• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lovecraft 1-A levels question

Lovecraft is well known in many debating communities as one of the top 1-A verses right? I just wanna ask something regarding about that. Is there a system or anything similar in Lovecraft where among the infinite number of Other/Ultimate Gods, each of them are set in a hierarchy(similar to Masadaverse's Taikyoku or Umineko's ladder)?

yes. an example would be that nyarla would be considered one of the weakest from while shub is considered one of the strongest, there is a higharchy between them. however there is a similar system like that present in the mythos which is the gates system. basically all of totalitty and the infinite dimensional multiverse/omniverse of the mythos exists before the first gate. then to reach the first gate you would have to go through a countless number of 1-A realms to reach it. beyond the first gate, the beings that "exist" there are so transendent that they are 1-A in the same way 1-A great old ones are to 3D humans. this is repeated infinitly as thier are an infinite number of gates until you reach the ultimate where the outergods lay beyond who are completely transendent of the higharchy of the gates. then as mentioned before there is a whole higharchy between the outer gods themselves which is also infinite due to thier infinite number.

@Overlord

Is the countless number of 1-A realms you're referring to is the "limitless vacua" in Hypnos? If so then I see.

@beyond the first gate, the beings that "exist" there are so transendent that they are 1-A in the same way 1-A great old ones are to 3D humans.

Do you have a quote to support this?

@infinite number of gates

This as well.

@there is a whole higharchy between the outer gods themselves which is also infinite due to thier infinite number

A quote for this as well, just because a group of entities are infinite that doesn't necessarily mean that there's an infinite gap between each unless clarified.

its all in the blogpost my friend. its in the cthulhu mythos page, you should find a link for it there. as for the higharchy of the outer gods, its an infinite higharchy due for example that nyarla is one of the weakest outer gods and there is an infinite amount of outer gods above him which shows an infinite higharchy. for the gates question, hypnos was an infinite 1-A being due to him passing through an infinite amount of these realms without breaking a sweat but even he was shattered and killed after passing through the first gate and he was horrfied of the creatures that lay beyond the first gate. as for the amount of gates question i am positive that it is infinite but unsure as a quote states that randolph carter saw mutliple gates when he looked behind himself while he was journeying to the ultimate gate. i assumed it was infinite due to the nature of the mythos.

its really confusing which is why i have been waiting for azathoth to get an answer but he been unforutantly incredibly busy lately. though i am atleast positive its more than 2 or three due to carter witnessing multiple gates.

pretty good respect thread, seems to align with most of my interpreatations of the mythos but unfortuantly it still doesnt answer the question of how many gates there are definitavly

I guess we will never know, through the gates of the silver key is actually much more vague than most believe.

very true my friend, perhaps its left vague so we can fill it with our own interpretations? i am unsure, it does go with the idea of the unknown and the fear of the unknown, all of this just incomprehensible but quiet cool.

@Overlord

I read the book where it's from(Through the Gate of the Silver Key and others). That's why I asked if there are infinite number of gates because I'm aware that it has been stated to have multiple number of Gates and nothing else. That doesn't correlate to infinity, infinite Gates are just speculation until proven otherwise.

I've asked for the specific supporting quote when you claimed this "beyond the first gate, the beings that "exist" there are so transendent that they are 1-A in the same way 1-A great old ones are to 3D humans" I wanna know how that led to your interpretation.

Nyarlathothep isn't one of the weakest one though, in fact he represents all of the Other Gods(save for Yog and Azzy) as he is described as their collective soul. The Ultimate Gods being infinite in number doesn't necessarily mean that the difference between each one is a degree of transcendence like Masada or Umineko tho, that's why I asked for a specific quote that supports your claim.

Ps. I've already read both respect threads before reading LC like 4-5 months ago and I read them repeatedly, analysing each sentence and paragraph in context though I wasn't able to find them. That's why I'm asking for your guys' help.

if you want a definative answer for all your questions then i would recommend asking azzy as he would most likely know however he is unfortunatly very busy. you could look into the knowledgbale members group in the cthulhu mythos page and they will probably be able to answer. i am also positive that some of your questions are answered by azzy's respect thread though it seems you are looking for quotes and explanations for these quotes but there is honeslty non-better than azzy himself and he is very busy.

I already messaged Azzy yesterday and yes he is very busy. I'm just going to message the other knowledgeable members in the verse to participate in this thread and possibly satisfy my needs.

Back