma around, but here's the thing. One of the methods of getting out of a bind is smashing the person really hard and repeatedly to coerce them through pain or sheer physical damage. Pain won't work on Garou - His tolerance to pain is astounding. Physical integrity compromise may be possible, however; Akuma is certainly strong enough for that, and if push comes to shove, he can use a Focus Attack. Now, even in those scenarios, Garou would manage to do some damage and tiring to Akuma, and winning by submission is a very good option.

Plus, another matter here is Garou's adaptation. Changing his styles mid-fight and adapting to Akuma's own will be helpful enough (Not that much as Akuma is used to fighting people of all types), but the biggest factor here is his strength growing, which he needs to do in order to have a chance to win. It is possible for it to happen in the grappling scenario, but a bit unlikely as the fight would become so close-ranged that either Garou would choke him out anyway, or Akuma would destroy him before he could fully adapt. Garou would need to use his acrobatic skill and all of his tricks and abilities to stay on his feet and wear Akuma out while growing stronger. The longer the fight goes on, the greater are his chances of adapting.

But that brings a whole new slew of problems.

Not only Garou will need to adapt a lot to get to Akuma's strength level, there is also the factor that the longer the fight drags on, the more likely Akuma is to use a Shun Goku Satsu. I've avoided talking about it until now, because Akuma usually doesn't go for it on the get-go. In fact, he prefers to have satisfying fights without having to rely on it. But, if there is a key moment presented to him or if he sees it as a finishing blow, Akuma will go for it. The moment he does, unless Garou's instincts are razor-sharp and he is very ready for it, he will lose instantly. And there's also the fact that if Garou starts getting close to Akuma's power and starts beating him, well...

Shin Akuma.

Shin Akuma is bad. Like, real bad. He not only becomes far stronger, quicker and more durable, but that means he will fight to tooth and nail using everything. The opponent has proven worthy to face him 100% seriously. Not only that increases a lot his chances of using a Raging Demon in Garou, but it also means he will completely and utterly abuse whatever advantages he has to punk Garou. At that point, Garou's chances are rather unlikely, but not impossible. He can keep adapting, and his reflection skills will be at their most useful here. If he manages to endure the hardship and stay on his feet, he will have a good shot at winning this.

Personally, I'd favour Akuma winning with a lot of difficulties, but it is close enough that it's like, 6/10 times. I can fully see either winning this.

Last edited:
Reminder that Garou's RE also increases his speed as seen in both Garou vs Orochi and Garou vs Darkshine,
and he also has awakening breath, who should be at least a x2 amp, since Bang believed that by using it he could defeat a powered up version of the Elder centipede ( Albeit at the cost of his life), with it's pre-molt form requiring joint attacks between Bang and Bomb to be damaged

Reminder that Garou's RE also increases his speed as seen in both Garou vs Orochi and Garou vs Darkshine,
and he also has awakening breath, who should be at least a x2 amp, since Bang believed that by using it he could defeat a powered up version of the Elder centipede ( Albeit at the cost of his life), with it's pre-molt form requiring joint attacks between Bang and Bomb to be damaged
I've taken that into account.

That isn't exactly 2x, a bit less if he'd die in the process. But yeah, that's one of the key stat amps that Garou has. Problem is, Akuma has more amps too.

Garou adapting and growing faster might actually be bad for him, as it increases the chances of Akuma amping himself or performing the Shun Goku Satsu before Garou manages to wore him out and/or understand or adapt completely.

Last edited:
Garou adapting and growing faster might actually be bad for him, as it increases the chances of Akuma amping himself or performing the Shun Goku Satsu before Garou manages to worn him out and/or understand or adapt completely.
Yeah, that's exactly my point.

That's why I'm voting for Akuma.

Thrs so much street fighter content book, manga, movies, games and iirc akuma scales to the stronger end of it all i refuse to believe garou outskills him wtf

Thrs so much street fighter content book, manga, movies, games and iirc akuma scales to the stronger end of it all i refuse to believe garou outskills him wtf
Hooo boy, if this was UDON comics Akuma, Garou would melt like snow in a pan-

I forgot to cast my vote, I thought I already did it.

I'm voting Akuma FRA, although with just a couple of elements more Garou might have taken it, and still has great chances to win.

Leaning on Akuma FRA.
What exactly constitutes an Inconclusive? EliminatorVenom presented great points for both sides, and came to the conclusion that either character could end up defeating each other, depending really entirely on how Garou responds to Shin Akuma. Is that enough to vote for an Inconclusive outcome, rather than a definite one?

Leaning on Akuma FRA.
What exactly constitutes an Inconclusive? EliminatorVenom presented great points for both sides, and came to the conclusion that either character could end up defeating each other, depending really entirely on how Garou responds to Shin Akuma. Is that enough to vote for an Inconclusive outcome, rather than a definite one?
I personally consider matches to be inconclusive when the fight really could go any way about 50% of the time (with some give) or when there is no conceivable way to defeat the other.

In this fight, I think it is a bit more likely for Akuma to win as the Shun Goku Satsu becomes increasingly more likely to happen the longer the fights drags on, which is needed for Garou to win in most scenarios. However, I wouldn't judge anyone saying incon for the rasons I said. The question is whether you consider Akuma's advantages being enough to grant him a more likely victory of it it would be still mostly equally likely for both to win. As I said, I favour Akuma thanks to his very superior strength, ruthlessness and Shun Goku Satsu, but there's really a lot of consideration here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back