• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Azathoth_the_Abyssal_Idiot

VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
I noticed that M.O.D.O.K. was rated as 4-B. I'm not sure if I'm out of the loop or if this is extremely inaccurate, but the scans on his page aren't exactly helping.

First of all, one of the reasons for his 4-B tier is defeating Hulk. The issue is the scans provided on his page not only show him failing to do significant damage to Hulk, but also being taken out in a single punch when Hulk actually gets close.

There are more scans linked, claiming he defeated Red Hulk, as well. However, in context, this isn't remotely impressive. M.O.D.O.K. only causes Red Hulk internal bleeding by shooting him from behind after he had already been ambushed and impaled by the Gammadroid, who had been further augmented by cosmic energy. Furthermore, M.O.D.O.K. stating this to be a battle Red Hulk couldn't win was due to the cosmic-powered Hulk robot that beat the shit out of him on the following pages. It had nothing to do with being unable to beat M.O.D.O.K. himself.

Neither of the feats linked come remotely close to justifying 4-B. The page also mentions M.O.D.O.K. being able to casually one-shot She-Hulk and Abomination, which would make him High 5-A, but no actual examples are provided.

Could someone help me out, here?

Looking through the respect thread, he seems to consistently be able to compete against Iron Man and Ms. Marvel, which would be solid High 6-C.

Him hurting Hulk and Abomination is in no way 4-B, as looking through the full context, both were very weak when he actually damages him. A madder, more Hulk-like Hulk even shrugs off his attacks one-shots him, later, which I posted in the OP.

He seems to have been able to hurt Red She-Hulk, but the issue here is that I don't remember the full context, and this could quite possibly be a major outlier for someone consistently put on Iron Man levels.

Well, he once killed the Abomination via vaporisation, but I agree that he is not nearly this powerful in most of his appearances.

You should probably ask Matthew and Sandman31 to comment here.

So which version of Iron Man should we scale him from?

@Ant

I believe Iron Man was in his Model 8 suit (High 7-A) when M.O.D.O.K. stalemated him, but he was also shown as being comparable to Ms. Marvel (High 6-C), so I don't think it would be too far fetched to assume he also scales to Model 9.

I think he later fought Model 51 at some point, but I don't remember the circumstances or if Tony actually struggled.

That seems like it could support High 5-A in some circumstances, unless this is also deemed an outlier due to the fact that M.O.D.O.K. matching the "ultimate" Iron Man suit would contradict him being matched by far lesser Iron Man suits on other occasions.

Then again, I don't remember all of Model 51's super high feats aside from Tony punching FFF, and the other feats listed for it on his page are casually catching the punch of a character who is listed as "Unknown" and...matching M.O.D.O.K., which just makes things more confusing.

Did he fight M.O.D.O.K. in the same story arc? That would help with just how powerful he was supposed to be portrayed as.

We could always give the guy keys if it's hard to pin down one value, scaling him to various Iron Man suits throughout the years, but I personally don't know how accurate that would be. Just throwing it out there as an option.

Its not his "Ultimate Armor", it just a combination of all of his armors

Otherwise he would be freaking 2-C due to being superior to the Phoenix-Buster.

Doesn't MODOK upgrade his armors and weapons too like Tony?

I wonder if this would affect Iron Man Tier too.

I have been working on a revision since past year, and any change could screw over all of my work.

So what should we preferably rescale him to?

@Ant

Somewhere between High 7-A and High 5-A. He shouldn't exceed Tony's tier. We're just trying to figure out exactly where to put him/if he needs keys and such.

If he has gradually upgraded his powers and equipment we might have to scale him from more recent showings.

I remember a few High 5-A/4-B feats for MODOK from back when we were adding the Model Prime key for Iron Man, lemme see if i can find them

High 6-C, possibly High 5-A would be decent with just acknowledging the potential of outliers, as long as he doesn't need other keys.

Okay, he's consistently portrayed on the level of Red She Hulk and Abomination, the later of which he actually made beg for mercy and then killed. I'll pull up scans.

So should we go with "At least High 6-C, possibly High 5-A" or just "High 5-A"?

I lean more towards High 6-C personally

A few minor things after reading some more M.O.D.O.K. goodness:

• I have strong doubts that Abomination was remotely High 5-A in the comic where he's killed by MODOK, and this isn't solely because the feat that makes him this Tier belongs to another character and is performed 20+ years later. Abomination in said story arc is portrayed as extremely weak compared to the Hulk. Hulk has Banner's mind, which grants him complete control, but explicitly made him much, much weaker and removed his rage boost powers, which the Abomination confirms.
I really think saying MODOK is High 5-A for killing this guy while ignoring the rest of the story's context is kinda pushing it.

• However, blasting Red She-Hulk seems legit, and I assume fighting Model 51 Iron Man is, as well. Stuff like this is why I don't have a problem adding "Possibly High 5-A", but it depends on if others think that it an acceptable level.
  • I still find myself leaning most towards "At least High 6-C, possibly High 5-A", but it depends on what others think. I believe solid "High 5-A" is too high for the levels the character is usually portrayed at, but also think just "High 6-C" could quite possibly be selling him short based on some of his other feats. Still, I suppose part of the issue is MODOK not having as many combat feats/showings as someone like Tony, making it hard to fully determine what's legitimate and what isn't.

At least High 6-C, possibly High 5-A should be fine

Also should he have a key for the MODOK Machine?

I agree with Azzy here, as before. I think it's important to acknowledge both sides of this.

But High 6-C, possibly 5-A was my suggestion.

Back