• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Comics: Possible Yggdrasil Upgrade (Staff only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued from here: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/3850463

Overview:
This thread is meant to evaluate exactly how much of the Marvel multiverse Yggdrasil (otherwise known as The World Tree) encompasses. Yggdrasil is a central part of Marvel's Thor series, and many of the larger feats involving the Thor cast deal with someone damaging, affecting, or otherwise posing some level of threat to Yggdrasil. While the structure is traditionally portrayed as only supporting 9-10 realms (which have been confirmed to be entire universes), some concern has recently been raised that Yggdrasil may in fact encompass much more of the Marvel multiverse. There are more or less two perspectives on this.

• 1. Perhaps Yggdrasil functions similarly to Eternity and Marvel's other abstract beings. That is to say, perhaps there is one massive Yggdrasil that encompasses the entire Low 1-A structure of Marvel while each individual Marvel reality also hosts a smaller Yggdrasil manifestation that only supports 9-10 universes. Any scans that seem to suggest Yggdrasil only has 9-10 universes are either statements made by a character who doesn't know any better or are only referring to a Yggdrasil manifestatio rather than the true World Tree.
  • 2. Perhaps Yggdrasil functions similarly to a standard Marvel structure. That is to say, perhaps one Yggdrasil exists in each Marvel reality, supporting 9-10 universes, but no such higher dimensional Yggdrasil exists. Any scans suggesting the existence of a Low 1-A Yggdrasil are either taken out of context or are a part of a recent revamp to the Marvel multiverse and therefore, cannot be back-scaled to upgrade any previous feats of characters affecting the structure.
Were Perspective #1 to be adopted, all previous threats to Yggdrasil would need to be reevaluated to determine whether the full structure was in danger or just a manifestation. Proponents of this theory currently suggest that the only long-reaching effects would be a Low 1-A upgrade to Rune King Thor and Those Who Sit Above In Shadow, but concerns have been raised about similar feats performed by Odi, Seth, Surtur , and several other Marvel characters currently rated as 2-C.

Were Perspective #2 to be adopted, nothing would change.

Below are some relevant arguments for both perspectives. Neither list is exhaustive, but I made a good faith effort to include talking points which have not been dropped or have not reached a unanimous conclusion yet. I encourage people to read the arguments and evaluate the reasoning on both sides without bias. If you have anything to add to either side, please do so in a comprehensive and polite manner, making it as easy to understand as possible. In the interest of full disclosure, I am against the upgrade right now. Please let us know your opinion in the replies. I am the original author for several of the "Against" arguments, so if that section seems more exhaustive, it is because I am more familiar with it. Don't let that sway your decision. If any argument in this opening post is not represented properly, understand that it is a result of my own shortcomings in recalling, comprehending, and/or communicating the argument. I am unconscious of any such errors, but if any are found to exist, I kindly request that these last few sentences be viewed as an apology in advance. It is my honest desire that this thread should find itself to the most accurate and representative conclusion within the scope of this wiki's abilities.

Arguments For Low 1-A Yggdrasil

Arguments Against Low 1-A Yggdrasil

I am firmly on the against side for the time being, as I clarified extensively in the previous thread.

This seems very biased, it was not necessary to create a new thread, and this just decontextualized all the conversation everyone had on the other thread, which was even closed in the middle of the discussion.

For the tenth time after several ignored in what was spoken.

The againt side is trying to employ that the expression used by Seth's speaking grammar is entirely semantic and does not match infinite planes of reality.

First, no matter how you interpret plans, be it universes, realms, or whatever, the point is "they were still infinite"

The question to be interpreted is, what was Seth's goal?

Seth would use his army to invade all the infinite plans of space and time, so he says:

The verbal conjugation is simple and clear, clearer than the fluency of this grammar only the sun, Seth was preparing to attack infinite planes of reality with his army, since they had no strength to oppose the number of his soldiers.

Also, in this arc every plane of reality were infinite in numbers, as the seth right there speaks. So yggdrasil encompass all of them via:

we cannot assume that every time a writer mentions something being "outside all realities" they are making an intentional reference to The Outside.

Starting here, the two mentions happen in just a single comic, it's not even 10 difference issues in the same title.

So yes, when he said OUTSIDE all the realms and realities, he was mentioning the outside, please stop manipulating the comic, which Loki himself says in the comic that TSWAIS may be the beyonders or the writers.

That's an extremely good point, your theory says they came from the multiverse along with Loki, but how did they go back to Multiverse if it no longer existed?

That's a rhetorical question, where the answer is: They went to anything beyond the multiverse, in the outside, after all the multiverse no longer existed in loki's comic.

So yes, TWSAIS are natural from the outside.

I've already described two counterarguments for this, one here, and one here, anyone can go there and evaluate, I'm not going to write another answer to which it wasn't highlighted here.

And again, the larger context would favor my interpretation, I think, because the entire plot of the story is a universe outside of the Asgardian cosmology

Here's the point, I ask everyone to pay attention to this placement "according to asgardian cosmology" and then look that Thor himself says that the Asgardian cosmology was wrong and that Odin lied about universes in yggdrasil.

Even Heimdall, who sees everything within the confines of Yggdrasil, only starts to freak out after the invaders from another realm cross over into the local nine universes. This implies that he could not see them before, which further suggests that they were not a part of Yggdrasil.

Please read again what was said, Heimdall was seeing a vision of the future, THE END OF ALL THINGS, not "I can't see the people of ano-athox and this implies they are outside of yggdrasil". We obviously cannot vastly exaggerate our interpretation beyond that scale.

To avoid that the discussion goes in circles again, I would much prefer if it is focused on the staff alone. You are not allowed to comment here. If people want to see your take on this, they can check the previous thread.

Antvasima said:
To avoid that the discussion goes in circles again, I would much prefer if it is focused on the staff alone. You are not allowed to comment here. If people want to see your take on this, they can check the previous thread.
I can agree to this standard.

Neither ClassicNESFan nor Alonik/Driger will be allowed to comment due to not being staff members, so we can be solely focused on the unbiased staff input.

Hmmm, I think I'm against this as well, I don't have much experience with Thor (Symbiotes / Spidey / Darkhawk is where I'm probably better at), but from the thread and the op's list, it seems to be reliant on a few showings of possibly tier 1 rather than the far more consistent lower showings.

As I've previously said on the past thread, I am in agreement with this as well. Although one thing that is bothering me in particular is the idea of Rune King Thor scaling to the recent showings of Yggdrasil being "backscaling to comics written before it was portrayed on such a scale". This is something that is blatantly contradicted by the comics themselves, such as in AI Ewing's own writing (Loki: Agent of Asgard in specific), where Rune King Thor killing Those-Who-Sit-Above-In-Shadow is actually acknowledged as something that did happen by Odin, instead of just being ignored.

So, yeah, that's not a valid argument at all.

I didn't read all of this but I can tell this; it looks good, but I wouldn't support with it as I suspect it to be very inconsistent with all the other portrayals of this things in all other instances, which is what should matter the most as those scans could say anything and we would try to roll with it...which is very much what a tier 1 upgrade is.

Kepekley23 said:
It might also be best to ask a neutral/unbiased person to rewrite the OP by seeing the former thread, then.
Idk or think that he's bias but yes, that would help.

I also found this entire continuation thread very ill-defined and suspect, considering the other thread was not even close to completion just yet (it still had nearly 200 posts to go).

This thread also completely decontextualized the other thread and shut off the ongoing discussion, making it difficult for either sides to continue the debate.

We should either delete this thread and return to the old one, or ask someone who is unbiased to rewrite it, since neither NESFan nor Alonik and the others who agreea are allowed to comment here

I suppose a good place to start is recording when these statements took place. Are they recent additions to the Modern Marvel, or were they there since the Classic Era.

@Kepekley

I just want to avoid the extremely tiresome, frustrating, and time-wasting repetition of the preceding thread. That is all. In addition, Alonik and Driger gave me the impression of being similar to Seed in repeatedly completely misrepresenting and misunderstanding the contexts of various storylines and trying to fit them all together even though they were completely unrelated works of different writers a long time apart in a setting that continuously contradicts itself.

@Ultima

The problem is that within the original "Ragnarok" storyline itself, it was made clear that Rune King Thor has ascended beyond his father Odin, and broke the 9 worlds/universes from their cycle of repeated Ragnaroks, but not anything else far beyond that.

Also, as I mentioned previously, what was later established about Those Who Sit Above In Shadow is that they were likely creations of the Norse deities' own belief systems in higher powers, and that they could survive outside of the Marvel multiverse at a time when Glorian, Loki, The Silver Surfer, and two mostly regular human were shown to be able to do so as well.

In addition, there does not seem to be any good reason for counting Rune King Thor's Yggdrasil feat as automatically Low 1-A, whereas when Surtur (Marvel Comics) threatened to destroy the tree, it was just 2-C, and given that this feat is what all our 2-C Marvel characters scale from, we would eventually end up with having to upgrade all of Marvel's universal cosmic entities to Low 1-A as well, which doesn't make any sense, and would make our pages completely unreliable, which I am allergic to.

Also, in the current Thor story, Yggdrasil is once again threatened with destruction, this time by a mere universe-destroying plague, if I understood correctly. So should we start to give enormously exaggerate upgrades from now onwards whenever any characters display the power to threaten the tree?

@Kepekley

Also, ClassicNESfan is the most objectively analytical informed member that we seem to have available for this topic, and thoroughly displayed both sides of the argument. Unless Sera is willing to rewrite the opening post, I don't see how what you argue for would be an improvement.

The problem is that within the original "Ragnarok" storyline itself, it was made clear that Rune King Thor has ascended beyond his father Odin, and broke the 9 worlds/universes from their cycle of repeated Ragnaroks, but not anything else far beyond that.

This is irrelevant, considering that the Ragnarok storyline is, again, acknowledged as something that did happen, so we can't simply dismiss it as backscaling between unrelated stories when that's objectively not the case.

Also, as I mentioned previously, what was later established about Those Who Sit Above In Shadow is that they were likely creations of the Norse deities own belief systems in higher powers, and that they could survive outside of the Marvel multiverse at a time when Glorian, Loki, The Silver Surfer, and two mostly regular human were shown to be able to do so as well.

This is not confirmed whatsoever. Loki himself says that he was just bluffing by threatening to reveal the story of Those-Who-Sit-Above-In-Shadow and doesn't really know if they created the Gods or if the Gods created them. This makes basically no difference in the first place anyways, since even them being created by the beliefs of the Asgardians wouldn't necessarily prevent them from being Tier 1. Even Eternity and the rest of the Cosmic Compass were shown to be shaped by the unconscious of humans in several occasions, such as in Strange Tales, where Eternity is explicitly described as a "man-spawned concept, or in Mighty Avengers #30, where Hank Pym's perception of the Universe affected the way Eternity behaved to him.

Well, I still think that we should go by what was established by the story itself, in order to avoid massive exaggerated upgrades, and my point is that we have no concrete proof of the actual power level of TWSAIS other than that they are considerably more powerful than Odi. Speculating about that they are as high as tier Low 1-A simply because they could survive outside of the multiverse seems very unreliable.

I don't see any reason to do this, though, considering Ragnarok itself is a very isolated storyline and Rune King Thor barely has any feats besides destroying the Loom of Fate and exploding Yggdrasil, so the idea that him being 1-A is an outlier is out of the question. Portrayal << Feats. Always, and I'd appreciate if you stopped treating every single storyline in Marvel as existing in some void disconnected from one another, even if two storylines outright reference each other, it gets annoying after a while.

As far as I know, their whole thing is that they lie outside and above everything, "in shadows", isn't it? Odin flat out states that their plane exists outside of all realms and all realities, and we objectively know that the full span of the Marvel Multiverse has infinite-dimensional worlds and constructs anyways, such as the Crossroads of Infinity. Loki even implies that their realm was unaffected by the destruction of the Omniverse, as far as I recall, so there's also that.

Well, I still stand by what I stated earlier. Also, how exactly would we avoid having to scale all characters who have threatened and will ever threaten Yggdrasil as tier Low 1-A, regardless how little sense it would make based on how it was portrayed in the storyline?

RKT breaks the Yggdrasil cycle of Ragnarok for the local 9 universes -> Low 1-A Rune King Thor.

Surtur threatens the Yggdrasil with destruction -> Low 1-A for all current tier 2 universal Marvel characters scaled from this feat or being above it.

A universe-destroying rot or plague threatens the Yggdrasil in current Thor comicbooks, and regular Odinforce Thor and Galactus are likely going to defeat it -> Low 1-A for all tier 2 universal Marvel characters as well.

Antvasima said:
@Kepekley

Also, ClassicNESfan is the most objectively analytical informed member that we seem to have available for this topic, and thoroughly displayed both sides of the argument. Unless Sera is willing to rewrite the opening post, I don't see how what you argue for would be an improvement.
ClassicNESFan is the guy who agrees with you. That's the only reason you're saying this. Not like it matters anyway considering he is not allowed to comment here.

I could easily state that Alonik and Driger have shown far more widespread knowledge of Marvel Comics than he ever has and that they are far more suited to decide the topic, because to me that is the case, but trying to peg anyone here as some omniscient person that can't be wrong is a hilariously flawed way of going about this.

This entire thread is a hilariously flawed way of approaching the topic, considering you handed the OP to someone who agrees with your point of view & you're allowing random staff members who have no particular knowledge on the franchise and who will not be able to see the entire debate for context to decide now.

Antvasima said:
Well, I still stand by what I stated earlier. Also, how exactly would we avoid having to scale all characters who have threatened and will ever threaten Yggdrasil as tier Low 1-A, regardless how little sense it would make based on how it was portrayed in the storyline?

RKT breaks the Yggdrasil cycle of Ragnarok for the local 9 universes -> Low 1-A Rune King Thor.

Surtur threatens the Yggdrasil with destruction -> Low 1-A for all current tier 2 universal Marvel characters scaled from this feat or being above it.

A universe-destroying rot or plague threatens the Yggdrasil in current Thor comicbooks, and regular Odinforce Thor and Galactus are likely going to defeat it -> Low 1-A for all tier 2 universal Marvel characters as well.
1. At this point I think there's literally nothing that will make you point, regardless of many times it is refuted, so...sure, go ahead and keep arguing that.

2. The Black Winter is implied to have destroyed the Sixth Multiverse according to the storyline, so that isn't even true.

From my viewpoint the scans that Alonik and Driger linked to were almost uniformly very misrepresented and unreliable, whereas ClassicNESfan was levelheaded, objective, and rational (similarly to PrinceOfTheMorning and Sandman31, but they are unfortunately inactive nowadays), and I think that he handled the above summary in an evenhanded manner.

I was also severely sick and tired of the argument going on and on in circles for weeks when I have many other tasks to constantly take care of, so I wanted this to be decisively dealt with.

If you can figure out some genuinely logical workable solution to how we should avoid that all Yggdrasil-threatening events throughout Marvel's history result in almost all the tier 2 Marvel characters being upgraded to Low 1-A, I would still consider this as exaggerated and unreliable, but not as a disaster in the making, so I would probably be willing to compromise just to get a stop to this tiresome situation. However, I don't remember receiving a good explanation for this yet, so I would appreciate help in this regard.

You can stick to your point of view on NESFan's debatable rationality, I have nothing to say to that, but that doesn't change the fact that the arguments of the other side were being presented in a relatively concise manner and reliable staff members were agreeing with it.

I don't approve at all of the way you handled this, and you're undeniably not being a neutral or unbiased person when approaching this topic.

We have explained time and time again why Surtur doesn't scale to the full tree and why Thor scales, namely the fact that Surtur himself stated the full tree was completely beyond both himself and Odin & Thor destroyed the tapestry of the Norns and killed the TWSAIS, but you just keep ignoring everything and coming back with the exact same debunked wash 50 posts later. Most people are not even acknowledging your posts, because they're sure it will be the exact same thing with no new arguments brought to the table. At this point I'm not sure how this can progress when you're so blatantly not willing to listen to anything that is thrown your way, no matter what. Sorry.

Well, I am extremely tired of this argument, so that likely affects my sense of judgement. Anyway, alright then. I still find this very exaggerated and to use patchwork scaling, but I suppose that you can upgrade Rune King Thor and Those Who Sit Above In Shadow to Low 1-A, but then you need to write footnote explanations in the Thor, Odin, and Surtur pages regarding that other Yggdrasil feats that only affect the local 9 or 10 universes only scale to 2-C.

It doesn't seem like we will get more input, so we can probably apply this soon.

I do not at all appreciate the accusations of deliberate bias though. I am trying to be as objectively critical thinking as I can manage under the pressure of being distracted by lots of different tasks, even if it is hard to keep exact track when constantly jumping back and forth.

The issue here is that I have actually read the vast majority of the references stories in the past, and have a vastly different interpretation of them, but am starting to feel like it is hard to make other people listen to my valid concerns, and that I am not allowed to have an opinion regarding this subject without being subjected to accusations, even though I think that our statistics for the franchise are unreliable and increasingly getting out of control, which is a major concern for my obsessively picky and perfectionistic mindset.

I'm neutral here, but I think Ultima Reality and Kepekley are making sense regarding the tiers. And I do strongly agree with Antvasima that the bold accusations coming from Kepekley are heavily uncalled for. It's important for the thread to remain civil.

Well, I have admittedly been too irritable and frustrated in the preceding thread, so I am equally at fault in that regard. My apologies about that.

True enough, and understandable; happens even to the best of us. Myself included.

Should I allow ClassicNESfan, Alonik, and Driger to comment here?

Antvasima said:
Should I allow ClassicNESfan, Alonik, and Driger to comment here?
I believe that's better than just having people agree with a limited perspective of this debate.

Okay. Thank you. Let's put this behind us then. I am admittedly triggered by lengthy tiresome Marvel upgrade discussions due to having to deal with so many of them for the past 5 years.

Anyway, ClassicNESfan, Alonik, Driger, and all of the non-staff members that ClassicNESfan invited are allowed to comment here then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back