• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Melting Ice related feats

Hi, could someone here help me a bit on what to do about feats revolving around melting iceburgs or glaciers?

There is a feat that I want to calc myself and the character doing it is using an energy blast to melt a large iceburg via harnassing the energy of a snow storm. But im not entirely sure on how to properly begin calcing it.

So if anyone could give some pointers or assistance, it'd be a great help.

Ok bro. Grab your pen, and take notes.

First, you need to figure out the weight of the iceberg (kg), the specific heat of water (J/kg) and the temperature change (K). You plug that into the formula | weight x specific heat x temperature change

The next step is the change in state. You multiply the water enthalpy of fusion by it's weight to get that.

Add your two results togther and Bob's your uncle

Okay...

The weight I get but how would we figure out the specific heat of water and temperature change? (might be a dumb question but this is my first time doing a melting ice feat so I just want to know as much as possible).

Specific heat of water is 4184 J/kg

Temperature change is the difference in Kelvin from the starting temperature and the finishing temperature. Icebergs are normally -15 degrees Celcius, and water melts at 0 degrees Celcius, so the temperature change would be around 15 Kelvin

Okay, and another question. What if the character in question is using an attack that arguably applies much greater heat?

I mentioned that the character here harnassed the power of a snow storm to melt the iceberg and the storm involved lightning bolts being absorbed. And as we both know, lightning bolts have a very high temperature.

Would that mean anything or no?

In that case, one could make the argument that he had to use the energy of the lightning bolts to even reach the point where he had enough energy to melt the iceberg. But again, for a high-end, you could argue that the character's energy blast heated the iceberg to the temperature of the lightning (5726.7 Celcius). It's really up to you

Okay. For arguments sake i'll use the regular specific heat for water. Speaking hypothetically, lets say:

-X Iceberg is 100,000 kg

-Specific heat of water is 4184 J/kg

-Temperature change is 15 K

According to you, the formula is weight x specific heat x temperature change.

100,000 x 4184 x 15 = 6276000000

Then we multiply the mass by the material's heat of fusion.

Heat of fusion for water = 334160 J/kg

100,000 x 334160 = 33416000000

Then by adding the 2 results together:

We get 3.9692x10^10 J

Rough example but this would be the correct method yes?

Im going to make another thread in a min that I also think you could probably in if it's not an issue?

Wait, just another small question.

Lets say that I do want to use the temperature of lightning. Would 5726.7 C be my specific heat capacity or change in temperature?

Neither. Specific heat, as long as you are using water/ice, will always be 4184 J/kg

5726.7 C is the final heat. Say you started from -10 C, then the change in temperature would be 5736.7 K.

Hmm okay. That makes sense now lol.

I wish this wiki had some way of actually looking for example calcs of an x feat so I wouldnt have to search and ask so much.

Btw, looking at some melting calcs that I did manage to look up, im now questioning the method a bit out of confusion.

For the change in state formula, is that an alternate method to find energy from melting feats or are both all the same formula?

Back